Blockstorm, voxel FPS

If it ain't Spades...
17 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
CalenLoki
Deuce

Recently I found something new in voxel shooters genre.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/26306 ... 1100__1100
Trailer looks nice, despite no building shown. Destruction seems to keep good level, unlike Jagex "destroy half of map in 5 minutes" bullshit. Olso leaving gameplay settings (available weapons, ect.) to server owners promiss diversity.
Anyone played? Thoughts? Opinions?
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

Already looking at the trailer I can tell the gameplay is as clunky as Ace of Spades Steam. I probably won't like it, but the art style is nice and the map editor looks pretty convenient, so that has that going for it.
CalenLoki
Deuce

Watched some gamepay vids (trailers never show anything). It feels a lot more like AoS classic than steam. It seems to lack good game modes and used maps doesn't reward building/destruction mechanics. But lack of decent gamemodes applied to our favourite game too, until someone createt babel and ToW.
Building is also pretty limited - just one colour of blocks.
Destruction is on par with AoS:classic, so a bit too fast/strong IMO
Only goofy accent is freedom of skins creation, which I hope can be turned off server side.
Hope they'll add more mechanics to enhance cover-based combat and building.
We're still waiting for word from someone who actually played it. Unfortunatelly I can't test it now - it won't run on a phone...
CalenLoki
Deuce

You're aware that your childish fanboyism do more harm than good to your favourite game? Anyone new can be easily driven off the forum, seeing inability of community members to follow basic forum and conversation rules, such as staying on topic. Luckily I know few people mature enough to keep me around. But they are like rare diamonds in the lake of natural feritalizers....

If you really need to bring Iceball here, do some reaserch and prepare list of advantages/disadvantages of both games.

Back on topic: I've dug into their forum, and discovered few things. First is communication between devs and community, which is really alive. Second is low player cap per server - major flaw, as 16 players is way too few for decent battle. And its somehow related to hard-to-fix engine limitations.
Dany0
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Nobody is selling iceball here. The pretext is B********m is so irrelevant and bad we're ignoring it altogether.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

CalenLoki wrote:
You're aware that your childish fanboyism do more harm than good to your favourite game? Anyone new can be easily driven off the forum, seeing inability of community members to follow basic forum and conversation rules, such as staying on topic. Luckily I know few people mature enough to keep me around. But they are like rare diamonds in the lake of natural feritalizers....

If you really need to bring Iceball here, do some reaserch and prepare list of advantages/disadvantages of both games.

Back on topic: I've dug into their forum, and discovered few things. First is communication between devs and community, which is really alive. Second is low player cap per server - major flaw, as 16 players is way too few for decent battle. And its somehow related to hard-to-fix engine limitations.
Oh, nice. Dany0 is a longstanding member of the community (You seem to have been dead for a long time?), and what eh was trying to say, without s-p-e-l-l-i-n-g it out is that IB is a game that is working towards (maybe) something similar, so check it out.

Back on topic: Wow. 16 players, that annoying, I bet.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

Captain_Pi wrote:
Already looking at the trailer I can tell the gameplay is as clunky as Ace of Spades Steam. I probably won't like it, but the art style is nice and the map editor looks pretty convenient, so that has that going for it.
we are spoiled by a good game.
CalenLoki
Deuce

@Warp. Yeah, I know. But rules are the same for everyone. How would you treat some newcomer posting i.e. "check Starforge, it's way better" in every IB thread? You'd consider it spam, warn then ban the noob. I'm aware of IB and dozen other similar attempts to recreate old AoS glory. None has reached it yet, and works at neither should limit fair competition.

Back on topic: plus side of BS are quite regular, large, monthly updates. Hope they won't burn out in the future.
CalenLoki
Deuce

Afaik no. You either play demo or pay for full version. But its's quite expensive for game at this stage of development. I don't know exact limitations of demo. For sure only few servers are open for them.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

CalenLoki wrote:
Anyone new can be easily driven off the forum, seeing inability of community members to follow basic forum and conversation rules, such as staying on topic.
Yes, sorry for not noticing this thread earlier.
CalenLoki wrote:
How would you treat some newcomer posting i.e. "check Starforge, it's way better" in every IB thread?
Some off topic posts have been removed from this thread just as off topic posts in Iceball threads would be removed.

Let's keep this thread about Blockstorm from this point forward.
Redcorpian
Deuce

Last edited by Redcorpian on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vyvyn
Deuce

It's nice to see one of my skins, Albeit an older one, Making it in here.

Overall BS isn't that bad a game and don't let the apparent lack of building scare you, To a trained player, The standard block is both defensive and offensive in nature.

Maps, Skins and guns are constantly being made for the game though of course this means there's.. Less than kid-friendly ones on there at times so be warned. (Though we've got some ideas for better filtering of the content both server and clientside soon)

for the most part matches are fun, Though it will sometimes depend on the maps being played on. some maps are solid for some gamemodes, Others might have the odd unforeseen exploit but I keep coming back to this one, so they must be doing something right!

Best thing of all, From my viewpoint anyways, Is the open, Transparent and constant communication with the developers, And the community (for the most part.. Like 99.9%) seems to be helpful, Fun and willing to avoid the odd ragequit or abusive behavior. We do get our trolls, Player killers and griefers, But they're usually dealt with pretty quickly and repeat offenders end up on a blacklist.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

Vyvyn wrote:
It's nice to see one of my skins, Albeit an older one, Making it in here.

Overall BS isn't that bad a game and don't let the apparent lack of building scare you, To a trained player, The standard block is both defensive and offensive in nature.

Maps, Skins and guns are constantly being made for the game though of course this means there's.. Less than kid-friendly ones on there at times so be warned. (Though we've got some ideas for better filtering of the content both server and clientside soon)

for the most part matches are fun, Though it will sometimes depend on the maps being played on. some maps are solid for some gamemodes, Others might have the odd unforeseen exploit but I keep coming back to this one, so they must be doing something right!

Best thing of all, From my viewpoint anyways, Is the open, Transparent and constant communication with the developers, And the community (for the most part.. Like 99.9%) seems to be helpful, Fun and willing to avoid the odd ragequit or abusive behavior. We do get our trolls, Player killers and griefers, But they're usually dealt with pretty quickly and repeat offenders end up on a blacklist.
my god...
this is starting to sound like old AoS.
y'know, when the votekick system still worked?
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

I just purchased it. Let's see how it plays compared to AoS.
davidebarbieri
Deuce

Hi,

I'm the creator of Blockstorm; just wanted to say that now Blockstorm is free to play for 2 weeks,
in case you want to try it for free.
I wouldn't be disrespectful to your rules, especially the "Do not use a forum to promote your product, service or business.",
but I saw that there was already a thread on Blockstorm and just wanted to say this,
in case someone was interested. Green_D'oh
17 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”