Introducing topenspadongs - A forked OpenSpades client!

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
82 posts Page 1 of 6 First unread post
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Disclaimer: I in no way take any credit for anything posted here. All credit and praise should be directed towards topo, yvt & others who have worked on the OpenSpades project.
topo wrote:
I got sick of not being able to enjoy using openspades so I decided to do my own thing with it
forked from 0.0.0.10

enjoy
Release 10 is out, full changelog, source and download link can be accessed here: http://quacknet.org:8000/tspd/

Give it a go, in my opinion the extended customisability as far as settings are concerned alone makes it totally worth it. Blue_Happy1 Green_Happy1 (I'll edit this thread's changelog if/when topo makes any changes to topenspadongs)
Last edited by Willy on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Commando_Ghost
Modder
Modder

#swag
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

Best. Name. Ever.
Demo123
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

It's amazing.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

does it come preloaded with you-know-whose-mom?
Willy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Zekamalikyd wrote:
does it come preloaded with you-know-whose-mom?
topo's mom is sent via seamail upon download

this is the boat they carry her on
Madnessboy
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Not bad, not bad.
I really like hitsound (good ol' Quake 3 ftw! Green_BigSmile ) and new grenade smoke options.
However, i think that customizable zoom fov is actually a cheat. It may be used in a unfair way (such as long distance sniping) and should be locked on default zoom fov value.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Madnessboy wrote:
However, i think that customizable zoom fov is actually a cheat. It may be used in a unfair way (such as long distance sniping) and should be locked on default zoom fov value.
I was initially worried about the reaction to cg_zoomfov, but decided to stick it in and see what happened anyway. I think that when you can already set your fov to whatever you like, the option of choosing how you zoom makes sense and doesn't really hurt. If you try whoring fogshots (which doesn't work particularly well with OS' rifle spread anyway) you're probably severely restricting your FOV, so people will be able to sneak up on you much more easily.
Voxlap is better for fogranging anyway - OS fog is very... "thick" I guess. Easier to see targets + easier to hit shots vs. easier to aim... former is still a definite winner imo.
I'm considering making a fork of pyspades specifically for this client and locking it to servers running that fork, which would give me much more freedom to make changes. Not decided yet though
Voxinator
Deuce

So you gave everyone sniper scopes... I don't even

And fragmenting the community over minor retrogade changes? Probably doing more harm than good.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Voxinator wrote:
So you gave everyone sniper scopes... I don't even
???
And fragmenting the community over minor retrogade changes? Probably doing more harm than good.
what's fragmenting the community? this client is fully compatible with both of the other options and they can be used interchangeably. it's purely down to which you prefer. if you meant the server thing then allow me to clarify: all clients would be able to join these servers, but this client would only be able to join them. i'm not sure that'd work out, though, which is why i haven't done it already. i may put up a server clearly marked as one for this client but with no particular restrictions on who can join, on which i'd test potentially game-balancing changes blah blah blah

basically i have no intention of trying to force anything. you can use this or you can use something else; i don't mind. i'm making this more because it's what i want than because i think anyone else particularly wants it.
Arkger
League Participant
League Participant

topo wrote:
Madnessboy wrote:
I was initially worried about the reaction to cg_zoomfov, but decided to stick it in and see what happened anyway. I think that when you can already set your fov to whatever you like, the option of choosing how you zoom makes sense and doesn't really hurt. If you try whoring fogshots (which doesn't work particularly well with OS' rifle spread anyway) you're probably severely restricting your FOV, so people will be able to sneak up on you much more easily.
Voxlap is better for fogranging anyway - OS fog is very... "thick" I guess. Easier to see targets + easier to hit shots vs. easier to aim... former is still a definite winner imo.
I'm considering making a fork of pyspades specifically for this client and locking it to servers running that fork, which would give me much more freedom to make changes. Not decided yet though
We are begging for the pyspades fork 'round these parts. I've been working on making new items as well, and if you could make this fork, I would love to use it for my potential server for when I finish this build i have going.
Ballistic
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Commando_Ghost wrote:
#swag
bullets wrote:
Best. Name. Ever.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

I love how you added the image sights back and the grenade fix was a nice touch, keep up the good work
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

now has a pretty page and stuff http://quacknet.org:8000/tspd/
wheelz
Deuce

Isn't it necessary to release the source of this, regarding the license of the project this is forked off?
Besides that, i think this is completely needless and some of the "features" seem more like a cheat ("Your screen no longer bobs while sprinting." "Grenade explosions don't shake your screen anymore."). Why not contribute to the original Open Spades instead?

I guess this had to happen sooner or later and now i really can't wait for all the clans to fork their own super pro shit versions of Open Spades.
82 posts Page 1 of 6 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”