OpenSpades Balance Tweaks Master list

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

Building, breaking:

In voxlap, a player can look straight down hold lmb and repeatedly press jump to create a pillar. In OpenSpades, a player has to look down jump and then press lmb and it may or may not place a block under him. If a block is placed under the player, he needs to release the lmb and try again for the next block in the pillar.

Also related to the issue above, in voxlap you can hold lmb, place a block, continue to hold lmb, look at the surface of another block and place another block after the animation for placing the first block finished. In OpenSpades, this works sometimes and other times it doesn't.

It seems the algorithm that prevents you from blocking yourself is causing the need to press lmb again.

Sounds:

Guns:
TheGrandmaster
Former Pre-BnS Team
Former Pre-BnS Team

So, here's my list of things that I think should be altered in OpenSpades. I find OpenSpades very impressive overall, but there's a small list of changes that would increase the 'feel'/character of it and also fix the core shooting/aiming/tracking mechanics.

1. Sounds.
On OpenSpades, both with EAX on and off, I have troubles locating people via sound. In voxlap, I can track player movements within fog range through listening for footsteps, but in OpenSpades the volume of footprints seems too low to be able to do the same. I would personally like to be able to play with EAX on for the nice ambient sound, but it overall needs more precision. Sound is a major part of my game on voxlap, so it means quite a bit.

2. Field of view.
As shown in this comparison: http://i.imgur.com/0I2vbNV.png
The field of view in OpenSpades is much less than that of voxlap. I realise which FOV to use can be quite a personal opinion, but I for one prefer wider FOVs, both for realism and for visibility's sake.

3. Model feel.
Models need to be 'grittier', everything looks too smooth and single coloured. In voxlap, the models are rendered differently and it gives all the models much greater character. Changing the rendering is out of the question, but perhaps how it reacts to light and the texture of the models would help in this regard. I am not sure that increasing the resolution to the models would help as I feel that the current resolution 'fits' the Ace of Spades feel - making it too detailed would make it look out of place in my opinion.

4. Weapon size/location.
As shown in #2's screenshot, the models for the weapons are very large, and even moreso when in the ironsight. When an ironsight takes up 50% of the screen it's too much, massively decreasing visibility. Much harder to find your target and readjust after shooting, which is a bit annoying.

5. Walking.
The animation for walking/movement needs some work, as players appear to glide around the map. This combined with #3 lessens the feeling when playing.

6. Hit detection.
I feel weird for saying this since OpenSpades is just a client, but it does seem that a lot more of on-target shots don't get counted. I have drilled many rounds into people with little or no effect, and I know that pyspades/pysnip is not THAT bad, especially when it comes to 0.76. I suspect it's lag compensation going wacky or just general model displacement from where they actually are.
IAmYourFriend
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Github's Issue Tracker is also being used for reporting and discussing tweaks: https://github.com/yvt/openspades/issues?state=open
danhezee wrote:
In voxlap, a player can look straight down hold lmb and repeatedly press jump to create a pillar.
This has already been reported and fixed 2 days ago: https://github.com/yvt/openspades/issues/53
Twily
Deuced Up

TheGrandmaster wrote:
So, here's my list of things that I think should be altered in OpenSpades. I find OpenSpades very impressive overall, but there's a small list of changes that would increase the 'feel'/character of it and also fix the core shooting/aiming/tracking mechanics.

1. Sounds.
On OpenSpades, both with EAX on and off, I have troubles locating people via sound. In voxlap, I can track player movements within fog range through listening for footsteps, but in OpenSpades the volume of footprints seems too low to be able to do the same. I would personally like to be able to play with EAX on for the nice ambient sound, but it overall needs more precision. Sound is a major part of my game on voxlap, so it means quite a bit.

2. Field of view.
The field of view in OpenSpades is much less than that of voxlap. I realise which FOV to use can be quite a personal opinion, but I for one prefer wider FOVs, both for realism and for visibility's sake.

3. Model feel.
Models need to be 'grittier', everything looks too smooth and single coloured. In voxlap, the models are rendered differently and it gives all the models much greater character. Changing the rendering is out of the question, but perhaps how it reacts to light and the texture of the models would help in this regard. I am not sure that increasing the resolution to the models would help as I feel that the current resolution 'fits' the Ace of Spades feel - making it too detailed would make it look out of place in my opinion.

4. Weapon size/location.
As shown in #2's screenshot, the models for the weapons are very large, and even moreso when in the ironsight. When an ironsight takes up 50% of the screen it's too much, massively decreasing visibility. Much harder to find your target and readjust after shooting, which is a bit annoying.

5. Walking.
The animation for walking/movement needs some work, as players appear to glide around the map. This combined with #3 lessens the feeling when playing.

6. Hit detection.
I feel weird for saying this since OpenSpades is just a client, but it does seem that a lot more of on-target shots don't get counted. I have drilled many rounds into people with little or no effect, and I know that pyspades/pysnip is not THAT bad, especially when it comes to 0.76. I suspect it's lag compensation going wacky or just general model displacement from where they actually are.
I might be not official, but I might have answers for you.
1 - To suiting the stuffs that yvt planning, he (decided to) remake/overhaul the whole sounds. Which explains why it sounds strange and a lot smoother than the sound that we normally.
The sounds in OS is quite a complex, including gunshot coming from near, far, the player or non player. Which is a great mess. However, it is revertible via modding.

2 - The current FOV is 68. Will be adjustable in the next public release. Or you can compile yourself to try the cg_fov which has been committed.

3 - Not sure if I want to say something in here, since both 1.0 and OS has the same feel, I can't tell if this is a handiwork of default OpenGL.

4 - cg_fov may help.

5 - yvt has been updating a lot of animations, which seems to be very promising.

6 - This is a OS specific problem. Personally looking at the source code, I can't tell where it bugs, however, as I am trying to shoot the position that would be the neck, most of the hit registered as headshots.

That's all.
mcape6
Deuce

Twily wrote:
TheGrandmaster wrote:

1. Sounds.

2. Field of view.

3. Model feel.

4. Weapon size/location.

5. Walking.

6. Hit detection.
I might be not official, but I might have answers for you.
1 - To suiting the stuffs that yvt planning, he (decided to) remake/overhaul the whole sounds. Which explains why it sounds strange and a lot smoother than the sound that we normally.
The sounds in OS is quite a complex, including gunshot coming from near, far, the player or non player. Which is a great mess. However, it is revertible via modding.

2 - The current FOV is 68. Will be adjustable in the next public release. Or you can compile yourself to try the cg_fov which has been committed.

3 - Not sure if I want to say something in here, since both 1.0 and OS has the same feel, I can't tell if this is a handiwork of default OpenGL.

4 - cg_fov may help.

5 - yvt has been updating a lot of animations, which seems to be very promising.

6 - This is a OS specific problem. Personally looking at the source code, I can't tell where it bugs, however, as I am trying to shoot the position that would be the neck, most of the hit registered as headshots.

That's all.
I completely agree with the walking movements. Its way to shuffley and looks very unnatural. The possibility of adding reload animations for other characters from another persons perspective would be nice.

Basically just clean up some of the smaller game details that were in 0.75 / 0.76 .
Epicnice TSB
Post Demon
Post Demon

I totally agree with the shooting. It blocks most of the view when we are scoping. Also it's quite hard to kill someone in Openspades.
T3ER
Deuced Up

I am too having trouble to hit enemies idk is it really so or is it just that sight which is ring, i will try with dott sight.
Twily
Deuced Up

Epicnice TSB wrote:
I totally agree with the shooting. It blocks most of the view when we are scoping. Also it's quite hard to kill someone in Openspades.
Just to let you know, a new commit has been pushed, including a different way to look the sights. Hope this fixes.
DetectDefective
Deuced Up

Loving OpenSpades, but I've run into a few issues, hit detection being one of them, but not just against players.

At one point, I had made it to the enemy base, and I felt like ripping and tearing some of their defenses down. I had an SMG, so I started spraying specific blocks. These weren't unbreakable blocks, and I had poured a mag's worth of ammo at a 3x3 area with no holes whatsoever. Walked up to a block, shot it ten times, nothing happened.

Started working again a moment later, but it kept happening off and on. No idea if it's AoS, or OS, or something on my side.
A. Soldier
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I'd say that I like OpenSpades' sights better than 1.0 or 0.75's ones, much more realistic, you feel that your gun is real, plus you don't have to do a PNG picture just for the Iron Sights.
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

TheGrandmaster wrote:

1. Sounds.

2. Field of view.

3. Model feel.

4. Weapon size/location.

5. Walking.

6. Hit detection.
I agree with #3, the models are great but they look too smooth, I wish they would be gritty, like if some noise was added to it or if the shading for the models was different, because without grittiness it just has no personality :(
I'm also very happy with the scopes, I'm crap at .png sights which makes me happy :)
A. Soldier
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

bullets wrote:
I'm also very happy with the scopes, I'm crap at .png sights which makes me happy :)
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”