OpenSpades introduction

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
665 posts Page 12 of 45 First unread post
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Rydogger wrote:
So Ive played this version for a little while. Its great, but there are some problems (understandable because its in 0.0.7 beta):

-Some of the keys arent the same (Used to be , and . to change weapon/team, but now its just L)
-Even if my ping is low, the lag is sometimes really bad (not sure if thats my hardware or the game itself)
-The aim crosshair seems a bit off. If I aim at someones head and shoot, it wont register as a kill. (Not sure if this is because the .75 shit aim or not)

A couple of things I would like to see added:
-Keep the menu open after I exit the game. I dont want to have to open the menu every time I want to switch servers

Other than these, the game is fantastic. It runs really well on my 1.3 GHz laptop
1. You can change the keybinds in "Advanced Settings"
2. Probably hardware
3. I think its just bad hit detection

4. Yes, I'd like to see that too. And maybe even a server browser in the future.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

I like that you can view the full map but I think that the minimap should be fixed. Maybe have the minimap disappear when viewing the larger map to fix the space issue.
extra wrote:
Would there be any way to create an "OpenSpades" only server?
Its possible it will just a take some time
AEM
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

extra wrote:
Would there be any way to create an "OpenSpades" only server?
I would like that.
zovc
Deuced Up

1. flash light is blindingly bad 2.blur is weird and I want non, what number would that be? 3. I see no dam chat!

wtf can I do?!
Last edited by zovc on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yoman282
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

When I shoot out of the rifle from the distance, sometimes it just won't register the hit, I'm pretty sure I've hit the guy but nothing happens. Kind of annoying.
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Winety wrote:
So, does this work when I open it in wine?
You can compile it native.
Yoman282
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Is anyone else making mods for this OpenSpades other than Commando_Ghost?

Is there any way I can convert mods from AoS to OpenSpades?
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Quick note.

Sources/Gui/Main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
Sources/Gui/Main.cpp:56:2: error: ‘pkg’ was not declared in this scope

^ commenting that line out fixes that compilation issue.
ZEB 99 wrote:
if my pc runs iceball would this work? arent they both opengl?
If it runs it well, then OpenSpades should work just fine, although the actual requirements for Iceball are lower (OpenGL 1.1 vs OpenGL 2.0)
danhezee wrote:
So would it be possible to plug in mesa 3d to have a software renderer option. Two similar versions opengl and mesa 3d. one for crappy computers and one for people that can run opengl.
Mesa3d is an OpenGL implementation. There's no need on the OpenSpades side to interface it directly.
Th3MaN1 wrote:
While I know it's hard, support for Intel Gfx would have been quite awesome. I can't run in (guess why) but I will track this mod to see how good it gets to be.
I have an Intel HD 3000. It runs fantastically. yvt has an Intel HD 4000.
Dany0 wrote:
Having said that, someone should port OpenSpades' model optimization to IB.
No, because KV6 isn't the same thing as PMF. (Besides, OpenSpades doesn't even bother to check the visible faces byte, let alone the lighting direction byte... and the first one would be a good thing to check ;D)
10se1ucgo wrote:
Awesome, I just discovered something (Not sure if its in 0.0.7, but I hope it is :D)
You can actually build your character OUT of the required size for the vanilla client! That means more detail can be added now, like hats and bags. I do hope that its just a visual thing, and not any gameplay breaking cheat.
Judging by that picture it appears to actually use hitboxes rather than raycasting through the models so it shouldn't be gamebreaking... but it would be good to do some occlusion culling of the models just in case some git decides to do another laser sight.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

ultrayoshi49 wrote:
This defiantly has to be one of the better things I've seen for awhile, it's made me start playing AoS again, as I've started to loose interest.
welcome back! :)
CommieBuffalo
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

Yoman282 wrote:
When I shoot out of the rifle from the distance, sometimes it just won't register the hit, I'm pretty sure I've hit the guy but nothing happens. Kind of annoying.
That is something with .75, not with OpenSpades, I believe.
learn_more
Coder
Coder

https://github.com/learn-more/openspades

works in MSVC 2010
need to fix some paths / add external dependencies, but if you don't know how to do that you shouldnt be building it anyway.
Yourself
Coder
Coder

Here are two screenshots comparing the engine that I've been working on for my game (Blockspell) with Open Spades 0.6. As you can see, the colors in open spades are quite dull. I think it's a lot harder to differentiate terrain from players with the dull colors.
extra
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

Yourself wrote:

Here are two screenshots comparing the engine that I've been working on for my game (Blockspell) with Open Spades 0.6. As you can see, the colors in open spades are quite dull. I think it's a lot harder to differentiate terrain from players with the dull colors.
Wow your version does look better actually. So you are also working on an engine. Blue_Happy3
Yourself
Coder
Coder

extra wrote:
Yourself wrote:
<snip>

Wow your version does look better actually. So you are also working on an engine. Blue_Happy3
I am not making an Ace of Spades clone. I think after the colors are fixed and some other changes to lighting happen in Open Spades it will look and play a lot better. One thing I recommend is using fake directional lighting. Using a traditional directional light results in three faces looking like this from one angle:

And results in this from the other side. Notice that it is impossible to tell the faces of the cubes apart.

This is why I suggest manually controlling the directional lighting so that this doesn't occur. Blue_Happy1
AEM
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Yourself wrote:
extra wrote:
Yourself wrote:
<snip>

I am not making an Ace of Spades clone. I think after the colors are fixed and some other changes to lighting happen in Open Spades it will look and play a lot better. One thing I recommend is using fake directional lighting. Using a traditional directional light results in three faces looking like this from one angle:

And results in this from the other side. Notice that it is impossible to tell the faces of the cubes apart.

This is why I suggest manually controlling the directional lighting so that this doesn't occur. Blue_Happy1
I remember you talking about the engine but I forgot the purpose. I actually never noticed that on pinpoint but I think that's a good point.
665 posts Page 12 of 45 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”