OpenSpades introduction

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
665 posts Page 1 of 45 First unread post
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

OpenSpades is a clone of Voxlap Ace of Spades 0.75, which is a free multiplayer game created by Ben Aksoy.
  • ability to connect to vanilla/pyspades server
  • better performance on some modern computers/netbooks
  • sophisticated graphics
  • fully open source (GPLv3 compliant)
  • cross-platform
Image Image Image Image
TheGrandmaster wrote:
My introduction video for Openspades, running through the launcher and the features of the new client. More videos to come!
Official website: https://sites.google.com/a/yvt.jp/openspades
Download: https://sites.google.com/a/yvt.jp/openspades/downloads
Source: https://github.com/yvt/openspades

Reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/AceOfSpades/com ... le_client/
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

How did you find this? Also is it compatible with 0.76?
StarDust
League Participant
League Participant

lol it looks cool
Froelich131
Deuce

Originally posted on Reddit, it's really a different experience.

Physics are a lot different. Sorry Colorpinoint - Grenades don't go super far anymore.
Sounds are (in my opinion) better, at least the SMG.
There aren't any tracers (yet?)
Aim is different, hard to really explain, just different.

It reminds me a bit of Jagex AoS, but...for being in .05 of development much better. I'm excited to see where this progresses onto.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

how to:
Yourself
Coder
Coder

This looks pretty good! There are still some things that need to be added such as tracers (and fix the nades). Otherwise it's pretty solid Green_BigSmile
Rizki
Deuce

Error occured:
Spoiler:
[.../Sources/Gui/SDLRunner.cpp:216]Failed to initialize video device: unable to create GL context Collected Backtrace:
virtual void spades::gui::SDLRunner::Run() at SDLRunner.cpp:192
void MainWindow::StartGame(const std::string&) at MainWindowHandler.cpp:52
void MainWindow::QuickConnectPressed() at MainWindowHandler.cpp:79
int main(int, char**) at Main.cpp:47
._. Blue_Normal How i can fix it?
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Froelich131 wrote:
Physics are a lot different. Sorry Colorpinoint - Grenades don't go super far anymore.
You pretty much need a perfect emulation of the physics due to the nature of the protocol, unless of course you're happy with your input lagging behind a bit and letting the server calculate your physics for you. As the code is GPLv3, you can just pinch the code from Pyspades.

ALSO FUCK __MACOSX DIRECTORIES AND FUCK YOU APPLE FOR RUINING THE ZIP FORMAT BY SHITTING ALL OVER IT WITH THOSE STUPID THINGS

Anyhow, I'm going to see how well this runs.

EDIT: OK, it runs fairly well... when turned up to 11 (but no AA as this GPU doesn't support it) it's not amazing in terms of framerate, but when turned down to 1 it runs at a sold 60fps (I think) on an Intel HD 3000.

Let's take a look!
  • Turning Lighting up to High is the biggest bottleneck. Medium and Low give similar performance levels, so just set this to Medium unless you have a really good GPU or can handle ~10fps.
  • The second-biggest FPS hit is the Shader Effects option. Setting this to Low and lighting to Medium gives you good performance (Shaders = Low, Lighting = High is also OK for performance and looks nice), and you can just turn everything else on...
  • ...except Global Illumination. It doesn't actually work. All it does is gets rid of the ambient component so everything that's shadowed is black. Iceball's ambient occlusion (courtesy of melchips, method courtesy of lots of people) does a MUCH better job. Turn it off.
I'd like to point out a bit about global illumination. While I'm not much of an expert on the subject, I do know what the hell I'm talking about.

For a cheap GI approximation, Ambient Occlusion is the best... whatever the hell it actually IS. What it ISN'T is Radiosity.
And no, I mean regular pre-baked AO, not SSAO. That shit really chugs this GPU.

(EDIT: Apparently this does do at least *some* AO stuff, although it would be nice to do a form of AO for the shadows.)

Unlike AO, I actually know what Radiosity is, and 3 methods of calculating it. It's a GI method for calculating diffuse lighting, and was used in the original Quake.

Firstly there's the perfect calculation, where you get an n x n matrix and calculate the inverse. The problem with that method is that n is usually something like 10,000, and so you end up with a really, really big matrix that chews up gigs of RAM. Plus it's the slowest method.

Secondly, there's incremental radiosity, where you calculate several iterations until the difference between iterations is virtually nil. It's where you look at each point and calculate how much light is coming from all the other points.

Finally, there's Instant Radiosity, where you spam Virtual Point Lights (VPLs), say, 64, from a given source light and other VPLs, and then you can calculate diffuse stuff from that. This would be the best choice, but a good heuristic will be necessary.

Rizki: Set AA to Off.
Qw3rtz
Deuced Up

Holy shit, i love you, any hope in a Linux version? Hence it's cross platform.
Commando_Ghost
Modder
Modder

Is this game mod supported? If not, will it?
yvt
Coder
Coder

Hi.
Qw3rtz wrote:
Holy shit, i love you, any hope in a Linux version? Hence it's cross platform.
Currently binary package is not provided and you have to compile from source code.
Clone from git repository https://github.com/yvt/openspades/ and follow the instructions
written in README.md.
Commando_Ghost wrote:
Is this game mod supported? If not, will it?
OpenSpades uses the exactly same format with AoS 0.75 for models/sounds.
However, the directory structure is different, so you'll have to rename files of game mod.
Try unzipping Resources/Models.pak and you'll see the structure.
Rizki wrote:
Error occured:
Spoiler:
[.../Sources/Gui/SDLRunner.cpp:216]Failed to initialize video device: unable to create GL context Collected Backtrace:
virtual void spades::gui::SDLRunner::Run() at SDLRunner.cpp:192
void MainWindow::StartGame(const std::string&) at MainWindowHandler.cpp:52
void MainWindow::QuickConnectPressed() at MainWindowHandler.cpp:79
int main(int, char**) at Main.cpp:47
._. Blue_Normal How i can fix it?
Your video card driver is likely to be too old, or missing. Try updating one.
Rizki
Deuce

Your video card driver is likely to be too old, or missing. Try updating one.
Wtf bro?
VGA : AMD RADEON HD8000 , and i must update again??? [[xatmaniac]]
MrFritz
League Operator
League Operator

I started to play the game and when I looked at the GUI. I saw no team names. No player names, No weapon names. Didnt see chat. Could someone help?
TheChief98
League Participant
League Participant

"OpenSpades uses the exactly same format with AoS 0.75 for models/sounds.
However, the directory structure is different, so you'll have to rename files of game mod.
Try unzipping Resources/Models.pak and you'll see the structure."
unpack them is easy, but how can i repack them in a .pak?

EDIT: Nvm i found it, i just put winrar as standard program for .pak files.
TheChief98
League Participant
League Participant

Sorry for double posting but it actually works perfectly!
Here i made in 10 seconds a rifle with a small scope:
http://i.imgur.com/MQUlm4Q.png
it works also as sight because it uses the .kv6 instead of the classic .png.
665 posts Page 1 of 45 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”