HaSnip

External additional handy features.
20 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Intro
So, I am going to rewrite AoS in Haskell. It is going to be network compatible with as many 0.* versions as I can make it (starting with 0.75). AT THE MOMENT THERE IS NOTHING TO PLAY, NUBS.

Some of your also I have another project to port and maintain Voxlap. This may or may not use Voxlap, this may or may not use Iceball's engine (if grease et al. is ok with that), this may use this one guy's thing in pure haskell, I don't know yet. I will do whatever is easier/better. Also, My plan is to make this game ass-backwards:
  1. Networking
  2. Gameplay
  3. 2D overview (think the current map).
  4. Actual 3D Graphics.
Also I may "fix" the rifle giving users of my client an unfar advantage. Mua, ha, ha...

Links
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Challenge number 1 (because I am going to be sorta busy until mid august maybe?):

So, to make a network-compatible client we'll need to be friends with PySnip. I made a little dumb client in haskell and tried to connect ....and it didn't connect. Did the same thing in C with same result. Wireshark though shows the server respounding, so maybe pysnip is trying to share the love back and we aren't re-reciprocating.

I'll link both versions. If you can figure out what's needed to fool pyspades for even a second, you get a cookie*.
The Haskell file can be interpreted separately from whatever else is in the HaSnip Repo. Just load it up in GHCI (the interpreter), and call init with an address like this:
Code: Select all
-- some aos://<IP>:<port>
-- yes, you can actually pull out the big IP number from the URL and just put it in directly

ghci> init $ SockAddrInet <port> <IP>
Mr.CS
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

Good luck to you.
mylesd98
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

[Deleted]
Last edited by mylesd98 on Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Good luck, Sonar!
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

mylesd98 wrote:
why dont you start it at 0.76? honestly that would make more sense.
bit like how 0.76 should be set to the recommended version on this site >.<
Yes, 0.76 absolutely is better, but 0.75 has more players, which is critical to getting this off the ground. Remember as this a new client, a lot of the problems with 0.75 don't apply. It's actually a fairly arbitrary decision which protocol version will I support first.
mylesd98
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

[Deleted]
Last edited by mylesd98 on Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

interesting
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Thanks!
Kuma
Scripter
Scripter

Hmmm, I am a nub I don't understand this. But anyways good luck!
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Thanks!
Xtra

Well, good luck with this.
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Sonarpulse wrote:
Challenge number 1 (because I am going to be sorta busy until mid august maybe?):

So, to make a network-compatible client we'll need to be friends with PySnip. I made a little dumb client in haskell and tried to connect ....and it didn't connect. Did the same thing in C with same result. Wireshark though shows the server respounding, so maybe pysnip is trying to share the love back and we aren't re-reciprocating.

I'll link both versions. If you can figure out what's needed to fool pyspades for even a second, you get a cookie*.
The Haskell file can be interpreted separately from whatever else is in the HaSnip Repo. Just load it up in GHCI (the interpreter), and call init with an address like this:
Code: Select all
-- some aos://<IP>:<port>
-- yes, you can actually pull out the big IP number from the URL and just put it in directly

ghci> init $ SockAddrInet <port> <IP>
You need to call enet_host_compress_with_range_coder(ENetHost *host) after creating your client "host". The rest looks fine to me, although for Iceball I wait 5 seconds, instead of 3/4.
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Awesome, Thanks so much, Grease! I'll try it: if it works I'll finally be able to actually get somewhere with this.

Edit: Works!!! Thanks again!
ByteBit
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

GreaseMonkey wrote:
You need to call enet_host_compress_with_range_coder(ENetHost *host) after creating your client "host". The rest looks fine to me, although for Iceball I wait 5 seconds, instead of 3/4.
Thank you very much! Maybe that is the problem why my attemps to connect to E-net servers always fail.
Green_Sunglasses1
Anyway, I think it's not very effective if everybody is making his/her own client.
20 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Add-ons & Tools”