The "New Ace Of Spades"

If it ain't Spades...
115 posts Page 6 of 8 First unread post
Trio
Deuced Up

Trio, in a 3D FPS. You use 3D models for the weapons. YOU DON'T USE FRICKING PIXEL ART GUNS! Why? It looks like crap and guess what, it's super hard to mod. That's right it's much easier to mod a 3D model than a pixel art image. Trust me on this one.

But what is easier? To make Texture+Model or to make 5 images named wpn-2,wpn-1,wpn0,wpn1,wpn2 ?(But to animate it,it is hard because where are no tool to do this.

Also polygonal terrain will run better on old computers
Mesh will work faster i think,but multitexturing will make FPS lower+I am scared problems with GL 1.1 Extensions .
+This is hard to make collisions and physics for polygons and make dive algorithm. Plus I can not image how build and dive systems will look(how player will see that he is going to breake current area. I think,I will make cubes first,and I will make polygon system later.

UNITiS
Do not be so skeptical. Work is in progress,but it will stop for some time because I have exams soon.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

It's definitely easier to make a texture + model.
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

OK, well seeing that you actually know something, please help with Iceball or Voxlap instead. We have limited resources and so things like this are a waste of effort. If you make it compatible with 0.75 servers, people will come. If you don't support 0.75 servers you are toast.
Trio
Deuced Up

Of course my game wont be compatible with AOS servers because my game is much different. But I can make converter from aos maps to my game maps.

IceBall
I hate reading any code,not my own. I do not copy AOS,I have just cubes from AOS :) ,but they will be textured,so It will be similar to minecraft. I copy more CS2D then AOS for gameplay,my gameplay should be modable and fully editable. You will understand me if you have played CS2D with construction gamemode.

I am using squirrel script. It is similar to C++,I like. I hate all other programing languages.
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

People here want a multiplayer game like AoS. It's very hard to build up a multiplayer community from scratch, as good as AoS dead I think a good bit of its success was just dumb luck.

Also squirrel script is dynamically typed ...I lost interest.
UNITiS
Deuced Up

I'm sorry, I had enough. At first I was trying to be friendly to you but at this point all I have to say is: Stop fucking talking about what you will attempt to do and fucking DO IT! Stop posting your plans and ideas until you actually have somewhere to implement them. Game development is generally a long and tricky progress, so don't expect to do everything overnight. Learn to code in a language which is generally used, maybe make a couple little games and then come back and start working on this. You obviously don't have the experience needed to work on something as big and complex as this. Voxel terrain algorithms are generally quite tricky to write considering that a lot of functions have to be called thousands of times a second. Get some experience and then we will trust you and maybe even help you out, at this point the project is going nowhere.
Trio
Deuced Up

Also squirrel script is dynamically typed
It is good idea.So it is more easier to write then use Angel script. Seriously C++ is too hard for beginners, and I think script beginners should not learn difficult C's types. For example I have begun with LUA,where you do not need think about all aspects of language,you just write you want.

UNITiS You do not know my experience and skill. Your Unity language IS NOT PROGRAMMING. Seriously, real hard programming is at www.codeforces.com, you will be full noob for this,yes this is no practical programming,but it need work full brain and it helps to make real difficult projects. But I am beginner here(2-3 moths and 4-5 contests),so I have no good skill here,but I am making progress.
This is no hard to make the game. I is much hard to make engine.

I need Ideas now,to know what to do. And I ask it.
UNITiS
Deuced Up

Trio wrote:
Also squirrel script is dynamically typed
It is good idea.So it is more easier to write then use Angel script. Seriously C++ is too hard for beginners, and I think script beginners should not learn difficult C's types. For example I have begun with LUA,where you do not need think about all aspects of language,you just write you want.

UNITiS You do not know my experience and skill. Your Unity language IS NOT PROGRAMMING. Seriously, real hard programming is at http://www.codeforces.com, you will be full noob for this,yes this is no practical programming,but it need work full brain and it helps to make real difficult projects. But I am beginner here(2-3 moths and 4-5 contests),so I have no good skill here,but I am making progress.
This is no hard to make the game. I is much hard to make engine.

I need Ideas now,to know what to do. And I ask it.
C# actually, not unityscript. I also will add that if you're a beginner you shouldn't be working on a voxel engine. I don't have time, nor can I be bothered to check the minor details of the Squirrel language out but I'm almost certain that it doesn't have some of the features needed to make an efficient voxel engine. Joining a contest doesn't show your skill, anyone could join a fucking contest and score nothing. On that note I'm telling you that this is my last post on this thread and I wish you good luck with your project. (To be honest I wouldn't shed a tear if it failed and nor would most of the people here).
Oh and regarding your note on how difficult it is to develop an engine, I agree developing an engine takes time and effort. Time and effort I can put in the core game when using a premade engine like Unity3D.
P.S. Learn english instead of using fucking google translate, couldn't understand 90% of what you said.
Trio
Deuced Up

UNITiS,I do not use translators! As I have said,Russian language have different order of words,so if I translate text,written my own, It look fully normal. C# is normal lang,but it is for Microsoft only,this is no future. C# is almost script language like java,it is not so fast as C++,and it is not so powerful as C++,and it is much easier.I write my own engine,to do it editable by me+to learn a lot of a lot of technologies. I use squirrel to make editable parts of game based on events like OnShot,OnMove etc. Good bye UNITiS,look news of my project.

Progress
I have deleted some stupid bug,and now I am making simple map editor.
DrDeuce
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Trio wrote:
UNITiS,I do not use translators! As I have said,Russian language have different order of words,so if I translate text,written my own, It look fully normal. C# is normal lang,but it is for Microsoft only,this is no future. C# is almost script language like java,it is not so fast as C++,and it is not so powerful as C++,and it is much easier.I write my own engine,to do it editable by me+to learn a lot of a lot of technologies. I use squirrel to make editable parts of game based on events like OnShot,OnMove etc. Good bye UNITiS,look news of my project.

Progress
Unfortunatly you are kind of impossible to understand, try and use a translator for some of your words
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Trio wrote:
C# is normal lang,but it is for Microsoft only,this is no future. C# is almost script language like java,it is not so fast as C++,and it is not so powerful as C++,and it is much easier.I write my own engine,to do it editable by me+to learn a lot of a lot of technologies. I use squirrel to make editable parts of game based on events like OnShot,OnMove etc. Good bye UNITiS,look news of my project.
I counted 4 lies in this post.
1. C# isn't just for Windows, there is something called Mono which is a .net implementation for Linux/Mac.
2. C# isn't a scripting language by any definition of the term.
3. C# is just as fast as C++.
4. C# is just as powerful as C++.

Stop before you hurt yourself.
rakiru
Coder
Coder

Trio wrote:

Progress
Sorry, but I have to call bullshit here. C# and Java are most definitely not "scripting languages". In most cases, they'll run at 99% the speed C++ code will. As for C++ being easier, that's mostly a matter of opinion, but as it's a lot lower level, I personally disagree with this.
DrDeuce
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

rakiru wrote:
Trio wrote:

Progress
Sorry, but I have to call bullshit here. C# and Java are most definitely not "scripting languages". In most cases, they'll run at 99% the speed C++ code will. As for C++ being easier, that's mostly a matter of opinion, but as it's a lot lower level, I personally disagree with this.
Personelly, being someone who uses java, I can say that Java is not really a beginner language. Unfortunatly, I'm a beginner :P

Seriously though, you can make some pretty neat stuff with java - but I think C# is better at some things
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Types are good. Yes, they force you do to understand your algorithms, but then they catch you if you do something stupid, and they make your program much more efficient.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Sonarpulse wrote:
Types are good. Yes, they force you do to understand your algorithms, but then they catch you if you do something stupid, and they make your program much more efficient.
This, this to the max.
115 posts Page 6 of 8 First unread post
Return to “Other Games”