Porting Voxlap

Miscellaneous projects by the Build and Shoot community.
222 posts Page 11 of 15 First unread post
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Lol.

If Duff Paddy says it, do not question it.
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

@Duff Paddy,

Wait, have you been working on voxlap too? if so please continue pushing to github more regularly, I'll get a notification and can help you if you run into any issues.
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Duff Paddy wrote:
Should have a fully working c++ version of 0.75 / 0.76 netcode within the next week.
Can you please ensure that your code builds + runs with MinGW (assuming you're using Windows)? Because I'm reminded of that time I did the Allegro Speedhack, and NONE of the MSVC++ entries would compile on G++.

Anyhow, if you really want Lua embedded into the client, I can help you there. (lua_newtable(L); lua_pushcfunction(L, fn_bar); lua_setfield(L, -2, "bar"); lua_pushcfunction(L, fn_baz); lua_setfield(L, -2, "baz"); lua_setglobal(L, -1, "foo"); // defines foo.bar, foo.baz)
But I'm totally OK with coding in Python (it's my main go-to language these days).
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

Can someone eli5 this for me?
What does porting voxlap actually mean, what's the benefits?
I'm confused.
Cajun Style
Deuced Up

That's great news, Duff!
At first I thought it would be silly to use Python instead of Lua, but maybe it makes sense to have the server and game work with the same language. I think the work you do is worth a separate thread. There might actually be some graphics engines (Voxlap on MSVC, cuberoot and its ancestor). Somebody should get working on the movement and physics. The exact game loop depends on the particular networking, so that might be a very good start.
rakiru
Coder
Coder

Python would be awesome, but yes, separate thread methinks.
TBS wrote:
I'm confused.
We could recreate the 0.x client using the same engine and have it work on more than just Windows.
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

rakiru wrote:
Python would be awesome, but yes, separate thread methinks.
TBS wrote:
I'm confused.
We could recreate the 0.x client using the same engine and have it work on more than just Windows.

Well, would it be legal to make changes with .75?
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

it's legal to remake it from scratch without help from Ben or Mat^2.
VladVP
Post Demon
Post Demon

TBS wrote:
For the first, technically yes.
For the second, that is not what we're doing. We're attempting to recreate the game completely from scratch using the same game engine. INFO FOR DEUCES: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

Well, aren't there going to be updates?
If not, then I don't see the point of this.
VladVP
Post Demon
Post Demon

TBS wrote:
Well, aren't there going to be updates?
There are indeed, none of us just got the time to work on it at the moment... (Vacation next week for me, so I might do a bit Green_tongue)
TBS wrote:
If not, then I don't see the point of this.
Explain.
TB_
Post Demon
Post Demon

I think there was a small mis-understanding.
When I said
I didn't talk about modifying the existing game. But modifying a copy of .75 that you're apparently making now.
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

rewriting from scratch is almost always legal. Reverse engineering in America is usually NOT legal due to shitty laws, but the protocol spec is based on groking pyspades, not reverse engineering the AoS client, so it's perfectly legal.
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

One of the reasons I started Iceball instead of continuing with modding 0.60 is because of the dubious legality of it.

Anyhow, pyspades itself was created by reverse-engineering versions of AoS (even having a reverse-engineered compression/decompression c/cpp file, which later turned out to be a part of ENet), until 0.55 (unreleased version), where I think there was some discussion on the <@> Mumble about getting pyspades up to date for its release. Since then, Ben had been helping Mat out by providing protocol documentation, which is why 0.58 had a working pyspades version right at its release. Ben even has a few direct commits to the pyspades repo.

It would be quite hard to argue a case for Pyspades for 0.75 being illegal now, considering this cooperation between Ben and Mat. But if didn't happen, then perhaps it would be illegal these days.

After all, every 0.75 server runs Pyspades (probably because server.exe doesn't actually work, at least in Wine).

Reconstructing the base game should be legal provided replacement assets are used. Just be careful not to commit trade dress infringement...
Sonarpulse
Coder
Coder

Yeah, you are absolutely correct. I am depending on pypsades "becomming legal" in my analysis but I agree that is a very safe assumption. Yeah I certainly wouldn't be taking any assets for AoS (but I'd love to share with iceball!) hopefully that will be sufficient for trade dress concerns (never head the term "trade dress" before btw).
222 posts Page 11 of 15 First unread post
Return to “Noteworthy Picks”