What Next?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
45 posts Page 3 of 3 First unread post
Alphajim
Deuced Up

Yep I know but "dead" isn't the good word ;)
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

How about letting izzy say what will happen with the domain, instead of speculating about it on 2 pages and not even giving any relevant idea of what to do with it.
The site could be used for presenting the classic and other aos versions/clones - i mean not only to to present Openspades and Iceball, but also Blockfield and few other versions of the Aos game.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

alexder wrote:
s JAGEX hasn't sold AoS rights we can't update classic versions
We don't have AoS rights and we never will get them, and even so, we need the source code, not the rights.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

longbyte1, don't talk to the spambot, just click the report button and carry on, so I don't have to click the report button and tell you to click the report button and carry on in future even though when you click it it will probably say someone's reported the post already.

And I thought we agreed that "terminally-ill cancer patient" was the correct term. "Dead" would imply we could actually get onto adopting something not shit to follow its legacy instead of people using "it's not dead! honest!" as an excuse to never do anything.
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

It seems that ace-spades.com domain = buildandshoot.com
I seriously thought that it will be used as new website to advertise aos related content.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
And I thought we agreed that "terminally-ill cancer patient" was the correct term.
That's pretty creative name for Aos, 10/10
Still, I'm saying that it would not need that much effort to bring back the players of the game, it would need activity of the admins and organizing the website and giving it more time than admins currently give for this community.
Kuunikal
Deuced Up

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
And I thought we agreed that "terminally-ill cancer patient" was the correct term.
Sounds like you're describing the 1.x forums more than this one.
AWhiteGuy
League Participant
League Participant

true, at least cancer patients have hope
beta is more like someone that's contracted aids
e: wait i didn't notice 'terminally-ill' shit nevermind
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Kuunikal wrote:
Sounds like you're describing the 1.x forums more than this one.
I'm not describing the forums, I'm describing the game itself.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Needs more chemo
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Needs more bleach actually
Atreyu
News Team
News Team

AWhiteGuy wrote:
or they'll leave because dead game
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
A consistent player-base of c. 100 people online almost 24/7 is hardly "dead" and is more than 99% of fringe games can claim. You and every other hipster judge the current state of AoS via comparison with a skewed perception of its golden days.

Granted, AoS has declined, but it has much potential, especially with offshoot versions. We were all there. We know what it was. We know what it is. Some of us know what it can be.

But I guess its cool to h8 so do as you will.
LeCom

Atreyu wrote:
AWhiteGuy wrote:
or they'll leave because dead game
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
A consistent player-base of c. 100 people online almost 24/7 is hardly "dead" and is more than 99% of fringe games can claim. You and every other hipster judge the current state of AoS via comparison with a skewed perception of its golden days.

Granted, AoS has declined, but it has much potential, especially with offshoot versions. We were all there. We know what it was. We know what it is. Some of us know what it can be.

But I guess its cool to h8 so do as you will.
AoS IS dead. The 100 players you see on the server list are playing a port of CS to the AoS engine.

And 100 players isn't much at all. I can tell you about games that are literally like awful crap that someone has pulled out of his ass and they still have more people.
Alphajim
Deuced Up

This.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

well it's something, Lecom.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Atreyu wrote:
Except there actually were more players, and it was actually a different game.
Atreyu wrote:
Granted, AoS has declined, but it has much potential, especially with offshoot versions.
And nobody plays them.

After 3 years of much "potential" being applied I struggle to see any potential left. Everyone who can and will do anything is literally reinventing the wheel. Now I'm happy to try out these wheels, but until 0.75 gets nuked from orbit the community will only join a few events, pat themselves on the back, and then just not bother.

The reason we hardly touch the Iceball codebase these days is because the base gameplay is in place and it's already a completely playable game. Don't let the 0 in the version fool you. The only time we really touch the codebase is either to mess with some idea or tool, or to fix some bugs that people are experiencing (latest version at the time of writing fixes issues on the client for ARM builds pertaining to float->int conversion clamping instead of wrapping).

If you want further proof that this "potential" never comes to fruition, look at OpenSpades. It does 0.75 and 0.76. Nobody plays 0.76 these days. If it were to support something in a similar vein to PowerThirst (as in, servers which allow for client-side scripting), nobody would play on those servers either.

Say, what was that about having a skewed perception again?

To be blunt, if we're to get out of this shithole, the people who used to be on the 1.x forums would like a game that isn't broken. There's some stuff from 1.x that can be used as inspiration. For instance, prefabs led to a gameplay style where teams would build skybridges against each other. Despite not many people playing it, their CTF mode was actually pretty good, and a lot of the classic 0.x strats applied, although prefabs generally meant you built your intel tower Really Fucking High... and then you had to snipe out the enemy engineers who were trying to climb your tower.
45 posts Page 3 of 3 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”