What Can We Do

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
143 posts Page 3 of 10 First unread post
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

bloodfox wrote:
I'm sorry, Lincent, am I hearing that you can code am making a contribution? No. Please leave.
No I am the best. Also you're autistic.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Lincent wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
I'm sorry, Lincent, am I hearing that you can code am making a contribution? No. Please leave.
ok you can be quiet now and sit in the corner.

Anyway, Warblock was just an example, it probably wasn't going to be a working title. Warform makes me think of a body of a tank or a military vehicle, although somebody else might regard the name differently.

I think D is a nice compromise between C#'s power in syntactic sugar and high-level advanced operations done with a single keyword, and C++'s power in pointers and low-level access.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

longbyte1 wrote:
ok you can be quiet now and sit in the corner.

Anyway, Warblock was just an example, it probably wasn't going to be a working title. Warform makes me think of a body of a tank or a military vehicle, although somebody else might regard the name differently.

I think D is a nice compromise between C#'s power in syntactic sugar and high-level advanced operations done with a single keyword, and C++'s power in pointers and low-level access.
The name "longbyte1" makes me think of a 12 year old faggot who is obsessed with coding, although somebody else might regard the name differently.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Lincent wrote:
God fucking damnit, I say that Lincent went constructive and there he goes like a child again.
That is some damn weird sense of humour to call everyone autistic. If you think how much my maths or physics or programming professors are "obsessed" with their fields, you could call them autistic too. And that's, well, insightful and stupid at the same time.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Chameleon wrote:
If you think how much my maths or physics or programming professors are "obsessed" with their fields, you could call them autistic too. And that's, well, insightful and stupid at the same time.
Sure, I could call them autistic, however they do more useful things than you.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Chameleon,
the reason why I'm asking him to leave is because I'm pretty sure we all already know what he's saying. We already know not to make a clone of AoS (Although we might have start from there...). He can stay if he can give us ideas that we haven't heard already.

So dlang is decent enough for C/C++ users to change to, but what about C# users? Why not we just go for something along the lines of C++? Easier for all of us to convert to and it's more up to date than of C.

Now, about SW... I personally think that we shouldn't use SW because AoS players would already be kind of sick of it. We could use opengl just without so much eyecandy. Like Bytebit's BoS client where it runs opengl, barely any shaders and I get really good fps on that and this computer is utter shit. But yeah we should use similar renderers to what IB uses except get rid of the cell shaders... Doesn't fit imo.
LeCom

Dlang also copied a lot from C#. It combines the three C... versions, more or less.

The good thing about SW rendering is that you can always port the algorithm to GLSL shaders, which moves all calculations to the GPU.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

bloodfox wrote:
Now, about SW... I personally think that we shouldn't use SW because AoS players would already be kind of sick of it. We could use opengl just without so much eyecandy.
No. Have both OpenGL and SW. Both without eyecandy (only basic shadows, day/night and cheap dlights).
The main reason I wouldn't want to abandon SW is
a)old intel GPU's that run OpenGL ~1.4 and not more. Enough for Quake3, too old for IceBall's basic OGL renderer.
b)very cheap blur effect. So cheap it adds performance when used (from VXW - LeCom's idea). And couple this with the fact that explosions create particles, so with blur effect you could have more explosions.
c)high detail models look round-ish. OpenGL horse versus SW horse. SW model would look even better if you'd apply AoS-style shadow.
ByteBit
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

I need everyone's email address so I can invite you to slack. Just pm me or join irc shortly.
Spoiler:
lecom is already here and we have free cookies!
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

yeah couldn't do that over the weekend. I'll join today. I'll be active mostly through the week.

Ok, so OpenGL and SW. But both with simple shaders.

So just to be clear, the reason why SW gives us horrible fps is because it only relies on the GPU, correct?
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

the reason why SW gives us horrible fps is because it only relies on the GPU, correct?
You mean *CPU.
With GLSL part of the job would go to GPU, freeing CPU. So it wouldn't necessarily be a fast rendering algorithm, just as long as GPU and CPU together can take it.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

damn typos.
What engine will we be relying on? Or should we use PND3D?
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

PND3D for graphics?.. I heard it is not finished.
Anyway, I'll see what I can do with IB during next week. Can you guys tell me more about it?
I know that IceBall uses Lua for customize-ability, right? And when you connect to a server, you almost download a whole game; unless you store scripts/assets at client and check them when connecting. Now, if my guesses have been right so far...
a) How hard is Lua for Free-Pascal/C++/C# newbie?
b) Should asset checking on connection be hardcoded into .exe or can it be done in Lua? (so I don't have to dl whole game...)
c) How do I disable the toon effect?
d) How much stuff is actually hardcoded into .exe?
e) Why GM abandoned SW? It had LOD, which made it possible to run on 2.4GHz single-core. (I have i7 now, but performance matters)
LeCom

PND3D is finished but Ken would have to get his stuff together and do formal things first before releasing it
a) Sadly lua is a terrible language. I can't really say how hard it is to learn but you'd certainly have to get used to a lot of different things.
b) They're very likely to have implemented that already. Judging from how hard it is to just display a model, even if it's possible in lua, you'd have to hack the whole engine to implement that yourself.
c) Disable shaders in clsave/config.json
d) Considering the amount of C code compared to lua code, I'd say the .exe is basically just a mod loader and rendering/networking engine.
e) It wasn't fast enough. They were working on GLSL last time they posted stuff on IB Reddit.

I started writing a basic client in Dlang and a server in Python (performance critical stuff will be moved to C). The client will use renderer modules, so we can switch between SW, OpenGL, PND3D and Voxlap.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

You could use PND3D but do expect to have all your hacks undone when Ken releases it for real. I wouldn't expect great portability out of it either.

Also Lua is a decent language, it's definitely a downstep from practically any legitimate programming language, because it's exactly that, a scripting language. Please, spam metatables or use decimal indices for your so-called "arrays" in Lua. But lessons have been learned from Garry's Mod scripting...
143 posts Page 3 of 10 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”