How to get more people to play the game?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
GrabMySMG
Deuce

The number of people playing this game has significantly decreased. Every time I play this game and look on the openspades server list its like about 6 servers in which 2 of them are the boring old hallway, then arena aloha.pk and nuketown. But theres so many servers down the list that no one is playing. aloha.pk infiltration is pretty good. I miss the old ace of spades community about 2-3 years ago. What the hell happened? Why did people leave? What can we do to bring them back like the good ole days? It was so fun back then with maps like harbor_2 and normandie and other servers.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

no one gives a shit about bringing it back, so, no dice.
GrabMySMG
Deuce

bloodfox wrote:
Well Im pretty sure that there's a bunch of people like me who want to bring this game back to life.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

the game can thrive on aloha.pk. This shitty community is going down no matter what you wanna do to help it.
Insanity-Wolf
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Telling more people about it is about as good as you're gonna get.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

they'll get scared away from us xD We're unwelcoming and unnecessarily hostile to those 9 year olds that wanna join. Am I gonna do something about it? Eh, idk.
EldredChandler
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

GrabMySMG wrote:
The number of people playing this game has significantly decreased. Every time I play this game and look on the openspades server list its like about 6 servers in which 2 of them are the boring old hallway, then arena aloha.pk and nuketown. But theres so many servers down the list that no one is playing. aloha.pk infiltration is pretty good. I miss the old ace of spades community about 2-3 years ago. What the hell happened? Why did people leave? What can we do to bring them back like the good ole days? It was so fun back then with maps like harbor_2 and normandie and other servers.
Lack of actual proper moderation and 0 updates in years didn't help.
QuantumWraith
Deuce

The fact that there are people playing this game at all should be a testament to the concept.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Here, let me apply your logic to something else:
QuantumWraith wrote:
The fact that there are people who fuck animals at all should be a testament to the concept.
That's right. You should go fuck an animal today. There's one right next to me. But I don't fuck animals. But there are people who do!

Anyway, statistically speaking this game is still dying. I remember when the player count was consistently in the triple-digits. These days it seems to be consistently in the double-digits. I also remember when there was more than one name that meant "we actually admin this server properly". These days it's just Aloha.

Oh, and did you notice that 30 out of the 64 servers on the list right now are Aloha?

Ignoring the blatant clinging onto the norm that actually happens, this isn't a sign that Aloha isn't killing the game, but rather a sign of just how fucked this game is.

As someone said it (sorry I forget who), Ace of Spades is basically a terminally ill cancer patient.

----

EDIT: I might as well actually answer the OP.
GrabMySMG wrote:
The number of people playing this game has significantly decreased.
No shit, Sherlock!
GrabMySMG wrote:
Every time I play this game and look on the openspades server list its like about 6 servers in which 2 of them are the boring old hallway, then arena aloha.pk and nuketown.
IIRC the "every server is Hallway" issue was a lot worse about 2 years ago. There's a bit more diversity now but the active server count is pretty much on the money!
GrabMySMG wrote:
But theres so many servers down the list that no one is playing.
And as I said earlier in this post, almost half of them are Aloha.
GrabMySMG wrote:
aloha.pk infiltration is pretty good.
Shit, infiltration still exists?
GrabMySMG wrote:
I miss the old ace of spades community about 2-3 years ago.
I miss how the game was about 4 years ago.
GrabMySMG wrote:
What the hell happened?
Game stopped getting updated. Ended up full of skids with aimbots.
GrabMySMG wrote:
Why did people leave?
Because nothing ever happened.
GrabMySMG wrote:
What can we do to bring them back like the good ole days?
Do something new. Breathe life into this game. Get shoved to one side and ignored by anyone who can actually do anything in favour of 0.75. Leave for other games. Look back after a year and realise that it's still fucked.
GrabMySMG wrote:
It was so fun back then with maps like harbor_2 and normandie and other servers.
Y'know what's great about those two maps? You can dig and trench. Normandie not so much, but still an improvement over the strictly mathematical maps with no diggable floor that you see all too often.
QuantumWraith
Deuce

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
That's right. You should go fuck an animal today. There's one right next to me. But I don't fuck animals. But there are people who do!
...I'm sure it has it's flaws, but hey, they clearly enjoy it, so maybe it's not such a bad concept afterall.. Blue_Septic Green_Septic Blue_Pistol Green_Happy1
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
Anyway, statistically speaking this game is still dying. I remember when the player count was consistently in the triple-digits. These days it seems to be consistently in the double-digits. I also remember when there was more than one name that meant "we actually admin this server properly". These days it's just Aloha.
I dunno. I've noticed it at 100-200 players for the past year or so (depending on time of day, ofc)... and I visit the forum at least once a week.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

GrabMySMG wrote:
What the hell happened? Why did people leave?
This. vvvvv
bloodfox wrote:
Allot of people care, its just that no one gets together to play this game, the servers have no admins, and due to the lack of updates there is an almost infinite number of Ace of Spades 0.75&76 hacks.

If you want to get people back; host a server that uses only Openspades and invite people to play with you on it.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Lincent wrote:
If you want to get people back; host a server that uses only Openspades and invite people to play with you on it.
You missed the critical step: Add Powerthirst support (or something that does pretty much the same thing, we just happen to have PT as an established yet not really used framework), then extend it from there.

Or I guess you could fork the Powerthirst protocol and make it more tailored towards how OpenSpades works, rather than how the Voxlap version works.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

The issue is that if we dominate servers with "Openspades only" stuff, then all the AoS fans will give up and not even try openspades cause their computers are shit. Seriously, forcing them to Openspades will just only decrease players even more.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

bloodfox wrote:
The issue is that if we dominate servers with "Openspades only" stuff, then all the AoS fans will give up and not even try openspades cause their computers are shit. Seriously, forcing them to Openspades will just only decrease players even more.
They should get a real computer.

Seriously, fuck netbooks. A low-end non-netbook laptop should be enough these days.

And if you don't need a laptop, you can build something non-shit even cheaper.

Check this list here. The "Media Elite" at the time of writing is ~$366 w/o mail-in rebates and even has a graphics card. It should be enough, and probably outperforms my setup. The "Media Lite" is ~$180, and you can add another ~$100 for a graphics card if it turns out to be not good enough.

Also, you may want to turn Global Illumination off. Probably also turn off motion blur as that's basically an antifeature, although I think a modern integrated GPU can handle motion blur with minimal performance hit.
LeCom

Not advertising, but since I got Linux, I actually can play OS with a playable framerate if I set the resolution to 800x600. Windows is slowing GL down quite much. GPU drivers are also relevant here.
About any kind of blurring: I am really surprised that it slows things down heavily, seeing how well my gpu can do loads of alpha blits with no delay.

But anyways, "get a better PC" is never a good attitude, it's not like they have 486s out there. We're having a voxel game here, that simplifies rendering greatly and if one fails taking advantage of that, it shouldn't be other people's problem
16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”