VoxelWar Discussion thread

Miscellaneous projects by the Build and Shoot community.
1001 posts Page 30 of 67 First unread post
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

Warp wrote:
LeCom wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
Hmmmmm.... May I suggest perhaps putting in a melee weapon? not now though
Why do so many people want additional melee weapons? The spade is perfect.
Possibly because killing someone with a spade seems a bit strange :)

Maybe a pickaxe? Green_Sunglasses1
http://www.cracked.com/article_21307_th ... ed_p2.html
Scroll down to number 81
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

have you considered releasing the server files and source code yet?
it looks good though.
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

MrHaaax wrote:
Might just as well as to apply a darker, gray-ish fog for the sake of World War One feel :D
Can you make the fog slightly transparent instead of the usual AoS 'solid' fog? It would be very cool when you see a silhoutte in the shadows, take aim, and shoot, and ended up killing a teammate. Which bought up this: make the game a bit like Red Orchestra, no HUD at default and must be bought up with a button. And all the HUD has is the objective(intel in good ol' CTF), your tent and intel, etc. No ammo indicator, must check your ammo by holding R(which gives a vague description like, 'your magazine is half-empty')....
Oh man, I can continue until the end of the world, please check some Red Orchestra gameplay and you'll see what I mean. Also Verdun-WW1 Unity-based FPS.
It's not that I want this client to be an exact copy of RO, but for the ultimate World War feel,... Yeah.
not everyone would be cool with this, so maybe a toggle for everything, a la battleground europe?
EddieMann
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I hope that it'll be easy to use like Ace Of Spades, with the gun further back and such, with simplified server joining and all that other stuff.

Hopefully it becomes the new ace of spades, and when it DOES get the same notion as the old AoS and a company asks to buy the game from you after helping you develop it, think twice; You already know what happened when Ben Aksoy sold his game out, don't let that happen with yours.

(Additionally, if we were able to get bcoolface/Ben to help you develop your game, that'd be grand.)

As with the graphics and all, we probably may need a couple modders here to help with weapon design.
LeCom

EddieMann wrote:
I hope that it'll be easy to use like Ace Of Spades, with the gun further back and such, with simplified server joining and all that other stuff.

Hopefully it becomes the new ace of spades, and when it DOES get the same notion as the old AoS and a company asks to buy the game from you after helping you develop it, think twice; You already know what happened when Ben Aksoy sold his game out, don't let that happen with yours.

(Additionally, if we were able to get bcoolface/Ben to help you develop your game, that'd be grand.)

As with the graphics and all, we probably may need a couple modders here to help with weapon design.
The client itself is going to stay simple, but the gameplay behind it will be complex.

You don't need to worry about VXW being sold or something. I will secretly give source backups to some guys, so even if that happens (which I don't hope), they will release the source.

Some guys said that Ben is an incompetent programmer. I can neither approve nor deny this, but I don't have problems doing it alone.

The default mods are as I want them to be. They don't limit you when playing, but also create a big desire for better ones. But I'm planning to move the mods onto the server anyways, so scripting and modding will be close together, which will allow it to create wonderful content. As an example, you can look at the HMGs and airstrikes - they are 100% scripted. (mortars are built into the client for several non-technical reasons)

Concerning releasing the source: A lot of people have asked for that. Server script will be released when there's a proper VoxelWar community, enough people playing on servers, and the players have understood the concept of the game and won't change it into arena/hallway/run and gun shit. I'm not sure what you would need the source for if the game is being developed, but I might release it if I see that it all blooms and players wouldn't turn it into a run and gun game or make a lot of hacks.
I think that you see that it's probably not a good idea to make it all open-source in a community full of arena/hallway lovers and hackers.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

LeCom wrote:
The default mods are as I want them to be. They don't limit you when playing, but also create a big desire for better ones. But I'm planning to move the mods onto the server anyways, so scripting and modding will be close together, which will allow it to create wonderful content. As an example, you can look at the HMGs and airstrikes - they are 100% scripted. (mortars are built into the client for several non-technical reasons)
I'd like to ask for clarification on this. Does this mean that weapon skins will be server-side? Some of us can't run servers to just have our mods :) Or do you simply mean weapon damage/behaivour mods?

Also, I've read over it- are we having PNG sights, rendered kv6's or what?

Last thing- are the pivots and the sizing for the guns the same as the one's for OpenSpades- they look similar, but I'm not sure. Green_BigSmile
LeCom

Warp wrote:
LeCom wrote:
I'd like to ask for clarification on this. Does this mean that weapon skins will be server-side? Some of us can't run servers to just have our mods :) Or do you simply mean weapon damage/behaivour mods?

Also, I've read over it- are we having PNG sights, rendered kv6's or what?

Last thing- are the pivots and the sizing for the guns the same as the one's for OpenSpades- they look similar, but I'm not sure. Green_BigSmile
I planned it like that: Modders do the KV6 and release them. Server owners can install these KV6 on their servers, which would make the clients use all these KV6. If the server doesn't have any KV6 installed, the clients use the KV6 that the players chose. So you don't have to run a server just to use different KV6. Scripters can cooperate with modders to make new content. For example, a scripter could write an extension that creates barbed wires that hurt players, and the modder does the KV6. Both can be put on the server and would be used in the client. But don't worry about this - it's planned in the very far future.
And especially, the community will be able to decide how modding would be, since I don't know how it is best for modders and for players who use/would like to use mods. If nobody wants server-side modding, it won't be added.

Right now, the sights have to be included in the weapon KV6. I added an additional scope.KV6 file, but it didn't want to align it properly with the gun, so you would have to experimentally find out where to set the pivots, and that would suck. That's why I removed it.

You can choose the resolution of some KV6 files in the Mod.ini . (Gun_Scope is the resolution for the same gun when scoping in). Pivot points are almost as in other clients, but there's a small offset of ~1-2, so you have to do small adjusting. The standart guns show how you put the pivots properly.

But I see, the modding part of VXW needs some work.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Thank you for your swift and informative reply, I can't wait to start modding VoxelWar, but I don't want to start until the process is at a stable state.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Warp wrote:
Thank you for your swift and informative reply, I can't wait to start modding VoxelWar, but I don't want to start until the process is at a stable state.
Agreed. I am excited to do some modding for VXW. @Lecom, when will you release a stable version so we can start modding? Just do a estimated guess, please.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

bloodfox wrote:
Warp wrote:
Agreed. I am excited to do some modding for VXW. @Lecom, when will you release a stable version so we can start modding? Just do a estimated guess, please.
what do you mean stable version to start modding?
you can mod it already
LeCom

Zekamalikyd wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
Warp wrote:
what do you mean stable version to start modding?
you can mod it already
He means when I stop doing changes to it so he wouldn't have to redo mods.
I have no idea, right now I'm doing experiments with the scope code. But I might have ideas for other things.
However, if you are so eager to start modding, why wait? Even if things change, you only will have to modify it a bit, which is a lot less work than creating a mod.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Do you know when the server will be up- can I set one up on localhost?

I can't test mods unless I have a server to test them on.
LeCom

Warp wrote:

Sure sure, just set the version to 3 if 0.75 and 4 if 0.76 in the config.ini, and just double-click the client.exe .

I have no idea when the server will be up, it depends on when shaz goes online again.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

LeCom wrote:
Warp wrote:

Sure sure, just set the version to 3 if 0.75 and 4 if 0.76 in the config.ini, and just double-click the client.exe .

I have no idea when the server will be up, it depends on when shaz goes online again.
I get a crash when I do that (Windows 8.1x64): http://gfycat.com/AgitatedBeneficialAngelfish
LeCom

Warp wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Warp wrote:

I get a crash when I do that (Windows 8.1x64): http://gfycat.com/AgitatedBeneficialAngelfish
What map are you using? It can be the map that is causing the crash. What does log.txt say? Also, how do you make PySnip not send a wrong map size of 1536 K? xd
1001 posts Page 30 of 67 First unread post
Return to “Noteworthy Picks”