"Pre-rendering" lighting in maps?

Instructions for using and creating mods.
6 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Sometimes, a map can be bright enough (like mesa.vxl) that it's impractical to assume that the weather in the map is foggy.

Is it a good idea to cast shadows when making the map to show the illusion that the sun is shining from a specific direction?

(Sorry if posted in the wrong forum.)
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Sun is always in the north cause yvt was from Asia. You can adjust brightness of maps using qubicle. Its up to you with shadows. If you have the time to do it then do it other wise no big deal.
Lostmotel
League Participant
League Participant

Sun is always in the north cause yvt was from Asia.
mindblown Blue_Surprised2

I've seen many of Jagex's maps being somewhat "overbaked" , for instance their own version of hiesville: Image
While that may look neat on the minimap it looks rather ugly in the game itself (all the dark shadows end up being on the ground, trust me, it really doesn't look nice). As Jdrew pointed out, OpenSpades but also the voxlap client emulate sunlight comming from the north so there is no absolute necessity to add shadows on your maps in my opinion. However, additional shading can still contribute to the overall feel of a map, unless of course, it is done like on a Jagex map only in respect of the map overview. In particular, I think that Yourself did a great job at casting rather subtle shadows on some of his maps like Harbor2. Jojoes terrain template is also interesting for this purpose since it allows you to bake shadows 3-dimensionally with different sun angles and directions and Influx has also written this great tutorial http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8376
AerozEagle
Deuce

This web explain everything. when I don't know. I will come to see your answer.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

AerozEagle wrote:
This web explain everything. when I don't know. I will come to see your answer.
Wow, this is the most sophisticated spam engine that I have ever seen. Too bad it likes to necropost.
Kyzaca
Deuced Up

AerozEagle wrote:
Oh my god !!! You open my eye to new world. Long time ago I look like the blind.
6 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Guides / Tutorials”