Iceball Project

Iceball is a moddable, open source, cross-platform engine and game inspired by AoS Classic. Created by GreaseMonkey.
Incompatible with PySnip/pyspades-based AoS Classic 0.75/0.76 servers.
1410 posts Page 1 of 94 First unread post
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Iceball 0.1.2 released: http://iceball.rakiru.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=61

Server list: http://play.iceball.rakiru.com:27790/

Official website
source code + pkg/ + svsave/ essentials for hosting your own server

DO NOT REQUEST THAT WE ADD AN SMG. THIS IS A FINAL DECISION, AND WILL NOT CHANGE. YOU CANNOT CONVINCE US TO ADD IT. IF YOU REQUEST AN SMG, I WILL REGARD IT AS SPAM.
you can always make one yourself it's not hard

-----
melchips needs ALL the cookies for his effort - this fog distance (408, using 2601 chunks w/ 5 chunk updates each frame) runs at 30fps on my Intel 3000HD:

Basically, Iceball is a rewrite of the Ace of Spades we know and love. But it's also a moddable/scriptable engine so stuff can actually be fixed by more than a select few. For instance: Is the SMG a nooby pile of crap? (Hint, the answer is "Yes") Not a problem! You can fix it!

The source code is at this URL: https://github.com/iamgreaser/iceball/ (NOTE, this is not an official Buld Then Snip LLC project!)

You will need the following libraries to compile the code: You will also need a real C compiler (read: not MSVC (update: learn_more has been porting it)). It will probably have to be GCC-based, so if you're on Windows you will probably need to use MinGW. As of 13 Nov 2012, there is a makefile you can use - assuming you've installed MinGW and stuck all the important stuff in winlibs/ as instructed in Makefile.mingw, just type "make -f Makefile.mingw CC=gcc" on the command line (as far as I know).

For the GL renderer, "make -f Makefile.glmingw CC=gcc" and run iceball-gl.exe instead of iceball.exe. On not-Windows, "make -f Makefile.opengl" and run ./iceball-gl as usual.

Development changes a lot so I removed the "features as of date XYZ" thing. The basic gameplay is there. If there's bugs, check the Github issue tracker.

What you can do to help:
  • Compile the code, and have a play around. I'm not making builds for you right now. Build it yourself.
  • Contribute code.
  • Make a better PMF editor (see docs/format_pmf.txt for the spec and pkg/base/pmf/*.pmf for example models). Note, if you use XNA I will actually boycott it (and probably change the format just to screw your program up).
  • Make PMF models. PMF is a bit more flexible than KV6 as you can specify the point sizes and group stuff into separate body parts / bones. It's also simpler. I will accept KV6 but it lacks this flexibility. NOTE: current limits are 4096 points per bone, 256 bones per PMF file.
  • Make some sounds. 22kHz 8-bit mono .wav will be the final output format, but feel free to send me 44kHz 16-bit .wavs.
If you're willing to help, there is something I cannot stress enough:

Read The Fucking Manual.
Last edited by GreaseMonkey on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 53 times in total.
Carnage
Deuce

A tremendous amount of effort has been put into this, and is still being put into it. But say we've got a few nubs coming to the BaS community from the Jagex-run one, and they don't know how to do this. Do you think you'll have it set up in the future where it's one little download and you'll have the whole game in the palm of your hands?
HeatZane
Deuce

i can make sounds.
rakiru
Coder
Coder

I was thinking about seeing if people wanted to make a similar game, but it looks like you've already gone ahead and started, lol. I'll be watching this and I'll help out if I can.
CraftDinur
Deuced Up

An OS that isn't Windows? mfw
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

I've started work on a .kv6 to .pmf converter but the formats are so different.

Would probably be easier to make a .pmf editor.
ThisFrickinSite
Deuced Up

*orgasms*
Frosty
Deuced Up

I love you Grease.
Szuwar
Deuce

GM, I've compiled it under WinXP and it wasn't such a chore as I expected. Not many modification in Makefile as well.
I've noticed a slight mouse problem, but it might been caused by running this on virtual machine.

On linux it runs smoother and without any problems.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Will any subversion of Lua 5.1 work? Cause I am not really sure which one to use :/
Szuwar
Deuce

I've compiled lua-5.1.4 from source: http://www.lua.org/ftp/
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Szuwar wrote:
I've compiled lua-5.1.4 from source: http://www.lua.org/ftp/
Thanks.

EDIT:
This is just a pain in the rear.

Could someone give me a windows build? I just want to test out PMF models >_>

Lord forbid I actually take the time to contribute.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Szuwar gave me a build.

Okay.. The ortho cubes are just annoying me. If I can get iceball to build finally I try to get it to use non-ortho cubes.
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Pretty sure it's perspective, not ortho. (EDIT: Or are you talking about the fact that all the PMF points are drawn as rects? Or is this to do with the VXL renderer not being complete?)

Anyhow, I've pushed an update which should HOPEFULLY render everything that's visible. From here I need to ensure that it doesn't try to render stuff that it's easy to stop from rendering, such as the sea when you're deep in the tunnel in Anticbridge (which is a really shit map, by the way, but good for testing the renderer as it tends to get bogged down in that map).

Going to give the "make the renderer not a slow piece of crap" effort a rest for now so I can focus on, say, catching up to RootDynasty's efforts (well, he has block building / breaking working).
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

The fact that the map blocks are drawn as rectangles bugs me.
1410 posts Page 1 of 94 First unread post
Return to “Iceball”