Iceball Project

Iceball is a moddable, open source, cross-platform engine and game inspired by AoS Classic. Created by GreaseMonkey.
Incompatible with PySnip/pyspades-based AoS Classic 0.75/0.76 servers.
1430 posts Page 6 of 96
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:07 pm


MrHaaax wrote:
We will have our own editor soon.
First post in thread, Windows build creatively hidden somewhere, read docs/editor_pmf.txt for more info (hint, the first key is F2).

Although it's a bit crap, so feel free to make a better one.
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:07 pm


After moving the map loading stuff into Lua (and also adding a mostly untested *.icemap loader), I decided to add image creation / editing routines...

Image

Yeah, I know, it's only putpixel / blit. But it works!

And yes, you even get the big map with the battleship markers:

Image

Next step: fetching files through the *cough* "network" *cough*.
Semper
Deuced Up
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm


dat shotgun.
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:11 am


it looks really cool, good job dude. I think you should focus more on equipment/support weapons rather than adding things like smgs and shotguns. I think the SMG was a decent idea, but when the shotgun was implemented in aos it was kind of weird since the SMG already had a close-range role. a shotgun might be a better idea to add instead of adding an SMG, but I personally like SMGs more
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 am


Priok wrote:
it looks really cool, good job dude. I think you should focus more on equipment/support weapons rather than adding things like smgs and shotguns. I think the SMG was a decent idea, but when the shotgun was implemented in aos it was kind of weird since the SMG already had a close-range role. a shotgun might be a better idea to add instead of adding an SMG, but I personally like SMGs more
How about make it like WW1/WW2, and add some sidearms. Hell, even a shotgun as a sidearm could be funny.
No it isn't.

On sidearms, obviously a simple pistol. Grease, add this please, me and others hate to ran out of ammo on a streak/in middle of battlefield. Obviously it's your stats.

On World War equipment:
Trench-digging: Shovel.
Area Denial(Defense): Stationary HMGs.(RPGs are not needed IMO, back then they were used against tanks, not a gunner; a sniper would do)

Seriously, we need some more tactical stuff to use. Radio for backup? Voice commands?(As in Counter Strike, Battlefield and tactical shooters).

And imagine how would AoS like war. Slow-paced, gun shots everywhere, people scared about being shot... Man. I would love something like that.
rakiru
Coder
Coder
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:26 pm


MrHaaax wrote:
Priok wrote:
it looks really cool, good job dude. I think you should focus more on equipment/support weapons rather than adding things like smgs and shotguns. I think the SMG was a decent idea, but when the shotgun was implemented in aos it was kind of weird since the SMG already had a close-range role. a shotgun might be a better idea to add instead of adding an SMG, but I personally like SMGs more
How about make it like WW1/WW2, and add some sidearms. Hell, even a shotgun as a sidearm could be funny.
No it isn't.

On sidearms, obviously a simple pistol. Grease, add this please, me and others hate to ran out of ammo on a streak/in middle of battlefield. Obviously it's your stats.

On World War equipment:
Trench-digging: Shovel.
Area Denial(Defense): Stationary HMGs.(RPGs are not needed IMO, back then they were used against tanks, not a gunner; a sniper would do)

Seriously, we need some more tactical stuff to use. Radio for backup? Voice commands?(As in Counter Strike, Battlefield and tactical shooters).

And imagine how would AoS like war. Slow-paced, gun shots everywhere, people scared about being shot... Man. I would love something like that.
Iceball is a Lua engine, so custom stuff can be added. As for voice chat, there's always Mumble, but Greasemonkey has mentioned the possibility of adding voice chat to the game.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 am


rakiru wrote:
MrHaaax wrote:
Priok wrote:
it looks really cool, good job dude. I think you should focus more on equipment/support weapons rather than adding things like smgs and shotguns. I think the SMG was a decent idea, but when the shotgun was implemented in aos it was kind of weird since the SMG already had a close-range role. a shotgun might be a better idea to add instead of adding an SMG, but I personally like SMGs more
How about make it like WW1/WW2, and add some sidearms. Hell, even a shotgun as a sidearm could be funny.
No it isn't.

On sidearms, obviously a simple pistol. Grease, add this please, me and others hate to ran out of ammo on a streak/in middle of battlefield. Obviously it's your stats.

On World War equipment:
Trench-digging: Shovel.
Area Denial(Defense): Stationary HMGs.(RPGs are not needed IMO, back then they were used against tanks, not a gunner; a sniper would do)

Seriously, we need some more tactical stuff to use. Radio for backup? Voice commands?(As in Counter Strike, Battlefield and tactical shooters).

And imagine how would AoS like war. Slow-paced, gun shots everywhere, people scared about being shot... Man. I would love something like that.
Iceball is a Lua engine, so custom stuff can be added. As for voice chat, there's always Mumble, but Greasemonkey has mentioned the possibility of adding voice chat to the game.
Voice Commands here as in, well, commands. You all know those commands in most tactical games.
Like, adding Group Radio Commands, Response, etc.. to the game. Make things easier because we tend to get killed while chatting and crouching :(
rakiru
Coder
Coder
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:26 pm


MrHaaax wrote:
Voice Commands here as in, well, commands. You all know those commands in most tactical games.
Like, adding Group Radio Commands, Response, etc.. to the game. Make things easier because we tend to get killed while chatting and crouching :(
Ah, I see, my bad. Yeah, that could be pretty useful.
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:07 pm


Been working on stuff. Now not only can you shoot your rifle and run out of ammo, you can also kill people. Yes!

Image

I also have a chat/killfeed thing working. You can't type chat messages yet, but the system's there, and it shouldn't be too hard to expand it to do scrollback. Also, for once, it's actually top-to-bottom!

Stuff to be done with tools and whatnot:
  • block health / colour darkening / colour restoration after some time
  • get stuff that isn't the rifle to have delays and whatnot
  • get grenades working
  • stick in the fucking tent / intel for once (EDIT: done)
  • actual chat support (EDIT: done)
  • better death animation (i don't think "falling through the floor" is going to be trendy for long, might see how much effort it takes to do "guy lying on his back")
  • EDIT: ARGH SHIT I forgot to mention audio support.
And the other stuff of course, which will probably be done roughly in parallel:
  • common.fetch_block (EDIT: done)
  • make every load thing rely on common.fetch_block (EDIT: done)
  • common.fetch (EDIT: refactored the API into common.fetch_start / common.fetch_poll)
  • make common.fetch_block rely on common.fetch (EDIT: refactored / done)
  • network sending code (linked list stuff for now) (EDIT: done)
  • make common.fetch send stuff over a "network" (EDIT: DONE!!!)
  • serialise the linked lists so that it's more like an actual network (EDIT: done)
  • get the lua end to talk to the server properly (EDIT: done)
  • get it to work over an actual network (EDIT: DONE, and FUCK YOU WINSOCK)
  • move the bulk of the logic to the server (EDIT: in progress)
  • set up proper path permissions (EDIT: done)
  • add JSON config support (EDIT: done)
  • add newline appendable file support
  • test
  • fix bugs
  • test
  • fix bugs
  • test
  • fix bugs
  • test
  • fix bugs
  • test
  • fix bugs
  • test
  • fix bugs
  • test
  • test
  • test
  • release.
Last edited by GreaseMonkey on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Bobby Lemain
Deuced Up
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:45 am


Easier to read colors in the chat window! I hate how votekicks, admin messages, and team speak are all the same color.

edit: I'd also be up for hosting a server when you need testing done. I'm hosting a 0.75 AoS server at the moment off a laptop so my bandwidth seems okay.
Vucgy
Deuced Up
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:57 pm


Omg I tough AoS now has a bad graphics ( no prob with em ) but this is so ugly that it maybe will be to ugly to play , really disappearing blocks , and that every block ( EVEN THE EARTH ) turns to you is to much...
Semper
Deuced Up
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm


Vucgy wrote:
Omg I tough AoS now has a bad graphics ( no prob with em ) but this is so ugly that it maybe will be to ugly to play , really disappearing blocks , and that every block ( EVEN THE EARTH ) turns to you is to much...
Stfu, he is still working on the game. If you don't like it go back to your Jagex forums.
kmaj
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm


Vucgy wrote:
Omg I tough AoS now has a bad graphics ( no prob with em ) but this is so ugly that it maybe will be to ugly to play , really disappearing blocks , and that every block ( EVEN THE EARTH ) turns to you is to much...
Bounded cubes. I don't think it's permanent, we could even get actual 3d-like voxels on weapon moels too.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 am


kmaj wrote:
Vucgy wrote:
Omg I tough AoS now has a bad graphics ( no prob with em ) but this is so ugly that it maybe will be to ugly to play , really disappearing blocks , and that every block ( EVEN THE EARTH ) turns to you is to much...
Bounded cubes. I don't think it's permanent, we could even get actual 3d-like voxels on weapon moels too.
Well, it's all depend on you, Grease.
On topic, nice job! Keep up the good work!
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013
Posts: 979
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:02 pm


Vucgy wrote:
Omg I tough AoS now has a bad graphics ( no prob with em ) but this is so ugly that it maybe will be to ugly to play , really disappearing blocks , and that every block ( EVEN THE EARTH ) turns to you is to much...
Chill out dude, as soon as Grease stops being lazy we will get 3D blocks.
1430 posts Page 6 of 96
Return to “Iceball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest