Iceball Project

Iceball is a moddable, open source, cross-platform engine and game inspired by AoS Classic. Created by GreaseMonkey.
Incompatible with PySnip/pyspades-based AoS Classic 0.75/0.76 servers.
1410 posts Page 12 of 94 First unread post
Turner
Deuced Up

This is the future of our aos right here
pokemon771
Deuce

Will there be an SMG? :blue:
Articsledder
Deuced Up

GreaseMonkey wrote:
HoboHob wrote:
I'm gonna make a REAL rifle. That model sucks.
Check the page before this, Articsledder made a fairly good one.

We could do with a better every other model, though (except block,that's fine how it is). Just PLEASE don't rip off AoS.

While I'm at it... Articsledder, are you OK with that being licensed under CC3-BY-SA?
Don't mind at all, If I have some free time I would be interested in making models the "tent" and "intel" too. I am slipping in my grades a bit and probably wouldn't be able to make any until Christmas break however.
Lemon
League Participant
League Participant

pokemon771 wrote:
There better not be. SMGs ruin the game. I hope Iceball goes with only a rifle. And Grease, you have inspired me to pick up Lua and Python. Any tips?
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

he's already said there probably won't be one. I don't see how an SMG ruins a game though, there are tons of good games that have them in them, just because ace of spades could never balance things correctly doesn't mean they're never going to work in any other games.
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Moghard wrote:
I get crap FPS, dunno why. Maybe because Lua.
It's not because Lua, it's got everything to do with the voxel renderer. And no, I'm not using VOXLAP.
Moghard wrote:
BTW, great job, now you just need to make the blocks look like blocks.
Thanks.
I think speeding up the cubemap render step is what needs to happen first, but don't be suprised if it's still slow for the first release.
Razor wrote:
This looks REALLY awesome. I can probably help with some of the graphical stuff like possible textures and ect. I am fairly good at photoshop so if there is ANY way I can help ,I want to.
We could do with some better models / some maps. You might want to grab iceballfornoobs-003.zip for those and use pmfedit.bat / mapedit.bat.
Vucgy wrote:
Will the blocks later on be fixed like in ace of spades now so the terrain blocks doesn't "look at you" ?
Eventually.
Lemon wrote:
pokemon771 wrote:
There better not be. SMGs ruin the game.
pokemon771, if you've read the thread you would have noticed that I've ruled out any possibility of there being an SMG in the mainline trunk, ever. While there's a possibility that a well designed SMG might not ruin the game, I'm mostly pissed that the SMG ruined AoS. Having said that...
Lemon wrote:
I hope Iceball goes with only a rifle.
I might add weapons but right now it'll just be rifle.
Lemon wrote:
And Grease, you have inspired me to pick up Lua and Python. Any tips?
Python isn't used in Iceball, but it's totally worth learning anyway.
Iceball uses Lua for the actual game stuff.

For Lua you might want the Lua 5.1 official docs.

There's also tutorials and code snippets lingering around (use your search engine), but your best bet is to modify existing Lua code and see what happens.

Oh, and as for Python, these docs are good. The best tutorial for people who can't program at all is Think Python. The WORST tutorial on the other hand is Python The Hard Way, and you are allowed to beat people up who suggest you use it.
Turner
Deuced Up

I would love to create some new weapons/models and stuff. But I cannot figure out how to use the editor. Ill read the full modding txt tomorrow. I read the modding101
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

Turner: docs/editor_pmf.txt for pmfedit information, docs/editor_map.txt for mapedit information.

Also we managed to get I think 9 people on the server... here's a case where we managed 6 on a 128x128: Image
(yes, I screenshotted that from a video.)
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

What you could do is set up SDL to use an OpenGL renderer. Using GL1.1 would increase speeds (depending on the system mostly I guess) and would make it look... more block like.

I am currently using OpenGL to create my own Ace of Spades like thingy, not going very well but it runs super fast (if I wasn't limiting the FPS I could get 16777216 block map (512*512*64) (with all of them visible) running at >60 frames I bet, haven't actually tried. But I just might...)
Des
Deuce

Really liking this idea and possibly making some sound mods
HoboHob wrote:
What you could do is set up SDL to use an OpenGL renderer. Using GL1.1 would increase speeds (depending on the system mostly I guess) and would make it look... more block like.

I am currently using OpenGL to create my own Ace of Spades like thingy, not going very well but it runs super fast (if I wasn't limiting the FPS I could get 16777216 block map (512*512*64) (with all of them visible) running at >60 frames I bet, haven't actually tried. But I just might...)
and this sounds pretty legit yo
pokemon771
Deuce

Lemon wrote:
pokemon771 wrote:
I hope Iceball goes with only a rifle.

i wouldnt like that..

i feel there should be dif classics one for short - medium and long. it gives the game variety
CommieBuffalo
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

Good lord.
I have no words to describe this. REALLY nice work, Grease! I now actually have hopes to play the game I loved.

I could help make some models, but I have absolutely no experience with pretty much nothign except slab6. I'd have to go through all the learning process again but I see no problem in doing it, I might even learn lua while I'm at it to learn some programming stuff on the way.

For weapons, in my opinion the best path is to just stay with Rifle and maybe a pistol. HMGs would be interesting to see, but I see no need. Shotguns are a maybe IMO.
Des
Deuce

CommieBuffalo wrote:
Good lord.
I have no words to describe this. REALLY nice work, Grease! I now actually have hopes to play the game I loved.

I could help make some models, but I have absolutely no experience with pretty much nothign except slab6. I'd have to go through all the learning process again but I see no problem in doing it, I might even learn lua while I'm at it to learn some programming stuff on the way.

For weapons, in my opinion the best path is to just stay with Rifle and maybe a pistol. HMGs would be interesting to see, but I see no need. Shotguns are a maybe IMO.
Even if the game didn't have anything but a rifle we could make mods for it since that's completely accepted :D
Triplefox
Scripter
Scripter

Very basic inclusion of single bones as gui widgets. I don't like it, you have to rely on the bone center being what you want. However, nothing more convenient presents itself at the moment. Next up - tweening.
Razor
Deuced Up

Looks really good. Maybe you can make a sort of voxlap <=> this tool.
Example: Make mods in voxlap/slab6. Export to here, and some simple code works on it.
I don't think it sounds that hard if you say that this works the way I think it does.
1410 posts Page 12 of 94 First unread post
Return to “Iceball”