October 28

Iceball is a moddable, open source, cross-platform engine and game inspired by AoS Classic. Created by GreaseMonkey.
Incompatible with PySnip/pyspades-based AoS Classic 0.75/0.76 servers.
25 posts Page 2 of 2 First unread post
epicfacethe3rd
Deuced Up

bloodfox wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
ByteBit wrote:
No, just no.
Iceball is dead.
Say, how's that Java project going? We're moving to SDL2.

----

As for the rest of you, if you don't want it to be dead, actually organise stuff, and actually jump on. Like, for instance, telling people to join at a given date and time, instead of saying it's dead and refusing to join it. The results may shock you.

Also the main discussion places are /r/iceball and the IRC linked there. As in, we do our discussions on not-dead platforms.
Good to hear that you slowly start approaching the holy raycasting masterrace, so my gfx card won't instantly melt :P
Btw you really shouldn't rely on this shitty community, it will NEVER EVER do anything to support new projects.
Ye, this community is shit. Total shit, but, it has supported new projects quite well by playing on it and encouraging the people who make the game. The problem is that we don't have anyone else outside of the community to help bring popularity to the game. Relying on the people inside this community to make "full servers" is simply not enough judging by the "one user per day" type of deal going on these days. And most of the time, when the creators say "Oh, we need this game to be advertised. Can anyone do it?" The people whom support the game have no idea where to start. They suggest a steam page? Never happens cause they don't know where to start. and partly cause they are just sitting on their asses masturbating most of the time. We do seriously need to advertise Iceball though cause it has so much potential. It's fucking easy to mess around with and you can make any gun you want with it. It has a nice appeal to it but again, here is the same fucking problem: No. Advertising.
<unrip>
god damnit bloodfox.
I myself, did make a steam page, as I stated a looong ways back. I removed that page under request of MK himself, as he and I both agreed it was a shitty page. If you would like to complain, I suggest you take that up with yourself:
I asked BOTH separate communities to add things to possibly make a steam page. NOTHING. I repeat, fucking NOTHING was submitted. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
blame yourself fucking hypocrite. you literally just acted like one of the things I tried to do for this ENTIRE FUCKING COMMUNITY never happened.
fuck this shit, I'm leaving and not coming back to BnS. Izzy delete my account.
</REEEEEEEEEEEEEE>
<begins rip forever>
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

ye, but, shouldn't of you predicted the outcome of the BnS forums to not do anything about it? We're a bunch of 5 year olds, including myself, and we really do stand for the name of bullshit. That's that and tbh, fuck you for not seeing that and being that typical cunt of thinking 'Ohhh I WILL FIX THE COMMUNITY :DD"
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

From my point of view, epicface was an alright guy. And now he's out the door.

Best advice, if you want to remake AoS, source players from other communities. You can still source from here, but don't make that your primary source.
bloodfox wrote:
ye, but, shouldn't of you predicted the outcome of the BnS forums to not do anything about it? We're a bunch of 5 year olds, including myself, and we really do stand for the name of bullshit. That's that and tbh, fuck you for not seeing that and being that typical cunt of thinking 'Ohhh I WILL FIX THE COMMUNITY :DD"
Thing is when this forum was started the community wasn't like that. Like, we had people who actually did shit. Remember Cube Root? Development stopped on that because the developer felt that Iceball was the better option, but to be blunt I wouldn't have minded if development continued on that.

Yes, for about a week or so there was almost a race to see who could get a clone out first, and a fairly healthy and clean race too. And with Cube Root out of the race I still had to beat 1.x. I think I got an incomplete but playable release out just before 1.x came out. I still kept compatibility with that client long enough that it could connect to a version that had CTF and all the tools working.

Some time between Reuben announcing his retirement and Lecom showing up with VxW the community was complete shit. While I had my disagreements I still felt that VxW was an option that people should have gone along with.

I don't feel that we'll ever come full circle unless BnS actually shuts down, and even then I'm skeptical. Sadly, I think we will return to an era where everyone is just shit.

At least IRC is still a thing. You just have to bear the 1-minute-hello?-ers.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
What he wrote, it's just a huge post - Warp
I actually feel kinda bad about all this.

AoS, while old, is still solid. OS is a OK-ish clone gameplay wise. IB is awesome, and VXW had huge potential. What EpicFace and Bloodfox have been discussing is a example of The 1% / 10% rule - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule ... culture%29.
Whereas I have no grounds to criticise anyone, especially as I feel that I am part of the 99% (Apart from the OS mods, I suppose, which have been stagnant for like, a year), it's clear that BnS and it's wider communities just *don't* have the content creators.

While you can go into the reasoning etc, it's mainly apathy I suppose. If a community is based around a never evolving game, you can't expect people to support and push for development, as they don't care. They just want their play-on-a-toaster. I'm by no means a BnS veteran. Just a interested person. It would be *amazing* to see 64 player AoS/ChOs (Chamelon's OS Fork)/IB matches, portals, larger maps etc.... but hey.

The only development I see here is Chameleon's efforts. I wish more than 15 people would play IB!
LeCom

There's also development on IB. If I actually had servers and players, I would continue developing my tank/WW2 and kraken scripts (tho' players are not an issue for kraken because it can be played alone very well).
But, what do you expect. More people? For that we need something to play, either good AoS servers or IB. More devs? They need a motivation, aka people. Content creators? They would want a new engine with more possibilities.
I would say the future belongs to IB, but development is very slow, as things are very hard to do. Chameleon's OS doesn't feel like a long term thing to me, more something like topenspades, but we'll see.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Warp wrote:
They just want their play-on-a-toaster. I'm by no means a BnS veteran. Just a interested person. It would be *amazing* to see 64 player AoS/ChOs (Chamelon's OS Fork)
Powerthirst Edition is a thing. That has 64 player support. One of the few actual mods for AoS that isn't merely a skin... although it has a slightly extended protocol so you'll need a particular fork for it.

The challenge of course is getting 64 players for it. Iceball peaked at 19, I think, and that was during an event.

(The bonus is you can make the guns not suck)
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

In my truly personal option, my ultimate "Final Form" of AoS would be OS with Powerthirst Support, that has the features of IB and the support of the community.

Mari_kiri, what you say about 19 people is completly right. No need for 64 if we can't even muster 32! I don't know, I keep on thinking and posting that AoS's death is near. But it isn't evidently, I can always find full servers.

Maybe, BnS should endorse and support a actively developed client. Instead of you know, saying nothing. Apparently the Mods are alive, but I don't see too much evidence of that. Only when BnS starts pointing to a new client will noobs start using it. They obviously won't bother reading this.

lets autoban [BR] in IB pls thanks grease /s
LeCom

Then ask izzy to put a 0.75-compatible IB version onto the download page. I remember there was an IB script for connecting to AoS servers.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

The simple thing we have to is to get people to play,
and to do that, we need to get people to share.

If you really care about these games then share the links for them with friends and other people.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

LeCom wrote:
I remember there was an IB script for connecting to AoS servers.
It was an incomplete reimplementation that you can finish off whenever you feel like it: https://github.com/iamgreaser/pysnip/tr ... er/iceball

There's two ways to run it. One is using a tool I wrote called aostun which lets you plug an Iceball client into an AoS server, but also feeds necessary files into Iceball. For obvious reasons I have not released this, and will not release it.

The other way is using that pysnip fork which houses those Iceball files.

Seeing as I hate 0.75 specifically with a passion, and have given up trying to lead 0.75 in a direction where you can actually hit the side of a barn, I'm not finishing that. But if someone is actually going to step forward and have a go I can definitely give you a few pointers.

But yeah, while there's definitely a codebase for Iceball to connect to 0.75 servers, the solution I've provided is something that needs to be adopted by 0.75 servers.

Or less shittily, 0.76 servers.
25 posts Page 2 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Iceball”