We need a new modding software

Iceball is a moddable, open source, cross-platform engine and game inspired by AoS Classic. Created by GreaseMonkey.
Incompatible with PySnip/pyspades-based AoS Classic 0.75/0.76 servers.
6 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

I'm sick of using the one that is with iceball. It's pretty hard. Anyone else propose we make a new one? and when?
rakiru
Coder
Coder

I assume by "mod" you mean models? You can use KV6s if you want, so you can use the ever-so-slightly less shit Slab6.

Also, instead of "proposing" things, how about you actually make something? People have been proposing things in this community for years, and none of it ever actually happens. This goes for life in general: if you want to see something done, go out and do it.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

bloodfox wrote:
I'm sick of using the one that is with iceball. It's pretty hard. Anyone else propose we make a new one? and when?
I suggest you use:

a) Slab6
b) VoxelShop
c) MagicaVoxel

aaand...

d) Qubicle Contructor 2 (Free Trial may be OK for you, otherwise it's $40USD or £28.)
LeCom

IIRC, IceBall's official main model format switched to KV6. Therefore, I recommend SLAB6 for simple drawing, and VoxelShop for advanced stuff.
rakiru wrote:
I assume by "mod" you mean models? You can use KV6s if you want, so you can use the ever-so-slightly less shit Slab6.

Also, instead of "proposing" things, how about you actually make something? People have been proposing things in this community for years, and none of it ever actually happens. This goes for life in general: if you want to see something done, go out and do it.
Not everybody is good enough at programming. In general, this DIY attitude won't get us far.
rakiru
Coder
Coder

LeCom wrote:
Not everybody is good enough at programming. In general, this DIY attitude won't get us far.
Indeed, they're not. However, what I said doesn't only apply to programming. You only have to look at the hundreds of threads about Ace of Spades dying and "WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW!", with plenty of people chipping in ideas, but barely anyone actually puts any effort into realising them.

As for Iceball-specific feedback, it's still in development, so rough-edges should be expected. The kind of feedback that is useful is on actually how to improve something, not just pointing at something that hasn't been given much attention and saying "that's shit; someone should make it less shit". For example, your comments earlier about babel - saying AoS babel could be improved wasn't very helpful, but actually detailing the issues and possible solutions came up with a few good ideas that could greatly improve it.

In general, the "someone should do something! but not me" attitude won't get us far either.
LeCom

rakiru wrote:
LeCom wrote:
Indeed, they're not. However, what I said doesn't only apply to programming. You only have to look at the hundreds of threads about Ace of Spades dying and "WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW!", with plenty of people chipping in ideas, but barely anyone actually puts any effort into realising them.

As for Iceball-specific feedback, it's still in development, so rough-edges should be expected. The kind of feedback that is useful is on actually how to improve something, not just pointing at something that hasn't been given much attention and saying "that's shit; someone should make it less shit". For example, your comments earlier about babel - saying AoS babel could be improved wasn't very helpful, but actually detailing the issues and possible solutions came up with a few good ideas that could greatly improve it.

In general, the "someone should do something! but not me" attitude won't get us far either.
People are lazy fucks, they think like that, as you already have noticed in BnS. They also can simply leave.
If you're creative, you can always figure out a way to fix problems.
6 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Iceball”