"WWII"

The level/layout/play area.
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Lelue
Mapper
Mapper

Hankey asked me for something like that. in the north is a high mountain (44Blocks i think) in the south is a forrest where the infantery found 3 camps... they are hart to see, but blue found it and send 4 planes to it. Blue wants to protect their hometown with big guns called Hobitzer and they destroyed the bridge [So before the fight can start every team should build a small bridge].

Picture :

Downloadlink :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6d2ol ... 7/WWII.vxl
Xtra

Nice!
Thorean
League Participant
League Participant

Hi, LeLue, this is a total n00b question, but how do you make maps for AOS? What software do you use?
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

It's not bad. You've got the basic gist of map-making, but you need to refine your composition.

• The map is far too flat in most places. The sudden rises and falls look odd and the fact they're a different colour just looks weird.
  • The map border doesn't tile nicely, even where it could have easily (such as the river). While it doesn't affect the gameplay, it's a bit jarring to see an ugly map border.
  • The main fighting area is far too open. There is too little cover. Once you're at the hills, it's fine, but if you're caught between them then there's nowhere to hide.
  • The town probably should've been more central and pivotal to the map. Hiding it in the corner where little-to-no action will take place means it's a wasted opportunity. If it was larger and more in the middle, then it could've provided defensive and offensive opportunities, by creating things to hide in/behind.
  • The last point, and it's the main one in my eyes - the map looks completely unbalanced. Whichever team spawns near the town can sneak through the forest or tunnel through the hill right into the other team's spawn. The other team has no large amount of cover once they cross the river, especially on the forest side. While I am pleased that you've made an asymmetrical map rather than taking the lazy way out and making one half then mirroring it, you have to try and guess how it will be played by each team and make sure to keep a good balance.
Anyway, keep on trying, and don't take these criticisms to heart. As I've said, you've already got the basics down which is further than most people get. There's just a lot more to it than people realise.

(Also, crediting people for using their models would be nice!)

Also;
Lelue wrote:
Hobitzer
Lelue
Mapper
Mapper

Thanks for the feedback Influx, but I think its boring to play a map which is mirrored and that back, that wouldn`t look good as well... And you talked about the colors : You are right, but I am trying out the "height filler" in blockman, and I still need some training with this feature ;)
Lelue
Mapper
Mapper

I will make a New Version .
Lelue
Mapper
Mapper

I overworked WWII ... here it is.

Picture:

Downloadlink:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2gsza ... ldWar2.vxl
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

now make world war 3 please
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

jdrew wrote:
now make world war 3 please
Do you mean: America is now a nuclear wasteland?
CommieBuffalo
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

Nice
@jdrew rather have WWI tho
Lostmotel
League Participant
League Participant

wow, must've taken a while to insert all these trees
looks nice, although you forgot make the borders of the map look smooth as suggested by Influx Blue_Tongue
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

That looks a lot more balanced, nice to see you took my comments on board. The map-tiling thing is probably the least important thing I listed so I wouldn't worry about it.

The terrain in the main area is still very, very flat (even flatter than before) and those walls will be easily griefable. It means that players will have to buid their own cover, which can work in some cases, but it's not a reliable method since it depends on the type of people playing it at the time.

Also, I've merged both your topics as I don't see any point having 2 threads for the same map.
Lelue
Mapper
Mapper

Okay, but in goon assault / pinpoint etc, they have to build Cover too ;) anyway the Tanks and turrets are cover too.
@Influx Sorry that I couldnt change everything you wanted to See, but i can see that you were right, Thanks man !

Ps : Wasnt it up to the infantery to Win a war ?
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Maps”