Yubacore

The level/layout/play area.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Lostmotel
League Participant
League Participant

So here it is! My first babel map which was entirely created with GIMP (well, at least terrain wise of course). I guess it's best to talk about this map whilst showing some screenshots here.
Spoiler:
spawn, middle:
You usually spawn on the road, in rare cases also on one of the power poles on the side. The road is completely flat, the cars can offer at least some cover and help you getting a tower started. The ditches on both sides can be used to sneak up to the enemy or attack enemies on the sides while staying covered. Note that the ditches mark the first solid map layer and the road is only 3 block layers higher, so you will only be able to dig 2 block high tunnels through the road.

spawn, south:
The south side on both maps offer cover for attackers to destroy the enemies tower while hiding in the wood. of course, the forest can be taken down quite easily especially since most of the trees trunks are only 1x1 blocks thick. I tried to minimize the amount of remaining leaves once the forest is taken down and although I'm still not quite satisfied with it, I don't think it will affect the gameplay too much in any way.
In addition I added some sort of bamboo field behind the spawns. I guess it could be used for spawncamping, although I haven't seen anyone using it to an extend where it would be problematic so far.

middle, south:
here's where both sides start to differ: blue has an empty grass field surrounded by a fence ( I didn't know how to build goats Blue_Crying ), while green has a mill (made by SIMOX) both parts of the maps are separated through a river.

spawn, north: In the north you will find yourself on a more or less harvested field surrounded by a forest behind you and a mountain in front of you. I intended this side to be contrasting with south side; here it will be much harder to get to the enemies spawn or even behind since you have to cross this field - an area which can easily be overviewed by the enemy.

middle, north:
2 houses and hedges will allow you to take cover here and perhaps shoot some enemies comming from the middle. You can't actually break down any tower from there and it will be hard to find shelter on the field without being seen.

middle, far north:
the mountain can be used as a rather remote way to get around the map without having too much contact with the enemy (although I have to say that some players still seem to be attracted to it like a magnet despite its distance from the middle of the map), but also as a sort of "natural babel tower" from which you can view the babel platform and possibly also interfere with enemies who are trying to grab the intel.
Credit for the terrain goes partly to Influx; a large portion of the terrain was created following his guidelines in his tutorials.
The mill on the map was created by SIMOX. I'd also like to thank ei8htx for putting the map on the aloha babel server for testing.

Download: http://aoshacks.com/map/158/
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

simply amazing
MR.BadAiming
Deuced Up

i love everything about it
scrawl
Veterans
Veterans

Great job!
Lostmotel
League Participant
League Participant

thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Are there any terrain colors/color progressions you'd like to see in the future in one of my maps?
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Darker colors by water that slowly become brighter as you move inland.
Lostmotel
League Participant
League Participant

Jdrew wrote:
Darker colors by water that slowly become brighter as you move inland.
hmm yeah, looking at most island maps there seems to be a tendency to begin with bright (moslty sandy) colors. I will keep that in mind.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Maps”