[MAP] City of Chicago - steam conversion

The level/layout/play area.
13 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

City of Chicago
This is a conversion of City of Chicago from the AoS steam version. The map took me a lot while then expected. I will admit to not really doing any work. I pretty much just imported the map into qubicle, added some water, then exported it. The thing is that when I import or deal with large models in qubicle the FPS drops from 60+ to around 5. It is hard to move models with 5 FPS and it is very annoying too. The reason some of the buildings is smaller is because Jagex maps are 256 voxels tall but Voxlap's maps are only 64 voxels tall. Some of the Jagex models were also in the 70s-80s in height.

City of Chicago is an urban based map. The whole map is very well deigned. It might even be one of the best maps I have ever seen. In the middle you have a small urban town with power lines and trip wires stretching across the buildings. You can walk across most buildings too. Sadly most sky scrappers were cut down a bit though they still have a little bit of a roof. To the south of the city you have a small park allowing for terrain based cover. In the mid north you have a railroad with two trains on it. The railroad stretches all the way accost the map and even goes into the northern section of the map. Using the railroad is a great way to get around. Finally in the north there is a small dock area with shipping containers and the end of the rail road. Overall a great map for CTF,KOTH,TOW,TC,and babel.

Pictures:
Spoiler:
new version

original
Download:
Spoiler:
http://aceofspadeswiki.info/wiki/City_of_Chicago
*I did not make the map at all I am just posting it because I thought it was really fun
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Jdrew wrote:
City of Chicago
This is a conversion of City of Chicago from the AoS steam version. The map took me a lot while then expected. I will admit to not really doing any work. I pretty much just imported the map into qubicle, added some water, then exported it. The thing is that when I import or deal with large models in qubicle the FPS drops from 60+ to around 5. It is hard to move models with 5 FPS and it is very annoying too. The reason some of the buildings is smaller is because Jagex maps are 256 voxels tall but Voxlap's maps are only 64 voxels tall. Some of the Jagex models were also in the 70s-80s in height.

City of Chicago is an urban based map. The whole map is very well deigned. It might even be one of the best maps I have ever seen. In the middle you have a small urban town with power lines and trip wires stretching across the buildings. You can walk across most buildings too. Sadly most sky scrappers were cut down a bit though they still have a little bit of a roof. To the south of the city you have a small park allowing for terrain based cover. In the mid north you have a railroad with two trains on it. The railroad stretches all the way accost the map and even goes into the northern section of the map. Using the railroad is a great way to get around. Finally in the north there is a small dock area with shipping containers and the end of the rail road. Overall a great map for CTF,KOTH,TOW,TC,and babel.

Pictures:
Spoiler:
new version

original
Download:
Spoiler:
http://aceofspadeswiki.info/wiki/City_of_Chicago
*I did not make the map at all I am just posting it because I thought it was really fun
I am sure JaGex does not want their maps posted on the Build and Shoot forums.
I think this wasn't their best map but this is still better than the ripoff of hamburg/(London).
Will you convert Mayan Jungle?
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

So let me get this straight. You begin with chastising me saying that Jagex wouldn't want their maps on here. Then After that say it is better then dany0's map. You finally end with requesting me to convert Mayan Jungle.

The answer is no, as I said the conversation can take up to several days as I do not even have 10 FPS when I convert the maps. It is very hard to get the maps right. I have only been able to convert one other map in the past week, it was the Urban map template. I may end up doing it but I won't accept your request as it takes too long and I am working on other maps, sorry.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Jdrew wrote:
So let me get this straight. You begin with chastising me saying that Jagex wouldn't want their maps on here. Then After that say it is better then dany0's map. You finally end with requesting me to convert Mayan Jungle.

The answer is no, as I said the conversation can take up to several days as I do not even have 10 FPS when I convert the maps. It is very hard to get the maps right. I have only been able to convert one other map in the past week, it was the Urban map template. I may end up doing it but I won't accept your request as it takes too long and I am working on other maps, sorry.
Why did you describe the structure of my last post?
I didn't ask for you to covert it.; I asked will you (Will you eventually) convert it?
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

maybe
IAmYourFriend
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So, did you check the license of the Jagex game files? Ask for permission from Jagex or the author to use and publish their work? Or is this actually pirated?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

This map is a good sniping map. But hm, you might be caught in the act of pirating-then again, they are so fricking lazy that they won't go on here. (jagex)
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

I did not contact Jagex at all simply convert the map for the voxlap version. Jagex themselves refuse to remove maps from the voxlap version that were illegally put into the steam version by workshop users so this is basically my way of payback. It really isn't that big of a deal as it is just a map, there are also many changes to the map due to height restraints. Although I should have contacted them the map is not the same as in the steam version.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

True true. I will use this map for my server called Blood server
IAmYourFriend
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Lowering the height of the map doesn't make their work yours.

On a more general note, i believe that people who publish their own work in these subsections of the forum should be able to rely on that ownership rights or licences will be respected here. Posting (or allowing the posting of) pirated files doesn't send that message.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

meh, its not like Jagex cares
nathanput123
Deuce

Jdrew wrote:

Johnny99
Deuce

Wed May 28, 2014 8:10 pmJdrew wrote:
I did not contact Jagex at all simply convert the map for the voxlap version. Jagex themselves refuse to remove maps from the voxlap version that were illegally put into the steam version by workshop users so this is basically my way of payback. It really isn't that big of a deal as it is just a map, there are also many changes to the map due to height restraints. Although I should have contacted them the map is not the same as in the steam version.
How did you convert the map?
13 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Maps”