WIP M1903 Springfield

Released modifications for the OpenSpades client.
Forum rules
Release, download, and praise or criticize completed modifications. For installation and creation help, please visit the OpenSpades general discussion forum.
10 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
tobi9sc
Modder
Modder

So I challenged myself today to make something since I haven't created a mod for a long time (almost 1 year, idk). This is what I came up with:
Spoiler:
reference picture:
Spoiler:
Here's the reworked one:
Changes are obvious and I didn't add the barrel yet because I might need to adjust the length in the near future.

comparison -
prev. model and the reworked
Last edited by tobi9sc on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Well IMHO...
Your other mods are average/above-average.
But this is a bit outstanding. The huge scale of model (I say it's too detailed), the amount of detail...
It isn't flawless though. Some individual parts have wrong scale, bad proportions. It will look awful on OpenGL, but awesome on Software renderer, because it has so much detail. Just honestly, too much work and too little effect.

Why detail and OpenGL don't mix?
Because there is a lot of difference between shaded walls of blocks and lighted walls of blocks. Isn't too pleasant for the eye. On second thought, you might still succeed, because it isn't that much detailed, just be careful to not over-do it.

Btw, I am familiar with scripts if you get stuck and there's OpenSpades tutorials.
tobi9sc
Modder
Modder

Well IMHO...
Your other mods are average/above-average.
But this is a bit outstanding. The huge scale of model (I say it's too detailed), the amount of detail...
It isn't flawless though. Some individual parts have wrong scale, bad proportions. It will look awful on OpenGL, but awesome on Software renderer, because it has so much detail. Just honestly, too much work and too little effect.
Thank you. I'm fixing those parts right now. Anyway, I can't really tell the difference when using OpenGL and software renderer (well it's just me). Again, thank you.
On second thought, you might still succeed, because it isn't that much detailed, just be careful to not over-do it.
Yeah, hope so.
Btw, I am familiar with scripts if you get stuck and there's OpenSpades tutorials.
A bolt action and/or a different reload animation will be good for this one, but I don't even have basic knowledge about c++ or any programming language. But one question, is it possible to make a bolt action animation between every shot?
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

tobi9sc wrote:
Thank you. I'm fixing those parts right now.
Take a look at this from "OpenSpades tutorials" in my signature - this is how I've done my most recent work:
Making realistic models:
OpenSpades realistic scale .odt - 2016.01.14
OpenSpades realistic scale .pdf - 2016.01.14
tobi9sc wrote:
Anyway, I can't really tell the difference when using OpenGL and software renderer (well it's just me).
OpenGL and Software look different, because they use different methods to render (draw on screen) the cubes.
OpenGL (default cubes) - blocky:
Software (bounded cubes) - smooth:
Do you see that OpenGL is blocky and Software is smooth? If you have a very detailed model, OpenGL looks blocky anyway, but Software (bounded cube) looks smooth.
A bolt action and/or a different reload animation will be good for this one, but I don't even have basic knowledge about c++ or any programming language. But one question, is it possible to make a bolt action animation between every shot?
Yes it is possible and I've done it. But you have only 0.5 seconds to cycle the bolt, so the animation isn't going to be pretty. This game seriously needs a new protocol with some fresh weapons.
Bolt action rifle - download file "Bolt Action ANIM.zip".

Oh and another thing: don't make model z-axis (height) more than 64 blocks, Openspades will reject the model if you do.
tobi9sc
Modder
Modder

tobi9sc wrote:
Thank you. I'm fixing those parts right now.
Take a look at this from "OpenSpades tutorials" in my signature - this is how I've done my most recent work:
Making realistic models:
OpenSpades realistic scale .odt - 2016.01.14
OpenSpades realistic scale .pdf - 2016.01.14
I'll definitely check those out.
tobi9sc wrote:
Anyway, I can't really tell the difference when using OpenGL and software renderer (well it's just me).
OpenGL and Software look different, because they use different methods to render (draw on screen) the cubes.
OpenGL (default cubes) - blocky:
Software (bounded cubes) - smooth:
Do you see that OpenGL is blocky and Software is smooth? If you have a very detailed model, OpenGL looks blocky anyway, but Software (bounded cube) looks smooth.
Ohhh, I see it now.
Yes it is possible and I've done it. But you have only 0.5 seconds to cycle the bolt, so the animation isn't going to be pretty. This game seriously needs a new protocol with some fresh weapons.
Bolt action rifle - download file "Bolt Action ANIM.zip".
I mean this:
Oh and another thing: don't make model z-axis (height) more than 64 blocks, Openspades will reject the model if you do.
I am able to test the model ingame, so I think the model is fine.

updated the op for the rework
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

the first model looked too detailed, but I like how you fixed up the barrel more. Keep it up :)
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

tobi9sc wrote:
I mean this:
Yeah, we are talking about the same thing. My animation isn't smooth or good looking, but it is a basic bolt-action animation, so you might want to check out the script.
tobi9sc wrote:
updated the op for the rework
Gun looks a lot better. Too bad you removed IRL weapon image, but I can say that it is way closer now.

I'd love to make animation script for this rifle, but my computer melted (so I don't have the tools to do that), plus I am working on some projects of my own.
tobi9sc
Modder
Modder

Yeah, we are talking about the same thing. My animation isn't smooth or good looking, but it is a basic bolt-action animation, so you might want to check out the script.
I already did and didn't understand anything. Maybe i'll watch some tutorials sometimes.
Gun looks a lot better. Too bad you removed IRL weapon image, but I can say that it is way closer now.
Thanks. Added btw.
I'd love to make animation script for this rifle, but my computer melted (so I don't have the tools to do that), plus I am working on some projects of my own.
YES PLEASE!!! oh, that sucks :/
Fluffeh Panda
Deuced Up

Is there a download link to this? I don't see it anywhere
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

This thread is called "WIP M1903 Springfield", "W.I.P." means Work In Progress. You should check this after a month or even two, making good mods isn't easy.
10 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades MODs”