Paratrooper's M4 Magpul w/ Side Charging Mod

Released modifications for the OpenSpades client.
Forum rules
Release, download, and praise or criticize completed modifications. For installation and creation help, please visit the OpenSpades general discussion forum.
84 posts Page 2 of 6 First unread post
Evergreen
Deuced Up

Paratrooper wrote:
Updated as of 1/13/15

My first mod for OpenSpades: An Magpul M4 with a side-charging upper receiver. Complete with sounds (compiled from this website), animations, and killfeed icon.
SideView.png
Video:
Get it here.
VERY nice mod! Love the look of it. Stylized slightly to fit the blocks and game look, but very easy to tell what it is just by looking at it. Incredibly accurate. I especially love the stock on it. Great job, and the animations are superb. Can't wait to see what else you do :)
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

We can go to this thread and keep your mod thread cleaner a bit: http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=12604
I tried following steps from here: https://github.com/yvt/openspades
I am using cmake-3.0.0 and I have MS Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011, because MS Visual Studio 2013 Express (which is required in the tutorial) isn't available for Windows XP. I get error that my C compiler isn't good:
Code: Select all
The C compiler identification is unknown
The CXX compiler identification is unknown
Check for working C compiler: E:/Catalina/bin/catopt_0.exe
Check for working C compiler: E:/Catalina/bin/catopt_0.exe -- broken
CMake Error at E:/cmake-3.0.0-win32-x86/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:61 (message):
  The C compiler "E:/Catalina/bin/catopt_0.exe" is not
  able to compile a simple test program.
So I need C++ and C compilers and I have no idea where should I get those that would fit.
Thanks
Paratrooper
Modder
Modder

Releasing a revamped prototype:
Some notes:
  • *This will flood your console with errors since I haven't gotten rid of that float array.
    *The reflex sight's reticle glitches out while reloading and aiming.
    *Not a final producs
I won't be making more guns until I have this one script down.

Download the prototype here.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Looks awesome. I've always wanted to do a muzzle flash (with image, not .kv6), but I've been too lazy and now you're the first one who's done it :)
What about a shotgun? I did a shotgun with animations, but I believe that you can do better. Maybe a muzzle-loaded, hand-held cannon for "The Kraken" gamemode?...
These are great, unique mods. Keep on doing them!
Paratrooper
Modder
Modder

Overhauled the muzzle flash to look better.
Oh, and thanks for your help and support :) The last thing on my list is weapon sway and a better reload animation.
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

Really nice, Paratrooper. Looking forward to the final version!
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Whew! Just when I thought this community is finished off, you popped out of nowhere.
Welcome back Paratrooper, former master of .png sights. We missed you.

And that is one helluva hot M4! Too bad I can't run OpenSpades :P
madsnark
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Really nice stuff.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Why hallway in the video is so dark? Is this mod or vanilla lighting effects?
I love how it sways to side when strafing. Weapon has a lot of detail, but still fits in the game and doesn't feel too blocky.
10/10
madsnark
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Chameleon wrote:
Why hallway in the video is so dark? Is this mod or vanilla lighting effects?
Ambient occlusion
Hot Dog
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

Good lord this is amazing. My only complaint is the sounds you used make it somewhat difficult to pinpoint where someone is firing from.
Paratrooper
Modder
Modder

Here's a preview of what my revision should look like in slab6:
shot_side.png
shot_side.png (6.39 KiB) Viewed 8408 times
shot_oblique.png
shot_oblique.png (15.88 KiB) Viewed 8408 times
I drop the olive drab thing, changed the stock, and added a vertical grip. Hopefully I can make some sort of final release by the end of this week.

Any suggestions on the model?
FoobyDude
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Paratrooper wrote:
Here's a preview of what my revision should look like in slab6:

-snip snip-

I drop the olive drab thing, changed the stock, and added a vertical grip. Hopefully I can make some sort of final release by the end of this week.

Any suggestions on the model?
I love the model, Everythings looks in good proportion, but in my opinion I'd choose an Adjustable stock over a fixed one, it just looks better to me.
Constructive Criticism :D
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Well Paratrooper knows how to use settings to influence model behavior... So he might add the possibility to change this in game
Paratrooper
Modder
Modder

Chameleon wrote:
Well Paratrooper knows how to use settings to influence model behavior... So he might add the possibility to change this in game
I've though about swappable parts, but I'm kinda afraid of modifying Preferences.as because it might conflict with other mods. I would have to package the file in a separate .pak (which would override other mods which also want to modify that file), or I might have to tell users to manually add lines of code into the file.

It is possible to modify configurations through chat:
2015-02-12_00-10-02.png
2015-02-12_00-10-02.png (25.94 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
While it makes swapping parts less user-friendly, it does make mods self-contained.

Overall, the (somewhat insignificant) side-effect of having custom configurations is that they linger even after the mod is removed (it still stays in SPConfig.cfg unless manually removed). On the upside, after re-installing the mod, settings will still stay.
84 posts Page 2 of 6 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades MODs”