Mortars! [v1.18]

Intended for use on live public servers.
21 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

Mortars. It's been something that me and a fair few other people would like to see in this game. Well, now they are.

Packaged in the download is the mortar script and modified versions of Market Garden, Bocage, Summer Fields, Oasis and Alpine.

Download Mortars Script v1.18

What's New in v1.18 Video

Latest Release:

-v1.18-

- Spectate where the mortar round will fall.
- Greatly reduced the number of available commands, replaced most of the existing ones with spade functionality.
- Made all rounds slightly more accurate, slightly reduced range of airburst rounds.
- Updated all maps to follow the new mortar layout standard.
- Removed the map Normandie, replaced with the map Bocage.

Earlier Releases:
Spoiler:
-v1.151-

- Fixed handling of map-changing. Many thanks to hompy for pointing this out.

-v1.15-

- Fixed bug where users could still destroy blocks from the no-build zone around a mortar with a grenade
- Added satchel charges. You spawn with 0 and must get them from the tent. You must have a satchel to destroy a mortar. It has a 5 second fuse after it's placed, can be defused by enemies and kills people near it when it explodes.
- Fixed support for being awarded rounds when capping the intel.
- Added versions of Oasis and Alpine with mortars set up.

Many thanks to EggPlant and leuhredbul for helping test this release.

-v1.1-

- Fixed bug where users could still place blocks on mortars and in the no-building zone around mortars using right-click
- Fixed bug where the number of blocks shown that a player has client-side didn't reflect the server's number, causing players to attempt to place blocks which didn't appear.
- Fixed players being able to fire rounds out of the map which could crash the server.
- Added the ability to fire/destroy mortars using the spade's alternative fire.
- Improved airburst strength, now requires 2 rounds to fire.

-v1.091-

- Fixed crash on map change
- Added versions of my maps Normandie and Summer Fields that have been set up with mortars

-v1.09-

- Bunker-buster rounds and heavy bunker-busters changed dramatically. Now they can blast through one or two voxel layers before exploding. This means you still get the same-sized crater from ground impacts, but in structures with a lot of empty space inside (ie buildings), this means they can destroy large amounts of it. Also, they produce a much larger crater than previously and are now very deadly.
- Individual round-types now have their own accuracy and range - heavier ammo-types are more accurate but can't travel as far.
- Relocated all ammo-type data to one, easy-to-edit location, meaning you can edit things such as how high up the airburst explodes, how far through a building a bunker-buster can go, etc.
- Fixed individual player round tracking.
- Edited the /mammocheck command, so that admins can do /mammocheck <player name> and find out how many rounds they have.
- Edited all admin commands so they can be activated from the console - previously this wouldn't be allowed because if you weren't in-game, it would cause an error.
- With the help of Dick Roman and Articsledder, managed to catch some minor bugs to be squashed - trying to /use a mortar already being used by someone else wasn't displaying the correct text, and typing /mammo with no round type after it did the same. Neither resulted in a crash.

-v1.01-

- Fixed crash that occurs when a player dies by falling
- Fixed bug where players still get rewarded for killing themselves.
- Reset players score on map change
- When firing a mortar, the text saying the round is away now only displays when you're able to fire again.

-v1.0-

- Initial release

About Mortars!:
This script is very command-heavy so it's probably not be suitable for people with little to no comprehension of English. Rather than putting a grid reference and firing, I wanted a mortar script that requires a bit more skill to use, meaning that you require someone who's good at using them to man them to really be effective. You set the angles of traverse and elevation of the mortar and then fire. The traverse/elevation settings are persistant across each mortar, meaning if you've been firing at a target then jumped off it, another person can jump on and immediately begin shooting in the same location. The further away you fire, the less accurate your shots get, meaning you need to loose off a large bombardment to have a chance of hitting your target.

They don't have the range to reach the enemy's spawns, so there's no risk of being spawn killed by them. In the default script, you earn 5 rounds per kill, and require 5 kills minimum before you can use them. These come with 4 default types of ammo which you can select;

- Airburst: Explodes slightly above the ground so as to inflict maximum damage on infantry. Will also be the best to use on entrenched infantry. Doesn't damage the ground (but may damage nearby structures if it explodes near one)
- HE: The default round, does a fair amount of damage to infantry, and leaves a 3x3x1 crater.
- Bunker-buster: Good at blowing the roofs/sides off small bunkers and shelters for infantry to engage. Leaves a 3x3x2 crater.
- Heavy bunker-buster: Can kill people in bunkers with a 1 voxel thick roof. Leaves a 3x3x3 crater.

The different types of ammo cost different amounts of 'rounds' to be able to fire - this is primarily to stop the battlefield turning into swiss cheese quickly and leaving the more 'expensive' ammo for situations that call for it. Airburst and HE cost 1 round, Bunker-busters cost 2 rounds and Heavy bunker-busters require 3 rounds. These are all preliminary values and may need changing.

Commands:
/mhelp - shows the help file
/use - enters use mode for the mortar you're next to. This means only you can change values and fire it until you walk away from it, run out of rounds, are kicked from it by an admin or are killed. Can also repair destroyed mortars.
/me [x] - sets the mortar's elevation. [x] needs to be any whole number between 75 and 85. Lower angles fire further but are less accurate.
/mt [x] - sets the mortar's traverse. [x] needs to be any whole number between -45 and +45. 0 degrees is looking straight at the enemy's spawn area, -45 is 45 degrees to the left of that, and +45 is 45 degrees to the right.
/mammo [type] - sets the mortar's ammo type. [type] can be one of the following: "airburst", "he", "bb", "hbb"
/mammocheck - tells you how many rounds you have.
/check - allows you to check the elevation/traverse settings of any friendly mortar, whether you're using it or not.
/destroy - used on enemy mortars. If you can sneak in and disable them, they're unable to be used until a certain amount of time has passed, AND someone repairs them. Default time-span is 5 minutes.

Admin Commands:

/mortarkick [player] - if the player is in use mode, this kicks them off the mortar. Good for when people are wasting the asset by sitting in use mode and not doing anything, stopping legitimate users from using them.
/mortarban [player] - prevents a user from entering use mode on any friendly mortar. If they're currently using a mortar, they may need kicked off it as well.
/mortarunban [player] - allows a player previously banned from a mortar to use it again. Also, note that bans are not permenantly tracked and are bound to user's playernames, not IP's. Once the server goes down, the ban list is erased.
/mgive [x] [*player*] - gives [x] amount of mortar rounds to a player, or to yourself if there is no player entered. Using a negative number will take from a player (or yourself) instead.
/mammocheck [player] - Admin version of /mammocheck, can be used to check the amount of any player's rounds.

Known Bugs in v1.15:

- None for now. Let me know if you find any!

So, if you could let me know what works and what doesn't, that would be great. I've only been able to test in localhost playing against myself so I don't know what'll happen when other players are thrown into the mix. Also, if you've got any suggestions, or if you think I should change the values of some of my variables, don't hesitate to post.
Last edited by Influx on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:24 am, edited 24 times in total.
HoboHob
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Interesting... would like to see a world war one server with this.
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

Well, if the script proves popular enough, I might see if people who made maps that would suit this are willing to let me edit them to add mortars in.

There could also be a 'mortar war' map where everyone has their own mortar, which could also work like a target practice / training map to get a feel for how they work.
IceCream
Hoster
Hoster

Thanks Influx for this script.I would like to see a Server with this Script too...Its interesting ;)

Well..you make very good scripts. At first the Last Stand script and now this.

I hope you have more sucess with this script and the people like it, because im very sad that you quit supporting the Last Stand script Blue_Crying

with best wishes,

IceCraft
Sample
Deuced Up

could be done in the script to be bought weapons? $ 50 Grenade, SMG - $ 500 Kill - $ 25, etc..?
would play on such a server 24/7: D

sorry 4 my english
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

IceCraft wrote:
Thanks Influx for this script.I would like to see a Server with this Script too...Its interesting ;)

Well..you make very good scripts. At first the Last Stand script and now this.

I hope you have more sucess with this script and the people like it, because im very sad that you quit supporting the Last Stand script Blue_Crying

with best wishes,

IceCraft
Well, if I see a server hosting this script I'll be sure to jump in and test it out properly. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with it, because, as I've said, I've only been able to test this with myself, which doesn't replicate proper server activity.

I didn't quit supporting Last Stand, the only reason I stopped updating it is because I don't have my own private server any more, which means I can't test it myself. I think it may have been a bit too ambitious for a first project, though, so I might go back to it when I'm a bit better at coding.
Sample wrote:
could be done in the script to be bought weapons? $ 50 Grenade, SMG - $ 500 Kill - $ 25, etc..?
would play on such a server 24/7: D

sorry 4 my english
That is possible with a script, but I don't think adding it to this script would really suit the theme of it. It would be better suited to being its own script that server hosters can add or remove without affecting anything else they'd rather not install/would prefer to keep on their server.
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

The script has been updated to v1.09, featuring some things I'm very pleased with (such as the mortars being able to penetrate through roofs and such), and some things that really needed doing. Check the changelog in the first post if you really care.
Venator
League Participant
League Participant

Wow awesome script mate :D
TheSifodias
Modder
Modder

I'd just like to say that the mortar script should be combined with the markers scripts in some way. Here's my idea.

Normal Markers: Enemy spotted at C3!
Markers with Mortars: Enemy spotted at C3! Elevation _____ , traverse _______ .

This way, a skilled mortar person can work with cooperative players to create a defense system. It would also create a need for possible spotters.

Also, I kinda think that the air burst mortar need some sort of upgrade, with a larger area.
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

Venator wrote:
Wow awesome script mate :D
Thanks!
TheSifodias wrote:
I'd just like to say that the mortar script should be combined with the markers scripts in some way. Here's my idea.

Normal Markers: Enemy spotted at C3!
Markers with Mortars: Enemy spotted at C3! Elevation _____ , traverse _______ .

This way, a skilled mortar person can work with cooperative players to create a defense system. It would also create a need for possible spotters.

Also, I kinda think that the air burst mortar need some sort of upgrade, with a larger area.
While I certainly like that idea, it could cause problems simply because individual mortars would require a different elevation/traverse to reach a certain area. They could possibly be out of reach for some mortars as well. That would require checking whether a point is in range for a mortar, what settings would be required to reach it, then checking to see if anyone's using the mortars, then send them a personalised version of that message.

I'll look into upgrading the airburst round as well, but I may need to bump up its 'price' if it becomes too deadly.
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I sort of understand how mortars are placed on a map. The placement of them are defined in the map.txt and the visual is in the map. I just don't understand the difference between "left mortar" and "right mortar"
Prune
Deuced Up

sniff sniff*** thank you man, adding new features to the game makes me smile. I would like to thank all those code writers, and all those involved in making new things with the game. you guys rule. sharing code, sharing life! I guess the open source comradeship is something beyond words. bless the net and you guys.

Blue_Crying Green_Crying Blue_Happy3 Green_Happy3
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

10se1ucgo wrote:
I sort of understand how mortars are placed on a map. The placement of them are defined in the map.txt and the visual is in the map. I just don't understand the difference between "left mortar" and "right mortar"
left_mortar contains the locations of all the mortars on the left side of the map, where blues spawn by default.
right_mortar contains the locations for the mortars on the right side of the map, in green's default spawn.

The location entered is the block that is 2 voxels up from the base (the top of the mortars I make, but it will be possible to make mortars that are a bigger size than a 1x2 column).
Prune wrote:
sniff sniff*** thank you man, adding new features to the game makes me smile. I would like to thank all those code writers, and all those involved in making new things with the game. you guys rule. sharing code, sharing life! I guess the open source comradeship is something beyond words. bless the net and you guys.

Blue_Crying Green_Crying Blue_Happy3 Green_Happy3
Thanks - the power for to implement any feature we like will always be something the commercial version lacks, due to Jagex's mollycoddling attitude. If we're to attract more players, we have to play to our strengths, the biggest of which is customisation.

As long as there are people playing, there will be people creating new content, and I prefer the idea of a community sustaining itself over the idea of a community being ruled by an outside source (Jagex, in this example).
Sadie
Deuce

Influx wrote:
....As long as there are people playing, there will be people creating new content, and I prefer the idea of a community sustaining itself over the idea of a community being ruled by an outside source (Jagex, in this example).
Ding! Ding! Ding! There's the winner people!
CraftDinur
Deuced Up

i've been trying to build some prebuilt mortars on my maps and i have a few questions:
  • what's the difference between left and right mortars? are they just the mortars on certain sides of the map and if so, does it matter if i switch left and right mortars?
  • is the "z" value the block underneath the mortar?
  • does the mortar shoot in the direction facing the ammo types?
other than that, they seem to work fine on localhost when i use a pre-built map like marketgarden. still find them a little complex for my taste but i bet there's someone out there who could use these quite well.
21 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Completed Releases”