TrueClip

Intended for use on live public servers.
11 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

This is a script that was inspired by the script "realclip" from leif_the_head (found in this topic)

It enables players to have realistic-acting clips for their weapons. Instead of just taking x amount of bullets from the stock to fill the clip when a player reloads, this script remembers how many bullets there were in the old clip, and, at some point, the player will reload that very clip back in.

The script only affects rifles and SMG's, as the shotguns in this game do not use magazines. It should also be compatible with scripts that alter the default ammo values, but I haven't tested it.

Download:
http://pastebin.com/pjyNRTss

Changelog:
-v1.01
- added clean-up code for when a player disconnects.

To install:
  • Copy and paste the pastebin into a notepad document
  • Save as "trueclip.py" to your PySnip/PySpades scripts folder
  • Add "trueclip" to the scripts list in your server's config.txt file
  • Play!
I have tested this on a local server, both 0.75 and 0.76 seem to be compaible with no issues, but if any do arise, please let me know.
Dr.Morphman
Scripter
Scripter

hah nice, i never expected someone to actualy read that one topic from before entirely
yet alone even write a script
thanks, it doesnt make my post feel so pointless now

too bad scripts like these never get implemented in public servers
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

Dr.Morphman wrote:
hah nice, i never expected someone to actualy read that one topic from before entirely
yet alone even write a script
thanks, it doesnt make my post feel so pointless now

too bad scripts like these never get implemented in public servers
I always like seeing what other people can come up with. I liked the idea of the script leif_the_head wrote, but I felt it could have been implemented a bit better, rather than just discarding the unused bullets (and giving a health bonus for reloading an empty gun), they go back into the stockpile to be used again.

It is a shame that most servers won't use scripts, but if even one server does, I won't feel like my effort has been wasted.
LeCom

Great idea. I suggest that slowly, bullets are transferred from clip to clip to form full and empty ones, but that would make it too complex I guess.
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

LeCom wrote:
Great idea. I suggest that slowly, bullets are transferred from clip to clip to form full and empty ones, but that would make it too complex I guess.
It wouldn't be too complex to make, but I like to try and add a bit of realism to the game, and bullets that magically move between clips isn't very realistic, and it basically will make it act more like the default AoS behaviour, which kind of defeats the point of the script.

This script makes AoS's reloading act similar to games like ArmA and Red Orchestra, and that's the way I want it to be.
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

This has to be one of my favorite new scripts, it's an awesome idea that has been implemented into the game perfectly. Definitely using this on my private servers.
Awesome job! (as usual) :P
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

Handles wrote:
This has to be one of my favorite new scripts, it's an awesome idea that has been implemented into the game perfectly. Definitely using this on my private servers.
Awesome job! (as usual) :P
Thanks! It's always nice to know your work is appreciated. I hope you have fun with it, and let me know how it works. It's not been tried in the wild yet, at least as far as I know.
LeCom

Influx wrote:
LeCom wrote:
It wouldn't be too complex to make, but I like to try and add a bit of realism to the game, and bullets that magically move between clips isn't very realistic, and it basically will make it act more like the default AoS behaviour, which kind of defeats the point of the script.

This script makes AoS's reloading act similar to games like ArmA and Red Orchestra, and that's the way I want it to be.
It would even be more realistic if you had to/could move bullets from clip to clip when you stay/wait/whatever. Also, the point is the fact that it goes slowly, so one can "prepare" for a battle, or sth, but not move bullets while fighting. But I see, that's kinda useless, if you only want to change the way reloading works. Your script can certainly change the gameplay of AoS a lot.

Also, if I understood it right, this results in several clips each with an different amount of bullets. I haven't tested it out yet, so I wonder whether players have any problems with not knowing how many bullets will be in the next clip?
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

LeCom wrote:
It would even be more realistic if you had to/could move bullets from clip to clip when you stay/wait/whatever. Also, the point is the fact that it goes slowly, so one can "prepare" for a battle, or sth, but not move bullets while fighting. But I see, that's kinda useless, if you only want to change the way reloading works. Your script can certainly change the gameplay of AoS a lot.

Also, if I understood it right, this results in several clips each with an different amount of bullets. I haven't tested it out yet, so I wonder whether players have any problems with not knowing how many bullets will be in the next clip?
I can see your argument, but for the average length of a life in AoS, I can't really see the benefits of it. Players won't often live long enough to really use such a feature. Besides, they have the tent, which automatically refills all your clips. Reloading an SMG to find you've only got 10 bullets left in it has the potential to create more stories ("oh man I reloaded and had 10 bullets left but there were 3 enemies in front of me so I threw a 'nade and killed 2 of them then shot the last one") than reloading an SMG to find you have 10 bullets in, so you move all your spare bullets into that clip to make a full one ("yeah there was 3 enemies in front of me so I unloaded a whole mag into them"). That could happen in vanilla gameplay regardless of this script.

The amount of bullets left in a clip will be the amount of bullets a player left in it when they swapped it out. This script picks the most full clip to reload, so if you reload your SMG to find you've got 5 bullets left, you know all your other clips have at most 5 bullets (and you also know you're in trouble!). It can change a player's mentality from reloading at every opportunity (I know - I do this!) and leaving themselves with a bunch of half-used clips, to making sure the mag is empty before reloading so they know when they reload that it'll be a fresh one.
LeCom

Influx wrote:
This script picks the most full clip to reload, so if you reload your SMG to find you've got 5 bullets left, you know all your other clips have at most 5 bullets (and you also know you're in trouble!). It can change a player's mentality from reloading at every opportunity (I know - I do this!) and leaving themselves with a bunch of half-used clips, to making sure the mag is empty before reloading so they know when they reload that it'll be a fresh one.
Yeah, it can change stuff a lot. People will think carefully whether or not they should go to a battle, instead of ramboing. This is a great improvement, but I'm not sure whether the average server admins like it.
Influx
Mapper
Mapper

LeCom wrote:
Yeah, it can change stuff a lot. People will think carefully whether or not they should go to a battle, instead of ramboing. This is a great improvement, but I'm not sure whether the average server admins like it.
Well I know a lot of the AoS player base favour a casual approach to the game, hence the popularity of the Arena game-mode and maps like Pinpoint, so it wouldn't surprise me if this doesn't make it onto many servers. Like I said before, though, even if one person uses it then I'll be happy.
11 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Completed Releases”