bigblock.py Every block is actually 8 sublocks

11 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

This script makes every block you place a 2x2x2 instead of a 1x1x1. This makes building faster so you can do more fighting and less building. It also makes bob-the-builders super happy :D.

New featuers include scaled up dig so left click dig takes out 2x2x2 = 8 blocks or right click dig which takes out 2x2x6 = 24 blocks. Grenades have been scaled up to and now take out a sphere with radius of 4.5 blocks! (which is actually pretty awesome) Also weapons fire now takes out a bigblock instead of little blocks.

It's now compatible with babel gamemode but will probably require that it's listed AFTER babel_script in your config.txt file, though I'm not sure if it matters.

I put a script option to turn off some of the features as they may remind some of the engineer in the Jagex version. OP digging can be toggled along with OP nades and OP weapons fire. Compatibility with paint and blockinfo have been added.

Seriously, jump on and try out a grenade.

Try it out at [url=aos://3920054348:32887:0.75]TestDrive - Big Block Babel[/url]
Attachments
bigblock.py
(9.53 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Last edited by a girl on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

This is actually turning out to be fairly addicting... I put bigblock on goonassault to try it out in the old GH1 style... it just feels right somehow... less building, more fighting.
learn_more
Coder
Coder

nice idea.

i think the issue with floating towers is caused by the server not checking it correctly, and the client 'fixing' it locally when it's connected.

add some debug logging to the server to see what the server thinks is getting destroyed vs what you see on the client.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

Actually Topo helped me figure that out... I knew what the cause was... the clients were all doing their jobs, but the server wasn't cleaning up it's own junk. Then Topo discovered that destroy_point calls the check_node function which does the clean up while remove_point does not.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

Actually, I about started writing my own floating blocks clean up script... had it all planned out and everything, but I couldn't believe that pyspades would rely on the clients to do all the clean up work, so I kept looking.
scrawl
Veterans
Veterans

Really cool idea, I played this on your server, and it's really fun.
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

While this script seems to be fully functioning on my server with no major issues, there is one minor bug I need to fix. I haven't taken the time to look into it, but it should probably be documented. When building blocks, the colors work fin. You select a color off the map and place a block and you get that color. However, the color that people see on the block in your hand doesn't match the color of the block you are placing. You can be placing sky blue blocks while everyone sees you holding a pink block. Not really a problem, but not really ideal. Other than that, this script seems stable. Any suggestions? And yes, I've already heard the "plz add a way to make normal sized blocks" LOL. I might add it as a toggleable option.
MrFritz
League Operator
League Operator

Hey a_girl :) and I love this script! What would be wonderful that we could be about to toggle from 2x2x2 to 1x1x1 in mid-game? I really like the possibilities of this script and It would be interesting to use on the .76 league servers! The games would and the intel towers would be massive
learn_more
Coder
Coder

a girl wrote:
WAny suggestions? And yes, I've already heard the "plz add a way to make normal sized blocks" LOL. I might add it as a toggleable option.
MrFritz wrote:
Hey a_girl :) and I love this script! What would be wonderful that we could be about to toggle from 2x2x2 to 1x1x1 in mid-game? I really like the possibilities of this script and It would be interesting to use on the .76 league servers! The games would and the intel towers would be massive
lol
a girl
Scripter
Scripter

MrFritz wrote:
I actually thought the exact same as learn_more, but I think your question deals more specifically with an in game option instead of a global script setting.

My hesitation is that if you allow building normal blocks, then the script is virtually pointless. It's meant to redefine gameplay, not just add another option. I suppose if you allowed normal building, but did not allow normal destruction it could work. Someone mentioned that right click build could place normal blocks in normal line build style as the bigblock line build isn't ideal. The client spends twice as many blocks on a line of big blocks than it does if the player laid them 1 at a time, but I kind of think of that as a game balance.

Another idea is to use the sneak (v) as the method to place normal blocks.

But my question is still WHY??? bigblock is supposed to change the gameplay... force players to shoot from behind 2 high walls instead of their comfortable 3 high... if we allow single block building, then it completely undoes the beauty of it. I felt guilty changing up the grenades for this reason... bigblocks shouldn't be subdividable. I was even thinking of adding a feature that would re-scale the map on each map change to make it fit with bigblock.

Anyway, the idea is to change, not supplement gameplay, but I suppose the option should be there.
IAmYourFriend
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I think some part of this script conflicts with the pysnip setting "user_blocks_only", block destruction is bugged when it is set to true (almost no user placed blocks can be removed).
Great idea and script otherwise Blue_Happy3

Edit: Moved topic over to Approved ‹ Features & Enhancements
11 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Features & Enhancements”