[game mode] Smashoff

16 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Dr.Morphman
Scripter
Scripter

so i was finaly able to create a stable version of a script that i have been working on for quite some time

in smashoff, the damage you inflict gets replaced by knockback,
the more damage you would normaly deal, the farther your enemy will be thrown back
your goal is obviously trying to knock your enemy out of the stage/platform
you can bounce from walls when you are thrown against them, but holing yourself up thinking you are safe will not help you :3
meaning you have to think about from what angle you hit the enemy so he will fall off the map instead of the damage you would deal
whenever you die from fall damage, the person who shot you last will receive the point as it counts as his kill
this may give some mappers new inspiration since they have to create stages in the sky

using this script efficiently requires to change weapon stats via other scripts since the knockback strenght is being calculated with damage (for exampe: a shotgun will barely push someone back while the smg owns everything with normal weapon stats)

for testing purposes i added a command which helps you adjust the overall knockback strength
- /knockbackvalue <value> (/kbv works as well)
it is too difficult for me to explain exactly what the value does right now, but the lower the value, the stronger the knockback
(so setting it to 20 will feel like a fly is attacking you while setting it to 1 may crash you out of the map)
i recommend setting it between 5 and 15

everything is still work in progress since i am not realy good at transposing my ideas to a script, therefore i would like to ask somebody else here if he can fix/improve some issues which still exist:

- teleporting the enemy along his trajectory is not realy a fluent animation
- the intel will not be reset once somebody drops it on the ground fixed by IamYourFriend
- there will be a shitload of errors once somebody disconnects right after he has been hit
- fall damage is being calculated with z-velocity , therefore i was not able to create an effective knockback when somebody is
getting hit from above/below
- (rather rare but still an eyesore:) client may crash (according to others) happens only when one would leave the map boundaries when the knockback strenth is set too high
- i would like to put the enemies HP into the knockback equation, making it similiar to the smashbros series but it does not seem possible since you need to adjust weapon stats in several ways

the code may look like it contains a lot of unnecessary stuff, but i assure you it wont work when you simply assign a velocity

...aw man when i look at this text i feel like i have written it like a 4th grader
Attachments
smashoff.py
i cant look at it anymore
(7.15 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Last edited by Dr.Morphman on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thepolm3
Scripter
Scripter

so you managed it then
don't worry about the lack of animation, it looks great, especially with shotgun
after you have calculated the damage->knockback you can add/multiply by player.hp
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

Pretty fun, and funny. Green_BigSmile

Mappers! It needs new maps! Small fighting areas (less than 128x128) that float high in the sky would probably be ideal.

The game mode is playable at aloha.pk smashoff aos://1379434439:54887:0.75
IAmYourFriend
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

It really is an awesome mode Blue_Happy1
I think Lostmotel made 3 maps for it so far, one of them was posted here: http://www.buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6660
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

Ah, I knew I saw a map for this game mode before... Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy!
izzy
Head Admin / Co-founder
Head Admin / Co-founder

Script validated/approved.
Fluke
Deuced Up

Sorry for being an obnoxious necro, but I really like this game mode! I saw an Aloha server with it yesterday, but that seemed to be the only one hosting it. Wish more servers would, it is pretty fun.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

oh so you're flukeman.
and it's not a necro, the post before yours was made the day before yours.

pretty fun game mode heh
Fluke
Deuced Up

Zekamalikyd wrote:
oh so you're flukeman.
and it's not a necro, the post before yours was made the day before yours.

pretty fun game mode heh
Do I know you?
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

maybe you know Sonozaki Mion
Fluke
Deuced Up

Zekamalikyd wrote:
maybe you know Sonozaki Mion
Doesn't ring a bell
Zekamalikyd