OpenSpades introduction

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
665 posts Page 5 of 45 First unread post
shaz

Good work yvt, looks good. Some good ideas in here as well to add onto next versions.

I think the current issue is the advantages some players may get using the regular game without Openspades, as aiming is much more fast/precise, grenade throwing distance etc. Absolutely loving it so far though
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

guess I was wrong, sorry Blue_Wink1
shaz

After playing I think a few possible changes can be made to improve on this:
- Grenades to be thrown a bit further (I believe they go further if you're playing the regular version)
- When running and suddenly aiming or moving side to side, the aim is blocked by the gun model (the iron sights), this perhaps could be fixed or improved so you can aim faster, it seems a little slow to move out of the way, just my opinion though.
- Killfeed and chat should be separated, perhaps put the killfeed up top like usual
- Allow more server colours to be used such as red, blue etc
- Allow other characters to be used, such as "|"
- Add tracers (Just thought of this one)

Also as a question, what are the advantages/disadvantages of gameplay between this version and the regular version? In the original I believe due to the quicker aiming (As the iron sights don't get in the way), you can pretty much get a shot faster?
And I think in the original the grenades go further. These differences are minor but when playing in game I think the people with the original version are slightly more at an advantage.

Just some thoughts and opinions, hope it helps - Great stuff, so fun playing on this.
Last edited by shaz on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Besides what you said there is not much disadvantage
shaz

Yeah I think there just needs some slight tweaking to make it more like the regular version in those aspects. Other than that, wow. Really.

Dream come true ;_;
SemiColonD
Deuce

Are we able to use our mod skins in OpenSpades
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

SemiColonD wrote:
Are we able to use our mod skins in OpenSpades
According to people in this thread, yes.

Anyhow, right now I'm trying to write a global illumination algorithm. So far I only have local illumination right now, and it doesn't write the map data yet, but oh well.
shaz

You can use mods in this yes. Just check Resources/Models and Resources/Gfx for like Sights etc.

Those of you who are having issues with the aiming because the iron sight gets in the way when strafing or running, check this.

http://swstormwind.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 5110#p5110

I basically made a kv6 mod to lower the rifle a block down, so it looks exactly the same just lower, also shorted the player arm so because of the rifle being lower, it isn't holding it at an awkwardly high position.

Hope this helps for the time being.
Fawad
League Champs
League Champs

^Thats amazing! Now people cant complain about that target thing getting in the way. Good job shaz! AWESOME.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

use winrar to open the .PAK files
SemiColonD
Deuce

Well I've got another question.
Is there a way to set up a mod or edit OpenSpades to have an exact replica of Ace of Spades 0.75 (As in nothing buffed or anything done to it) except with the Openspades graphics and flash light added in?
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Isn't it already that way?
GreaseMonkey
Coder
Coder

SemiColonD wrote:
Well I've got another question.
Is there a way to set up a mod or edit OpenSpades to have an exact replica of Ace of Spades 0.75 (As in nothing buffed or anything done to it) except with the Openspades graphics and flash light added in?
I would view that as a feature request.

Also, the .pak files are just zip files in disguise. yvt, do you mind just renaming them to .zip files instead?

EDIT: Just found something nifty. If you set AA to "FXAA", it does the antialiasing in a shader, which is good if you don't have MSAA support.
UnrealIncident
Coder
Coder

It took me over 2 hours to get this to compile on Windows using MinGW. There was hack upon hack to make it even compile. Please for the love of god get rid of autoconf. I had to edit every generated file by hand to get it to even make a Makefile then I had to edit the Makefile because the hacks I did made it not add the SDL and GLEW flags.
Dany0
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

^^^^^^^

That, very much that. A comprehensive explanation on how to compile it on Windows would be much appreciated. Also moving to cmake or something like that would be awesome.
665 posts Page 5 of 45 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”