No Leaf Clover - 2016.06.13 - custom OS build - no updates

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
166 posts Page 3 of 12 First unread post
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Chameleon wrote:
Well surprise surprise, teams can have their own names in vanilla! (I prefer chocolate, but whatever)

I will be working on all the stuff, but only when I get shit sorted out with OpenGl. Ofc I could publish shit, half-working (SW only) binaries for the interested, but I believe it would just damage already poor state of the game. I am planning to include in next release 2 different team skins, 2 different weapon/tool skins (1st/3rd pov) and maybe automatic* LOD system.
*models are scaled proportionately to their original size, so if you make 12x12x12 head, it'll have scale of 0.5 of the original one, so it's still 6x6x6 (so fuck size cheaters). Plus user control of the LOD aggressiveness.
Sounds good, man!
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

I might make halve it, but adding cg_skipAimAnimation promotes different type of gameplay (like crouch spamming) than I am aiming at. I fixed lag many people complained about; if my features don't satisfy you, use the lag-less release.
Though I must admit that seeing trough ironsights is a lot easier in real life, since (with most types of sights) you are supposed to keep both eyes open. So I am thinking of ways to change this, e.g. pressing [Sprint] while standing still would move weapon down (instead of moving to hip), taking a peek over the sights OR e.g. make models transparent when aiming, but that would look far from beautiful (but would add a nice touch).

I made some progress - both teams have different Player/Intel/Tent/Tool/Weapon skins, I am currently making them. Player skins, (maybe Intel&Tent too, I don't remember now) have LOD (3 models) and fixed size, might make LOD for 3rd person weapon skins too.
Progress:
I think I will release weapons with default animations, making custom ones (that don't look like shit) would take a hell lot of time and effort.

I can't promise release in 2015, because I want it to include as much features and fixes as possible.
Last edited by Chameleon on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Chameleon wrote:
I might make halve it, but adding cg_skipAimAnimation promotes different type of gameplay (like crouch spamming) than I am aiming at. I fixed lag many people complained about; if my features don't satisfy you, use the lag-less release.
Though I must admit that seeing trough ironsights is a lot easier in real life, since (with most types of sights) you are supposed to keep both eyes open. So I am thinking of ways to change this, e.g. pressing [Sprint] while standing still would move weapon down (instead of moving to hip), taking a peek over the sights OR e.g. make models transparent when aiming, but that would look far from beautiful (but would add a nice touch).

I made some progress - both teams have different Player/Intel/Tent/Tool/Weapon skins, I am currently making them. Player skins, (maybe Intel&Tent too, I don't remember now) have LOD (3 models) and fixed size, might make LOD for 3rd person weapon skins too.
Progress:
I think I will release weapons with default animations, making custom ones (that don't look like shit) would take a hell lot of time and effort.

I can't promise release in 2015, because I want it to include as much features and fixes as possible.
Bangin MP40, man.

#chameleonspades only servers, here we come!
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

#chameleonspades lol
In all seriousness, if I make:
*similar performance to AoS 0.x
*basic a/c. god I hate the .dll people
*drunk cam
*figure out how netcode works
then yes, I'll make a new protocol. exclusively for my os client. maybe.
But that's going to take some time, you know. You can't sell logs tied together as a luxury yacht. Everything has to fit in to the blocky feel of the game.
Have less rushing, more thinking. Kind of like VXW, that game sure had it's own touch (last version with drunk cam).
Much less eyecandy, more bounded cubes.
Spoiler:
I've totally said this before....
Reduce player head hitzone size, to simulate helmet bullet deflection.
Reduce power of rifle/smg, make players rely on airstrikes/mortars/arty/RPG/HMG.
Add a true loadout system, so players would be able to choose more ammo over nades etc.
Add things that make common sense - pick up weapons/ammo from dead, no insta-heal at tent, health-dependent speed/aiming, healing each other...
Decrease destruction, make battlefields last more. Less blocks you can carry, but they are worth more.
Add niche weapons: Mortar, HMG, Bolt-action, fast Semi, SMG, Shotg, pistol, HEgren, SMKgren, Single-shot RPG, binoculars, shovel/knife/hands, blocks.
Make those weapons rely on each other, e.g. forward guys with binocs send in coords for mortars at base. SMG's provide security for heavy weapons and carry their additional ammo.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Hell, once you make all that come true, I'll be doing ChOs 24/7. xD A new dynamic but still not getting rid of the simplistic feel of AoS
LeCom

I can help out with software rendering and writing the netcode, if you really want to do this(expect nobody to play it for a long time, just like for many other projects). I don't really know what to not understand about the netcode - in VXW I had just like 2 packet handling functions and one for connecting. Well, probably it's made 500% more complicated with microfunctions, useless OOP and hipster programming.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Of course, sooner or later I will ask you LeCom for help. You undoubtedly know software rendering and some more stuff about making os go faster.
I can't even give an aproximate day when I start messing with SW, but definitely after I release this one.
I've still got ironsight models, gun sounds and gun scripts left, then testing and release should be ready by end of 2016 Jan.

I like the bounded cube feeling of VXW. I do dislike some secondary things, but the game really has a nice feeling to it.
For example the blur effect of near explosions, which, unlike 99.99% of games, actually increases your frames/sec AND looks good+unique. Pure fucking genius, man.
Drunk cam too. Makes you go easy with mouse.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Chameleon wrote:
*similar performance to AoS 0.x
That's not going to happen. Writing a fast voxel engine that runs at a decent framerate on a netbook is impossible, and only ever worked because Ken Silverman is from outer space.

In other words, don't write code for anything slower than a GMA 4500. Even then, don't expect to get 60fps out of that thing. 15fps is technically "realtime". Use that as a figure.
Chameleon wrote:
*basic a/c. god I hate the .dll people
You can do what Iceball does and have just about everything written in a scripting language and have the scripts sent to the client, that way you can evade hacks fairly easily. It takes a while though. I'd say your main focus should just be on providing regular updates, because right now I don't think there's enough interest to make new hacks for a new protocol version.
Chameleon wrote:
*drunk cam
Use a camera-local rotate along the lines of glRotate, load/store the rotation matrix, and gently correct the sky arrow while doing something along the lines of gluLookAt.

That's pretty much how it works. You basically store a tilted sky arrow and then gently pull it towards where the sky arrow is supposed to point.
Chameleon wrote:
Here's an idea.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

I have actually got some programming stuff kind-of sorted out, the only thing is to try write it.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
That's not going to happen.
Fair enough. But then my aim would be making possibility for users to downgrade graphics, for example displaying distant blocks as voxels, not as vertical lines (as right now, right?). Something Iceball SW render did, you could see LOD working on blocks.
Or VXW, I liked the style which also made game run faster.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
Chameleon wrote:
Here's an idea.
Yeah, it's maybe more a matter of how much time & energy I can/want to spend on this.
But first performance/graphics issues; SW models have holes when looked at an angle, SW blocks have noise on their edges, so that needs a fix first.

One question popped up in my head; LeCom, why ammo boxes lagged when up close in VXW?
Donald Trump
Deuced Up

cuz its VXW
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Any in game screenshots with the new weapon/intel/team models?

(Also, I know 4 members of a AoS clan IRL, I'm trying to introduce them to this :))
LeCom

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
That's not going to happen.
I have to disagree here. Making it fast is hard, but not impossible. With SVO raytracing, I got an acceptable framerate for 320x240, which is 1/13 of my max screen resolution. Tracing a ray for 16 pixels (4x4 rays) reduces the amount of rays to 1/16, which is already a working solution for the problem. The only difficulty here is to combine 16 rays into one cone and the relations between them. Or we create one or two rays and split them for every mip level increase, tho' this is very complex.
Or, how about SVOs for raycasting algorithms like Voxlap or the OpenSpades one :P
Would just require someone smart enough to write a new one - neither of the two above is good for modifying them.
Chameleon wrote:
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
Chameleon wrote:
Here's an idea.
Yeah, it's maybe more a matter of how much time & energy I can/want to spend on this.
The effort to put in here is so small that you don't need to worry.
Chameleon wrote:
But first performance/graphics issues; SW models have holes when looked at an angle, SW blocks have noise on their edges, so that needs a fix first.

One question popped up in my head; LeCom, why ammo boxes lagged when up close in VXW?
Voxel shape noise might be caused by precision errors. Voxlap has the same problem, if you look closer you see the lines not being perfect due to loss of precision in the fixed point calculations.
The ammo box lag might the KV6 filling your entire screen. I neglected the rectangle drawing code.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
Voxel shape noise might be caused by precision errors. Voxlap has the same problem, if you look closer you see the lines not being perfect due to loss of precision in the fixed point calculations.
Yeah, but the noise is different. Voxlap's noise is symmetrical, it's always the same, I like it. OS noise looks far more random.
Anyway, if my programming projects go well at uni, I'll get back to os soon. Please test the current release, I dl'ed today and noticed too much screen shake in hip fire.
Are grenade particles flying not too high?
Set "/opt_particleNiceDist 1", is there not too much smoke?
How much spread and recoil penalty should have:
walking
jumping
crouch walking
repeatedly crouching?
In pending release, jumping makes recoil & spread twice as big (while you're in the air).
JuliaV
Deuce

If you think these fixes should be official, push then to github
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

I highly despise the idea, because it's so much easier to hack an open source game. Sorry, but no.
166 posts Page 3 of 12 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”