No Leaf Clover - 2016.06.13 - custom OS build - no updates

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
166 posts Page 7 of 12 First unread post
kmsi
Mapper
Mapper

Chameleon wrote:
kmsi wrote:
Really nice work.
I'll open 24/7 Server for this client when this project is finished :)
Thank you, but there's still a long way to go.

There's always the possibility that:
it can take too long and community will die
I'll meet some issue too big for me
no one will like it

Let's face it, I did like VXW, LeCom definitely did something right. But it's server was empty. So I keep in mind that I might end up in a 'vicious 0 player circle'.
There is a AOS forum in Korea, so I can encourage Korean AOS players to play your game. Don't worry!
madsnark
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Oh alrighty then, it wasn't broken on SW so I had no clue.
Can I buy you a new keyboard so you can turn your caps-lock off? (That's rhetorical question, don't answer pls)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f171gud23taj2 ... 1.zip?dl=0

Also I have decided to do my own fork on GitHub == source code openly available. I realised it would be a lot easier to push fixes to official github and get some fixes from them too, plus I am sure with my current skillz new protocol will be failure.
In the end, closed/open source will not matter in new protocol, because there's going to be checks for purity of connecting client.
FoobyDude
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Not sure if it's just me, but the M1A1 Thompson's magazine doesn't appear.

edit: the MP40's mag is also a bit out of place
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Dude, that resolution! My Intel HD can't do more than 15 fps on 800x600 OpenGL :P
Well to be honest, I still have to make ironsights more accurate, then make magazines and other moving parts work, then add casings for shotgun and magazine dropping for smg/semi, then add scope for semi. Oh and I'll add muzzleflashes too.

So weapon models and scripts are still WIP and will get attention. It's just that I can't and I don't want to develop OS 24/7, that is unrealistic. And I can't just hop on and develop it for 15 minutes a day, if I do something, I do it. And there are things I am doing right now, like changing behaviour of drunk cam, so please understand it's for the best if I don't hop from project to project :)
Thanks.
LeCom

Chameleon wrote:
Dude, that resolution! My Intel HD can't do more than 15 fps on 800x600 OpenGL :P
MRW that first time I see a developer having even shittier hardware than me. But, that's fine. The slower (=/= deprecated, because that leads to bad practices) your hardware is, the faster your code. The problem is only that you are just extending a game engine and not rewriting its renderer :P
FoobyDude
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Chameleon wrote:
Well to be honest, I still have to make ironsights more accurate, then make magazines and other moving parts work, then add casings for shotgun and magazine dropping for smg/semi, then add scope for semi. Oh and I'll add muzzleflashes too.

So weapon models and scripts are still WIP and will get attention. It's just that I can't and I don't want to develop OS 24/7, that is unrealistic. And I can't just hop on and develop it for 15 minutes a day, if I do something, I do it. And there are things I am doing right now, like changing behaviour of drunk cam, so please understand it's for the best if I don't hop from project to project :)
Thanks.
I'm currently running a 2003 XPS with an updated graphics card, and I get 50 fps average on absolute lowest settings. I have a second monitor too! ( 1280x1024 )
Its not that great to be honest.

But that's irrelevant. On the topic of weapons, Ok great. I was hoping it wasn't just me and now that I know its part of the code I feel better. I'm rather patient so I'm not one to demand updates and such, so take your time. Careful code makes a good game!
Just look at Sonic Team. They rush everything. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric? More like shit storm: I bled to death.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
The problem is only that you are just extending a game engine and not rewriting its renderer :P
Oh SW will be going for revision, and if I don't get lost in the code, maybe a partial rewrite.
Right now I'm fixing those new features (drunk cam, ironsights and spread/recoil penatlies) so I can upload this thing to GitHub.
And then, after a couple more new features (magazines, scopes and GUI stuff), SW!

My viewpoint: SW is going to take time. So first I add some secondary features in; people can test them while I can go lock myself up with SW.
FoobyDude
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I know I'm definitely missing something, but what exactly does "SW" stand for? I'm assuming its either the abbreviated name of the project, or Software Rendering
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

The glorious Software Renderer.
The one that looks like Voxlap<3
The one that looks awfully dirty.

But seriously, all SW models look like they are round-ish, not like OpenGL ones that are the cleanest cubes in the whole galaxy.
No matter how detailed models you make, in OpenGL they will always look like cubes. SW avoids this horrible path of life.
FoobyDude
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Chameleon wrote:

But seriously, all SW models look like they are round-ish, not like OpenGL ones that are the cleanest cubes in the whole galaxy.
No matter how detailed models you make, in OpenGL they will always look like cubes. SW avoids this horrible path of life.
Oh, well that's a problem in the case of my PC. my computer runs OpenGL better than SW in any situation.
LeCom

FoobyDude wrote:
Chameleon wrote:

Oh, well that's a problem in the case of my PC. my computer runs OpenGL better than SW in any situation.
That's a question of programming actually. If SW is in the 60 FPS range, it won't matter anyways. If it's not, then remember that it's very shitty compared to Voxlap and that Voxlap is singe core only.
I would also like to add that Ken's idea behind Voxlap were highly detailed graphics with small voxels. But YVT wanted to go with retro graphics. He COULD have added either detailed models or a smoother Voxlap-like renderer.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

FoobyDude wrote:
That's what I/we will try to fix.
Actually same would be with me, I have old intel4 2.4GHz computer with Nvidia 620GT, OpenGL (without all the particles) runs in 60s range. And SW runs in range of 15s. Ofc when looking down you get more frames.
Now I have intel5s 2X2.4GHz with Intel HD and OpenGL-SW performance got reversed.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

"Something to play around with" version :3
*Took a look into spread/recoil penalties. They are still there though, will be refined a bit in the future.
*Added weapon visual lag, the kind of AoS had. Bullet hits will be affected in the future by weapon direction.
*Also added /weap_scope and /weap_scopeZoom. Refill at tent to apply changes!

Download for general audience NoLeafClover 2016.02.05
Download for stuff-stuffers source - a tiny bit outdated
FoobyDude
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I would appreciate it if some one made a simple modification to the rifles to add a basic Mosin scope to compliment the new settings/features.

pls and thenk u
166 posts Page 7 of 12 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”