No Leaf Clover - 2016.06.13 - custom OS build - no updates

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
166 posts Page 4 of 12 First unread post
LeCom

Chameleon wrote:
I highly despise the idea, because it's so much easier to hack an open source game. Sorry, but no.
You should apply my way of thinking when developing VXW only for the same situation. OS is open source already, so AoS hacks are not a big thing right now. If you modify OS and release your own version with own protocol and stuff, you have to make it open source either way, because of the OS license AFAIK.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Yeah, well I could give away the source, but "forget" the netcode. Of course, I would have to change netcode in both OS and server software, so there would be no Open-OpenSpades.
Or check the .exe's hash code when connecting.
Or give a link to old source code.

I think it is fair I don't release the source as long as it stays 100% free, with absolutely no officialy sold things you can buy.
Necessary evil.
EDIT:
I looked up GPL v3,
For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.
Bullshit, no one is getting source code (yet).
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

can't wait for drunk cam. Damn, I need january to come already, waiting for this stuff is killing me
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Shameless self bump.
* If you think drunk cam is bad, be precise about it. (Too fast? too little?)
* Ironsights are not 100% accurate. yet
* Crossahirs don't work as good in OpenGl. Use Software.
* I know, I know, there are no animations, not even default ones, proper magazine models don't even exist (lazy)
* Does not support any script mods unless you add letters "A" or "B" in some places
* Free aim (google "free aim arma"), still a tiny bit buggy, but hey it works
* Open /Resources/ and read "ReadMe-Changelist.txt" if you want to configure the hell out of this
* You can't disable drunk cam or freeaim. That's a feature.
* Drunk cam was inspired by Voxlap <3 and FreeAim was inspired by Infiltration 2.9 <3 <3 <3

* FreeAim requires some time to master. After two/three years of Infiltration 2.9 freeaim, I can hit things fast even without crosshairs/ironsights. Newbies won't hit side of a barn.
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I can't believe I logged in to say this, but,

the source code link is broken you license violating cunt.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

I generally respect oldfags old players,
but...
omg no

Please note that vanilla source is the first link, together with credit to (including, not limited) yvt.
Why are you chasing the rabbit? Do you care to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes? Are you a fucking SJW?
If you think you can do better than I did, you can do what I did yourself, thus you don't really need the source.
If you think community would be better off, I doubt it would make a difference. It doesn't make a difference, because yvt changes code in ~3 month intervals, and usually it's a single line or less.
If yvt or someone else starts constantly making a lot more progress than I am, then yes, I will contribute a lot of source code (unless the game heads towards cawadooty rather than VXW/Voxlap feel).
If you are on Unix... That might be the only true explanation. I will try (again) building on Linux and distributing both Win and Linux. If you have Apple, means you can buy good enough computer to run virtual Windows inside OSX.
I believe giving out the source code makes cheating a fucking lot easier (for future protocols). That's why I would rather give up on building than publishing the source code. Unless I find a magic solution and then release part of it, just enough to compile on other platforms.

Also, I do understand work under GPL is free as in "free speech" and "free beer"...
If you don't have any other reason rather than screaming "licence!" .. get off my back.
rakiru
Coder
Coder

Chameleon wrote:
I generally respect oldfags old players,
but...
omg no

Please note that vanilla source is the first link, together with credit to (including, not limited) yvt.
Why are you chasing the rabbit? Do you care to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes? Are you a fucking SJW?
If you think you can do better than I did, you can do what I did yourself, thus you don't really need the source.
If you think community would be better off, I doubt it would make a difference. It doesn't make a difference, because yvt changes code in ~3 month intervals, and usually it's a single line or less.
If yvt or someone else starts constantly making a lot more progress than I am, then yes, I will contribute a lot of source code (unless the game heads towards cawadooty rather than VXW/Voxlap feel).
If you are on Unix... That might be the only true explanation. I will try (again) building on Linux and distributing both Win and Linux. If you have Apple, means you can buy good enough computer to run virtual Windows inside OSX.
I believe giving out the source code makes cheating a fucking lot easier (for future protocols). That's why I would rather give up on building than publishing the source code. Unless I find a magic solution and then release part of it, just enough to compile on other platforms.

Also, I do understand work under GPL is free as in "free speech" and "free beer"...
If you don't have any other reason rather than screaming "licence!" .. get off my back.
Whether or not you agree that it should be opensource is up to you, but the fact of the matter is that you legally have to release the source under the GPL license. YVT graciously released the source code for OpenSpades, allowing you to make this mod in the first place, under the conditions of the GPLv3. If you don't agree with it, then don't use it, but you also can't use the OpenSpades code then either.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Checked it out. I like the idea of freeaim and all, but is it supposed to be like that, too when you aim?
Really like the drunk cam, too. Both freeaim and drunk cam give it a nice feel to it.... Btw, I know I have a shitty computer and all but when I do software renderer, I get 20 fps max. It's "better" though instead of with regular OS software renderer running at 9 fps. Oddly enough, I still get the usual old 80fps when playing OpenGL either using your client or using the default one.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Well from 9 to 20 fps is very good improvement with very little work.
Might get way more fps if LeCom and my get real shit done...
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

ah cool, now back to my first question, is it meant to still have free aim when you are aiming down the sight?
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Yes yes of course!
I introduced it because ironsights would suck without it, free aim (or aiming deadzones) make it easier to use sights, you can take a peek over them without changing your view.

I am thinking of reducing it while sprinting, but I'm not sure... I like the fluidness about it.
You know when the damn green or clever blue, in "push" gamemode, build a single-block thick bridge beyond fog range? I love how sometimes it feels like you have to balance to not go off it.

Plus, I checked that all front pins of guns are in the same position up&down wise and are very accurate. Not 100% sure, but you can use top block / top edge of top block of the pin to aim. Mind that since view shakes, SMG becomes difficult to put on target at fog range, unless you fire in bursts. Which is good.
LeCom

I tried it for a brief time. That amount of inspiration by VXW xd
SW renderer refused to start right away (the error message isn't really helpful, just "caught an exception in something Render() function"), so I had to take OpenGL.
The different mods are a bit weird; they look WW2-like, but that doesn't fit the general OpenSpades graphics theme the way you did it. They also seem a bit small, especially grenades. The freeaim looks cool and makes aiming really nice, but noscoping is broken. It would make more sense if recoil only affected the gun, but not the camera direction, because it makes me aim almost 90 degrees away from my target when noscoping with the shotgun (we both know very well that Sauerkraut Zombies is the only decent server right now xd).
If you want to extend the protocol, you probably need a server; I don't think anyone cares enough to set one up. You probably also need advertising and stuff.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Server/new protocol is far, far future.

When Software crashes, can you post SystemMessages.log? It might have something useful.
Also, rename your SPConfig.cfg and let it redo configuration. Also try inverting some values, like cg_ragdoll, r_allowSoftwareRendering and the like.

Mods and hands are work in progress, they don't look exactly the best. I can't bring guns much closer to screen or it'll be impossible to aim in software mode, though I'll revise this, maybe make configure-able.
What theme you think would fit openspades? If you reduce the amount of eyecandy to minimum of course. I am aiming for the feel of VXW, but I find it difficult to say exactly what.
I like how blocks blend in a bit to each other. I don't like the cleanness of OpenGl. I like fluidness of the view, just like IRL you can't snap your head 180 without spinning, just like IRL your gun wouldn't be exactly in the center of screen.

Unkown author
Will investigate crash and shotgun, thanks.

EDIT: I might know your issues with shotty. Don't jump and shoot. Additional penalties for crouching repeatedly, moving, etc.
If zombies get you some airtime, you are better off with spade anyway. Will limit the recoil & spread increase though.

EDIT 2: "Don't jump & shoot" is a good name for a game, don't you think? Also DJ'n'S or Dj&S sounds cool.
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Chameleon wrote:
Are you a fucking SJW?
TIL that license violations are a social justice problem.

Okay mate, it's official, you're a fucking wack.

Whether you like it or not, you are legally obligated to release the code as stated in the GPLv3 license.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Well since you can't present motivations why you are chasing licences, I assumed the worst.

Also, a little fun never killed nobody. Cheer up.
166 posts Page 4 of 12 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”