What does everyone think of OpenSpades so far?

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
10 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
CookieBite
Deuce

I for one think it is absolutely excellent!
AOSRedStrafe
Deuce

IMO OpenSpades runs much better for me than the older Build and Shoot launcher, the mods for it are quite reliable and are amazing (even if a lot of them need to be updated to the latest version 0.12b)
Overall its a well build mod in which anyone can use. Green_Happy1
CookieBite
Deuce

AOSRedStrafe wrote:
IMO OpenSpades runs much better for me than the older Build and Shoot launcher, the mods for it are quite reliable and are amazing (even if a lot of them need to be updated to the latest version 0.12b)
Overall its a well build mod in which anyone can use. Green_Happy1
Totally agree!
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Pros & Cons of OS:
Pros:
-eye candy
-smg is unfair still
-shotgun is a lot more useful
-animations :o
-more customizable
cons:
-eye candy making the FPS drop like shit on your grandma's rig
-smg is unfair
-not accessible to all people
-creator doesn't care for this game or the B&S community. (Who doesn't...)
-doesn't give a step by step guide on how to compile the source... (even though it's open source)
-isn't fair when it comes to playing with AOS players.
this game isn't THAT great. It's unfinished and don't expect it to be finished any time soon.
Jigsaw
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

overpowered af, but also a nice alternative to the voxlap aos client.
But it ruins the fun for vxl players like me, because i always get sniped by the openspades smg in fogrange, EVERYTIME. And we "normal" players have to fight with the weird 0.75 rifle spread, so the openspades smg needs def. a nerf, also the shotgun (i like it how it is, but its still unfair compared to the voxlap one) Also the rifle should get more recoil, i can spray down my whole magazine even when jumping (ikr the recoil is the same at all positions, whats unfair af compared to aos) without throwing off my mouse. That's not possible with the normal client for me.

too bad that yvt doesn't care about openspades anymore...
Chrisonixxx
Deuced Up

Its a really great game ^.^
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Hi community, it's not me again,

I think OS needs some additions to the code.
-limiting the size of the head/torso/legs, not more than 2 voxels outside original model
-limiting the size of the arms, not more than 5 voxels outside original model
-loading 2 different skins for each team
-configuring the amount of particles produced
-configuring maximum range of certain sounds
-limiting the range of footsteps/spade woosh/reload/jump/water to 64 blocks (128 is fogrange)
-fixing 128 bullet range limit, AoS 0.75 bullet range is ~135 (beyond fog, I tested)
-having ability to run software-like rendering style on OpenGL: I mean same AoS 0.75 appearance, but using whatever graphics card you have, freeing your CPU. If you still don't understand... AoS 0.75 uses your processor for graphics. OpenGL - OpenSpades uses your graphics card for graphics. So if you don't use your processor, you can have more things going on with same computer. And if you don't have all the eyecandshit going on, you have only the old fashioned AoS style, you can use 1.2 OpenGL that even 10 year old graphics cards permit (Intel integratedshit).

Also I think that the bounded cube looks nice for map blocks. Makes them look a tad more realistic. Have you seen the edges of those blocks up close? They're not completely straight, they've got "noise". And OpenSpades blocks are 100% correct cubes, edges all smooth & shit. Same for Iceball, if I could make Iceball render (OpenGL+old cubes), then I'd be all over it modding it. Now the current "toon" looks like shit after a couple of hours and I don't know how to turn it off.

To sum up, I feel like OpenSpades really OVERkilled with eyecandy. It's about gameplay... If I could compare graphics on OS, I could say it's like going on a 1-hour bicycle ride with 5 litrs of water, 3 cans of tuna, fork, knife, can opener, tent, gas heater and a flat tire(because OS engine is shit).
LeCom

If Ken releases PND, all our problems will be gone. But at the moment, there's nobody to implement a GPU raycaster (so, something like Voxlap running on a GPU).
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Chameleon wrote:
Hi community, it's not me again,

I think OS needs some additions to the code.
-limiting the size of the head/torso/legs, not more than 2 voxels outside original model
-limiting the size of the arms, not more than 5 voxels outside original model
-loading 2 different skins for each team
-configuring the amount of particles produced
-configuring maximum range of certain sounds
-limiting the range of footsteps/spade woosh/reload/jump/water to 64 blocks (128 is fogrange)
-fixing 128 bullet range limit, AoS 0.75 bullet range is ~135 (beyond fog, I tested)
-having ability to run software-like rendering style on OpenGL: I mean same AoS 0.75 appearance, but using whatever graphics card you have, freeing your CPU. If you still don't understand... AoS 0.75 uses your processor for graphics. OpenGL - OpenSpades uses your graphics card for graphics. So if you don't use your processor, you can have more things going on with same computer. And if you don't have all the eyecandshit going on, you have only the old fashioned AoS style, you can use 1.2 OpenGL that even 10 year old graphics cards permit (Intel integratedshit).

Also I think that the bounded cube looks nice for map blocks. Makes them look a tad more realistic. Have you seen the edges of those blocks up close? They're not completely straight, they've got "noise". And OpenSpades blocks are 100% correct cubes, edges all smooth & shit. Same for Iceball, if I could make Iceball render (OpenGL+old cubes), then I'd be all over it modding it. Now the current "toon" looks like shit after a couple of hours and I don't know how to turn it off.

To sum up, I feel like OpenSpades really OVERkilled with eyecandy. It's about gameplay... If I could compare graphics on OS, I could say it's like going on a 1-hour bicycle ride with 5 litrs of water, 3 cans of tuna, fork, knife, can opener, tent, gas heater and a flat tire(because OS engine is shit).
K... why do you think we should have a limit to the voxel range making it at the most of 2 voxels? adding in extra voxels is making modding characters more creative.
...2 different skins for each team? Fuck yeah.
about the bounded cubes... you say you don't want too much eye candy yet You complain that it doesn't have "perfect" edges? who would care for that type of shit? Seriously.
Dzhoel
Deuced Up

yeah its pretty cool, its really the only reason i come back to this game after taking a year break because its easier than dealing with the default client

i miss pre 2011 AoS
10 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”