OpenSpades potentially stolen?

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Honno
Deuce

Hi guys, I just wanted to ask if this user on a site called GameJolt, who uploaded OpenSpades to the site, is official. Because the page has got a lot of traction recently (100K+ views) and the site offers ad revenue sharing, I'd suggest the creator of OS to contact the site to close it down or even direct the content to his page, if it's not him. It just looks a bit fishy...

~Honno
Paratrooper
Modder
Modder

Yeah, I was wondering if yvt was really the one that put that up on game jolt. Don't know how to contact him, though. Can someone get a hold of his github?
onigiri
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Hi

He isn't YVT . Green_Surprised2
I asked YVT just now.
YVT said,"I don't know."

OpenSpades is Open source.
I think ,the development is free by using Github .
longbyte1
Deuced Up

There is nothing illegal with putting the game up somewhere else, as OS is completely open-source. Malware is of course a risk that you take downloading binaries from other people.

I think the guy who uploaded this did it in good faith, he didn't attribute it to his own identity, instead he attributed it to "OpenSpades" which is an alt account he made and who isn't connected to anyone in particular. He couldn't have attributed it to yvt, because it would have disallowed him from posting it on the community, but otherwise represents yvt. It also links back to the OS forum on these forums and on yvt's GitHub. Also yvt forgot to put in a readme in the zip file.

145k views and you want this taken down? It'll only hurt BnS if it does.
onigiri
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

I do not know somehow well....
I'm not good at English.  Green_Nothappy

Oh, well. Green_Happy3
GameJolt must be a programmer.
Any way,I hope that "GameJolt" will develop OpenSpades. Green_Wink1
YVT is very busy now. Green_D'oh
IAmYourFriend
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

From the Game Jolt rules:
Don't upload games you didn't make. If you are not the game's developer, don't add the game to the site. If you're a fan, encourage the developer to add it themselves.
I think this gets bad, if the site really offers ad revenue sharing, as Honno said. Sure it's great to expose OpenSpades to a wider audience. But pretending and taking credit (and even money) for other peoples work is not.
onigiri
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Isn't he possibly one of a developer? Green_Happy3
YVT said," OpenSpades was made by me and many people".
longbyte1
Deuced Up

I would think you'd have to go through an extensive process to be in the ad revenue sharing program. And if the guy is enrolled, just tell him to make weekly payments to yvt (in yen Blue_Tongue).
onigiri
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

longbyte1 wrote:
I would think you'd have to go through an extensive process to be in the ad revenue sharing program. And if the guy is enrolled, just tell him to make weekly payments to yvt (in yen Blue_Tongue).
YVTは気にしてない。彼はお金に執着もしていない。
放置しようかと思うが、何か問題がありますか? Green_normal
RtMDL
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

onigiri wrote:
longbyte1 wrote:
YVTは気にしてない。彼はお金に執着もしていない。
放置しようかと思うが、何か問題がありますか? Green_normal
Translation: YVT doesn't care and he doesn't care about the money either. He plans on leaving it alone but, is there any other problem?

Anyways, as what Onigiri said, YVT doesn't have any problem to this and the person who posted it in gamejolt doesn't seem to be getting money off of it and actually doing a good purpose on making this game alive a little bit more longer.
Honno
Deuce

Sorry for leaving this, I just wanted to say that yvt can contact the admin and he can transfer all the games content (media, builds, comments, everything) onto a new account, so yvt can reap the revenue and not this thief.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Honno wrote:
thief
But how do we know the site has such a monetization program, or that he has it enabled? For all we know, he is doing the right thing and placing links to yvt's GitHub. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.
12 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”