Could this be possible?

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
23 posts Page 2 of 2 First unread post
Mr.Torch
Artist
Artist

bobbotheclown wrote:
LeCom wrote:
I read that there's a coffee shop called "Dumb Starbucks", which is basically an exact copy of Starbucks, just differing by the name. They use this parody law, which seemingly allows you to copy registered stuff, as long as you point out that it's a parody. Idk if it's convenient in this situation, but it's certainly an interesting thing.

Also, vehicles are possible, as long as you aren't a dumb retard who has to make everything OP.
Actually, It really depends on the judge making the decision. a good case to look up is the north face vs the south butt. in portland oregon theres a shop called the north face, and across the street i think a shop opened with the logo flipped upside down called the south butt. more or less identical store. it wasnt defendable under parody law. and openspades definately isnt a parody, its an alternate client.
They didn't just make an alternate store that sold the same things. They literally copied their logo and just rotated it 180 degrees...
bobbotheclown
Deuce

Mr.Torch wrote:
bobbotheclown wrote:
LeCom wrote:
I read that there's a coffee shop called "Dumb Starbucks", which is basically an exact copy of Starbucks, just differing by the name. They use this parody law, which seemingly allows you to copy registered stuff, as long as you point out that it's a parody. Idk if it's convenient in this situation, but it's certainly an interesting thing.

Also, vehicles are possible, as long as you aren't a dumb retard who has to make everything OP.
Actually, It really depends on the judge making the decision. a good case to look up is the north face vs the south butt. in portland oregon theres a shop called the north face, and across the street i think a shop opened with the logo flipped upside down called the south butt. more or less identical store. it wasnt defendable under parody law. and openspades definately isnt a parody, its an alternate client.
They didn't just make an alternate store that sold the same things. They literally copied their logo and just rotated it 180 degrees...
yes, but dumb starbucks also directly copied the logo, but added the word dumb to it.
LeCom

Somehow the market from your story sounds more like a copy to me, while "dumb starbucks" does more the impression of an actual parody.
Major Sheithead
Deuce

Dear OP,

Yes, the idea of creating a standalone OpenSpades does seem cool, but I do not agree with the suggestions of adding planes, medkits, and customization (unless it is like a small badge or something). The reason for this is because the simplicity to OpenSpades and BnS is what gives it its charm. I would not be opposed to additional game modes, preloaded skins, stationary installments like MGs/WGMs (if properly balanced), and larger maps + player count. So in short, my worry with your post is that your suggestions may take the charm out of the game. Positive attitude tho, keep it up.a
tra4
Banned

Major Sheithead wrote:
Dear OP,

Yes, the idea of creating a standalone OpenSpades does seem cool, but I do not agree with the suggestions of adding planes, medkits, and customization (unless it is like a small badge or something). The reason for this is because the simplicity to OpenSpades and BnS is what gives it its charm. I would not be opposed to additional game modes, preloaded skins, stationary installments like MGs/WGMs (if properly balanced), and larger maps + player count. So in short, my worry with your post is that your suggestions may take the charm out of the game. Positive attitude tho, keep it up.a
the thing is, you can't always get the same gameplay. But, most people won't notice a difference e.g. different graphics for the rifle, it will still behave the same for all the players. Even on mixing the clients, because the SERVER manages the gameplay the SERVER does most of the lag calculation and delays and movements etx. The client just DISPLAYS the software, the graphics are all done on the server.

See the problem is comes when you have different servers but lots of the same client. Then you get people being good and others think they're cheating etx.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

do i really need to say mods

also no to vehicles. those will not fare well in a blocky environment
Chrisonixxx
Deuced Up

Nice suggestion! Based on what ur saying tho, it sounds like another Jagex game tbh. Still good idea bro.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

• Oh wow, I too see c*mloads of potential in a game (IB) that has problems when you shoot a shotgun at blocks (lags like shit, GM admitted bad code)

Nice suggestions! I wonder where are the magic people that'll implement them.
    Infinite terrain is unique idea in a game world and has never been thought of. I have never heard of many games with procedural generation (I have).

I believe LeCom had pretty nice idea of a game. I would change the graphics engine to run on OpenGl and look like AoS <= 0.76, all of the assets, most of the "rules".
    But aside from that LeCom's VoxelWar had the spirit. Having to build trenches etc...
23 posts Page 2 of 2 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”