Could this be possible?

OpenSpades is an open source alternative client for AoS Classic and beyond! Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Created by yvt.
Compatible with AoS Classic.
23 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Coolkids
Deuce

I have been thinking recently, what if the OpenSpades client can be turned into a fully fledged game? I bet there is some things that can be done with the game that would be very cool, Unlimited terrain? Customisable characters? Vehicles? Planes/dogfights? Healthpacks/medics? I bet it could be done. Some will say that there are other projects working on different games based off of AoS, but OpenSpades is a lot more stable, altering some things, you can turn this into somthing awesome. I don't know much about programming, but I would be here for suggestions.
PABH
Deuced Up

hey nice suggestions
noobofspades
Deuced Up

Wow I don't think anyone has ever thought of this before................. Blue_Surprised2
BLOCKSHOT
Deuce

AoS veterino here. Open Spades is worthy of a stand alone release if only to to act as a paywall to trolls and hackers. There should be OS exclusive servers not different clients that have pluses and minuses to each.

Balanced gameplay and mechanics with a decent anti cheat program. New additions would be welcome but most importantly, considered updates that retain the core gameplay and feel of the original AoS. We don't want another Jagex fiasco.
If OS did these things well I would buy it Green_Sunglasses1
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

oh em gee. ^ This is actually a fairly smart post in awhile... there's been a lot of bullshit (majority of the bullshit posts are mine ^-^)
EldredChandler
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

BLOCKSHOT wrote:
AoS veterino here. Open Spades is worthy of a stand alone release if only to to act as a paywall to trolls and hackers.
Trust me, paywalls don't stop either.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

k, I take it back.
BLOCKSHOT
Deuce

Not entirely but it would drastically mitigate the problem as well as fund further development of the game were it an official release
bobbotheclown
Deuce

i don't see putting it behind a paywall to be a realistic prospect. simply due to the fact that Ace of spades is now Jagex's intellectual property. if Openspades went behind a paywall, i guarantee that jagex could afford a better lawyer. almost everything in openspades is ripped directly from ace of spades 0.75, so this isn't realistic unless the game is alterred beyond recognition.

its a good idea, but just not realistic to put it behind a paywall. it wouldn't be openspades anymore. also the wall would mean its no longer "open" i mean sure maybe open sourced. but not "open"

vehicles im gonna have to also say no to. i remember when that shit was hyped all the hell on the original AOS forums. but its fundamentally flawed to even suggest it. they will break the entire dynamic of the game. maps can be crossed in 2 seconds, itll become a massive hide and seek game if weapons are attached to them. no.

i do however think a standalone server without the limitations of 0.75's servers would be magnificent though.

Serverside fog distance control, Increased(or decreased) Map Sizes, serverside option to disable map tiling, option to disable building collapse. shots to destroy a block, conquest gamemode, goldrush from bad company maybe. pretty much the possibilities are endless when you don't restrict it to 0.75's server.
LeCom

bobbotheclown wrote:
i don't see putting it behind a paywall to be a realistic prospect. simply due to the fact that Ace of spades is now Jagex's intellectual property. if Openspades went behind a paywall, i guarantee that jagex could afford a better lawyer. almost everything in openspades is ripped directly from ace of spades 0.75, so this isn't realistic unless the game is alterred beyond recognition.

its a good idea, but just not realistic to put it behind a paywall. it wouldn't be openspades anymore. also the wall would mean its no longer "open" i mean sure maybe open sourced. but not "open"

vehicles im gonna have to also say no to. i remember when that shit was hyped all the hell on the original AOS forums. but its fundamentally flawed to even suggest it. they will break the entire dynamic of the game. maps can be crossed in 2 seconds, itll become a massive hide and seek game if weapons are attached to them. no.

i do however think a standalone server without the limitations of 0.75's servers would be magnificent though.

Serverside fog distance control, Increased(or decreased) Map Sizes, serverside option to disable map tiling, option to disable building collapse. shots to destroy a block, conquest gamemode, goldrush from bad company maybe. pretty much the possibilities are endless when you don't restrict it to 0.75's server.
I read that there's a coffee shop called "Dumb Starbucks", which is basically an exact copy of Starbucks, just differing by the name. They use this parody law, which seemingly allows you to copy registered stuff, as long as you point out that it's a parody. Idk if it's convenient in this situation, but it's certainly an interesting thing.

Also, vehicles are possible, as long as you aren't a dumb retard who has to make everything OP.
bobbotheclown
Deuce

LeCom wrote:
I read that there's a coffee shop called "Dumb Starbucks", which is basically an exact copy of Starbucks, just differing by the name. They use this parody law, which seemingly allows you to copy registered stuff, as long as you point out that it's a parody. Idk if it's convenient in this situation, but it's certainly an interesting thing.

Also, vehicles are possible, as long as you aren't a dumb retard who has to make everything OP.
Actually, It really depends on the judge making the decision. a good case to look up is the north face vs the south butt. in portland oregon theres a shop called the north face, and across the street i think a shop opened with the logo flipped upside down called the south butt. more or less identical store. it wasnt defendable under parody law. and openspades definately isnt a parody, its an alternate client.

and yes i agree, vehicles definately aren't impossible. i just don't see it being a good addition to the game. that discussion was had so many times before jagex bought AOS.

plus im pretty sure openspades as it currently stands is illegal, depending who you ask. so i don't think its treading much riskier waters if a new server is made. a pay wall will almost certainly get this board, and any forks of AOS shut down.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

This is an interesting post. I agree with CoolKids on a lot of things.

However, I think the IB team is much more responsive, and the project is alive
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

I have a feeling it'll die now if they don't start advertising. I see LOADS of potential in Iceball. It's a great game, the developers aren't shit and overall I have some faith in it. Buuut I can't play it without anyone on the servers. We need to advertise. Maybe get it on greenlight or some thing like that.
bobbotheclown
Deuce

bloodfox wrote:
I have a feeling it'll die now if they don't start advertising. I see LOADS of potential in Iceball. It's a great game, the developers aren't shit and overall I have some faith in it. Buuut I can't play it without anyone on the servers. We need to advertise. Maybe get it on greenlight or some thing like that.
if iceball had more players id sure as hell move to iceball, however things that bug me are the physics look like quake physics in the video, and i can't actually find the download link.

another issue is once 0.75 exploded the market got flooded with voxel based shooters. so much shovelware in this genre now you can't find anything. i just want something that feels like 0.75, because apart from all the bugs, it was the absolute best build.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

bloodfox wrote:
Good points.
23 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “OpenSpades Discussion”