=ArenaTournament!=Thoughts&Opinions=

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
32 posts Page 1 of 3 First unread post
MrFritz
League Operator
League Operator

MrFritz wrote:
Hey dan, I understand that the Season 4 league is being put off for awhile. Is there a time when it will be started back up? Also I was talking a couple of people and they said it would seem like a good idea. Could we have a small "tournaments" before the Season 4 actually kicks off. So there would still be a boost in activity of the community and perhaps make more people interested in the season 4 league.

Now saying that, what would these "tournaments" be composed of. Well I was thinking of the most favored game modes that we have. Arena.

-Arena-
-4v4,5v5,6v6- Depending on the teams and what fits the map
-Obviously bo3. Each team picks a map they want to play on for the first two rounds. Then a random map is picked by the Admin or randomly pick through rotation.
-10 caps to win.
-Set limitations on weapons. Depending on that the teams make a mutual agreement on which weapons are allowed to use.
-feel free to add rules-

Aloha involvement. I am still not sure how the buildandshoot managers and the aloha managers get along. So not sure if Aloha involvement would even work out. If there is an agreement to have a "Arena League". Have Aloha either broadcast the event on their website and/or let Aloha host the servers.

Reason why I think Aloha involvement would be great, I see a great amount of "Aloha Arena Clans" floating around in their arena servers. Most of the clan are dependent on Arena for their membership numbers. Having Aloha advertise our Arena League event and possible let them host the servers. We would hopefully see a huge increase in activity in the BnS community and perhaps make those Arena teams join the Season 4 League.

I know some of the rules can be change and some of the final details can be written later. I don't see how this is a bad idea and how it wouldn't increase participation from the community.

-MrFritz-
This is what I sent to danhezee, our community manager. What are your thoughts and opinions about this tournament?
Spoiler:
If we do first to 10 caps that is bo19 per map; I dont know if we really need to have bo3 maps. We can, I am not against it, just dont know if it is needed.

If it is 3v3 we might need to bump the cap limit even higher as I imagine the rounds would happen pretty quickly.

We could probably use arena top 10 maps + handful of others for the map rotation.

We should set the cap limit to 0 so the map doesnt change as soon as the match is over. The arena script needs to have /startmatch x, where x is the cap limit. and it would stop the match after one team reached that limit.

Each round should have a countdown timer, and a point is award to the team with the most people alive if the timer reaches 0 before a team successfully kills everyone on the other team.

As far as I know everyone from aloha and buildandshoot get along so I wouldnt think it would be to hard to work together.

I am against setting limitations on the weapons. Unless we explicitly say that the entire tournament is one gun and one gun only.
Danhezees response

Spoiler:
I like the idea of an Arena tournament and I have suggested it before and my original logic was that it would indeed draw from more sectors of the community who are uninterested in CTF play because it's not what they're into playing. This "pre-season" tournament could also draw from and showcase other popular CTF inspired and non-CTF game modes. Either way I really am all for anything that helps draw us together and get us playing in GM's we normally wouldn't touch because of the people who are playing, cus let's face it - games are always better with friends and people you know.

As for suggestions for the Arena idea 5v5 is probably going to be the best choice for amount of players, 16 vs 16 on public Arena games is really hectic and 5v5 is a nice round number. For win conditions I think the BO3 Games, first to 10 rounds won (or more) per game is probably the best way forward. If you imagine it in tennis terms it makes sense as they have Games, Sets and a Match. However, I don't agree with the idea of limiting weapons because then we're impeding strategy and removing choices for people and I feel that might give the tournament a pseudo entry level to it. As for map choices, possibly the most well known maps could be balanced with how dynamic the map can be for game play. Time limit is a must for each round, I know we probably won't get round time out campers who hide in obscure locations but better safe than sorry. one thing that needs to address is map glitches, these on certain maps can be a problem and I'd like it if the maps that are decided to be held on rotation for the tournament be ones that had no glitching spots to just stop people taking the piss.

I'm all on board for the idea to happen either way.
Juxtas response
Last edited by MrFritz on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

We need this, need.
scrawl
Veterans
Veterans

bullets wrote:
We need this, need.
MrFritz
League Operator
League Operator

Yes I agree, would a fun way to get more activity from the community. Would you guys have any suggestions about the tournament?
Soraboy
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

I like to see the Interest of some of you for the Arena Gamemode here hehe. If this will take Place i finally can die in Peace.
Ballistic
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Arena actually isn't a bad gamemode, I play it every once in a while when I want some fast action.
Gingerninjaperson
League Participant
League Participant

BallisticTactix wrote:
Arena actually isn't a bad gamemode, I play it every once in a while when I want some fast action.
Agree. It can be really fun, but it's very different from the normal CTF, and not what most people are used to. Would like to see how people fare in arena as opposed to CTF, would like to see this happen.
Arkger
League Participant
League Participant

Gingerninjaperson wrote:
BallisticTactix wrote:
Agree. It can be really fun, but it's very different from the normal CTF, and not what most people are used to. Would like to see how people fare in arena as opposed to CTF, would like to see this happen.
Actually, with most people the problem is that Arena is attracting the wrong crowd to AoS in their brains. I don't really care, so let's do it, sounds great.
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

Arena doesn't attract the wrong crowd, it attracts the nicest, except in the case of aloha.pk cs maps, which has the worst community of all servers.
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder

Arena Tournament Rules

Ace of Spades 0.76

Team size is 5 people.

Teams are required to list their core members.

They are required to list at least 5 core members but can choose to list up to 10 core members.

Team members need to use the alias listed when their team registered.

Subbing is allowed, but to participate in a match at least 4 core members from each team must play in the match. Players from the opposing team reserve the right to veto anyone they don’t feel comfortable with.

Spectating is allowed but it is a privilege not a right, server admins reserve the right to remove anyone from spectator for any reason. Teams reserve the right to suggest a spectator be removed from the server as well.

Cheating is not tolerated, if an individual member of a team is caught cheating the entire team could risk elimination. We will review each scenario and determine the best course of action.

Cheating includes but is not limited to the following: purposely glitching the map to create invisible or indestructible blocks, using enlarged player models, aimbots or accuracy hacks, ghosting while in spectate and failing to report ghosting is also considered cheating.

The grenade trick via swapping weapons will not be punished.

It will be a round robin tournament, we will use challonge.com to manage it.

Teams are required to register before the start of the tournament.

The tournament will run for approximately two days doing which your team is responsible for scheduling matches.

Each round will be played until the first team has 15 caps.

Once both teams have joined the server we will force the map to change, team members will have 90 seconds to join before the first round starts. Once the first round starts the match will continue uninterrupted until its conclusion.

After the match concludes we will update challonge.com

The team with the most victories will be declared the winner of the tournament.
Rough draft of the rules. This ruleset would allow us to start asap.
Handles
League Participant
League Participant

Looking forward to this :D
danhezee

We did a nice a test of the script today, everything seemed to go fine, we can basically start whenever now.
Peanut
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Aloha.pk arena top 10 maps has one of the best communities in the game
danhezee

Tomorrow I am going to do some map testing, I heard one or two of the Arena top 10 maps players can toss well timed grenades and kill everyone. We dont want that in this tournament.
bullets
League Participant
League Participant

danhezee wrote:
Tomorrow I am going to do some map testing, I heard one or two of the Arena top 10 maps players can toss well timed grenades and kill everyone. We dont want that in this tournament.
I'm totally not one of the people exploiting that :#
32 posts Page 1 of 3 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”