What was AoS Supposed to be like?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
20 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Arkger
League Participant
League Participant

You know, nowadays people are fighting over the maps and stuff, claiming arena wasn't even supposed to be a part of AoS anyways... so what was it supposed to be? Only slow shooting? Was there not supposed to be an option for fast paced shooting? I really wanna know what direction Ben was going in before, well you know.
Articsledder
Deuced Up

The only person who could really answer that would probabaly be Ben. I don't think it had much of an initial idea beyond what was there in the first few versions, from what I understand it was just a little project he had made to use with friends before it kind of exploded in popularity.
Conduit
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

kill streaks, no building, flat maps, no destruction...
Fleischgeruch
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Vehicles RPGs and kill streaks. Jagex master overlords saved us from this horrible destiny.
Varg

I can't quite say what the general direction Ben had, though I think the game was going in a trench warfare direction and maybe a MG would have been added later on. Or i could be dead wrong and the c=game was going to be run and gun. it's hard to say without Ben here to state the facts
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Does it really matter what is was supposed to be like?
The reason it became popular was because it was a slow-paced WWI-esque shooter. Tactics, rather than skill, dominated the battlefield.
Battlefire

Vezok wrote:
The reason it became popular was because it was a slow-paced WWI-esque shooter. Tactics, rather than skill, dominated the battlefield.
Again WW1 is different from AoS. We don't have something like no men's land in AoS. We only build trenches to advance while having good cover. It's more like WW2 than WW1. WW1 trenches were just there for getting cover and holding a position. Not really using it to dig and advance.

AoS was more like cool maps that people would build useful stuff like bunkers and cool trenches. But now their all flat maps or Arena that's like CoD.
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Battlefire wrote:
Vezok wrote:
Again WW1 is different from AoS. We don't have something like no men's land in AoS. We only build trenches to advance while having good cover. It's more like WW2 than WW1. WW1 trenches were just there for getting cover and holding a position. Not really using it to dig and advance.

AoS was more like cool maps that people would build useful stuff like bunkers and cool trenches. But now their all flat maps or Arena that's like CoD.
Now, because I think that this is quite possibly the dumbest thing written by man, I will repeat myself in the other thread.
the voice of reason wrote:
Wat. The. Fuck.
No.
You just picked apart what I said to the absolute tiniest detail, yet you completely missed the big picture.

The glory days of this game was when there was one weapon. It was called a rifle. People dug trenches and bunkers and other stuff that they could, and then they shot at each other in a very grueling, slow paced, tactical gameplay. This is what I'm referring to. Not some stupid Minecraft-CoD hybrid.
Snipe
Deuced Up

It was meant to be a slow paced trench warfare kind of game from what I can tell. More digging and underground shooting when there were only Gen maps.
JoJoe_Stinky
Mapper
Mapper

Ben was a big fan of Day of Defeat. The sniper rifle is modeled after his favorite DOD gun.

The direction in mapping I was headed for was going to be like Day of defeat, The very first medal of honor, Red Orchestra, and the very first COD games.

Mainly I was going to make blown up places in europe, and major landmarks of the world.

Right before Ben left, we were working on a Taj Mahal map.

I am going to keep on going in the WWII direction. I think Ben would have liked that.
Arkger
League Participant
League Participant

JoJoe_Stinky wrote:
Ben was a big fan of Day of Defeat. The sniper rifle is modeled after his favorite DOD gun.

The direction in mapping I was headed for was going to be like Day of defeat, The very first medal of honor, Red Orchestra, and the very first COD games.

Mainly I was going to make blown up places in europe, and major landmarks of the world.

Right before Ben left, we were working on a Taj Mahal map.

I am going to keep on going in the WWII direction. I think Ben would have liked that.
I would love that too Joe!

Is Ben not able to talk to us, or he just doesn't want too? o_o
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

We're assuming he's under a non disclosure agreement. If that is the case, it would be wise to just avoid BnS in general.
Arkger
League Participant
League Participant

Vezok wrote:
We're assuming he's under a non disclosure agreement. If that is the case, it would be wise to just avoid BnS in general.
Ah, well that does make a lot of sense. I wonder if he will show his face when OpenSpades becomes it own thing. Or maybe he has been stalking these forums as a user this whole time...
CommieBuffalo
Blue Master Race
Blue Master Race

Arkger wrote:
Vezok wrote:
Ah, well that does make a lot of sense. I wonder if he will show his face when OpenSpades becomes it own thing. Or maybe he has been stalking these forums as a user this whole time...
inb4 VLAD01 WAS BEN ALL ALONG BAM PLOT TWIST
Commando_Ghost
Modder
Modder

Arkger wrote:
Vezok wrote:
You have to admit, that sounds a bit generic.
20 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”