Updating the Pyspades protocol to the 1.0 alpha1 protocol.

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
70 posts Page 3 of 5 First unread post
Shia LaBeouf
Deuced Up

you should be fucking sincerely grateful that i found this game
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

LeCom wrote:
The "nobody wants to play it" problem would be above all of them, and will be the reason why this won't become more than a very interesting hobby side project.
that's okay, I don't expect much to come out of it.

It's a fun project (but my implementation is still shitty someonepleasehelpme).
longbyte1 wrote:
1. you don't even know who owns the 1.0 alpha IP, you're putting yourself in a huge world of hurt if Jagex ever finds out, they might not have money for games but they sure as heck have money for lawyers
there's no mention of any copyright holders at all for the alphas. hell if i know if that makes a difference. either way, it's not like i'm distributing a modified version of the client, it's just a server.

if anything, i'd be more worried about mat^2, but he said to "have fun with it"
longbyte1
Deuced Up

10se1ucgo wrote:
there's no mention of any copyright holders at all for the alphas. hell if i know if that makes a difference. either way, it's not like i'm distributing a modified version of the client, it's just a server.

when mat^2 developed the alpha, for all we know he claims copyright over it. BUT we're pretty sure he got hired by jagex so when get got hired guess what he signed a contract saying "blahblahblah gimme everything u own related to aos >.< sign here x____________x"

there is a spy among us oooooooh who could it be could it be you could it be me
who could it be

I don't know who could it

not me definitely

I mean I should be working on world-changing algos right now but instead I'm chained here posting in this dirtpile of a forum talking about a game where you shoot people in the face and experience br spam all day and watch people rage hard and set fire to their computers cuz they couldn't win a game of ben aksoy's minecraft fortress 2 normandy edition

yeah we could definitely do something with these wasted braincycles. I wonder what though....
hmmm analyze human behavior in a game where you shoot people in the face and experience br spam all day and watch people rage hard and set fire to their computers cuz they couldn't win a game of ben aksoy's minecraft fortress 2 normandy edition, so you can tune an AI?
hmmmmmmmmm that sounds like an okay idea but nahh
Kuunikal
Deuced Up

longbyte1 wrote:
10se1ucgo wrote:

when mat^2 developed the alpha, for all we know he claims copyright over it.
He didnt claim it. When I first told him that 10se1ucgo was developing off of it, he didn't care.
Last edited by Kuunikal on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Kuunikal wrote:
he didnt claim it, when i first told him that 10se1ucgo was developing off of it he didnt care
means nothing

example: valve doesn't care what people do with their stuff, even if it's taking tf2 ragdolls and humping them against each other, but doesn't mean they don't hold copyright over it, it's just they decide not to exercise their rights to take something down, cuz hey praise gaben praise steam discounts
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

longbyte1 wrote:
Kuunikal wrote:
he didnt claim it, when i first told him that 10se1ucgo was developing off of it he didnt care
means nothing

example: valve doesn't care what people do with their stuff, even if it's taking tf2 ragdolls and humping them against each other, but doesn't mean they don't hold copyright over it, it's just they decide not to exercise their rights to take something down, cuz hey praise gaben praise steam discounts
So what you're saying is that they won't chase after me? Yeah, problem solved then, stop being such a buzzkill.
Shia LaBeouf
Deuced Up

i will protect you 10se
i want to protect your smile
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Kuunikal wrote:
if we migrate to 1.0 and rebrand then we can make updates
We have Iceball and we can make better updates.

By we I actually mean me and a bunch of devs, and none of the pricks on here who say "we" as a means of soft begging and going "see? AoS isn't dying after all, because there's totally potential for this, and not because I'm willing to do anything because I'm not, let's ignore the fact that I won't actually find someone to pass the buck onto who will actually give a shit about my stupid ideas".

Main point of getting the 1.0 alpha protocol version working is it's an interesting piece of history. Another point of course is it may turn out to be notably less shit than 0.75... ah who am I kidding, it *will* turn out to be notably less shit.
MrFritz
League Operator
League Operator

wow. cool. awesome.

*goes no where and rips*
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
Kuunikal wrote:
if we migrate to 1.0 and rebrand then we can make updates
We have Iceball and we can make better updates.
Main point of getting the 1.0 alpha protocol version working is it's an interesting piece of history. Another point of course is it may turn out to be notably less shit than 0.75... ah who am I kidding, it *will* turn out to be notably less shit.
This is very impressive work and you should be proud of it. Its a shame that we can't really add content to it because of copyright. I wonder what the rights would cost, use the BnS/Aloha funds to buy rights to the game? Iceball seems to be a viable solution to our current situation. The presentation isn't really there right now but it feels stable and the ability to actually add content can keep the game from becoming stale.

Personally I view Ace of Spades as a minecraft inspired sandbox. With minecraft you can do so many things like mod, make texture packs, maps, etc. You have the freedom to create and learn lots of.. things such as coding, art, and level design. Ace of Spades allows you to do something similar. Gun skins can introduce you to 3D model making and server scripts can show you what its like to code. However unlike minecraft we are heavily limited in what we can do. While I have enjoyed the game tremendously and feel it has helped shape my character and personality, I don't think we will see the support or numbers we had in our earlier days.
Spoiler:
Shia LaBeouf
Deuced Up

YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
longbyte1
Deuced Up

....Jdrew? You're alive?
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

People never learn.
10se1ucgo