RE: "Ideas For Saving A Dying, But Loved, Game"

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
61 posts Page 3 of 5 First unread post
longbyte1
Deuced Up

10se1ucgo wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/fBB9Uzx.png
Link is broken.
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

longbyte1 wrote:
10se1ucgo wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/fBB9Uzx.png
Link is broken.
Sorry.

Eimis
League Champs
League Champs

1.0 u mean the jagex version?
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Nah, I believe the one that had 3 weapons + hmg + rockets. The never released one.
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Eimis wrote:
1.0 u mean the jagex version?
The builds mat^2 was working on before Jagex took over.

These videos should give you a sense of what state they were in:
LeCom

Client-side Python? Have fun with Lag&Hack
Besides, this is almost worse than hacking AoS law-wise cause, well, who has the rights and all this shit?
Argonaut
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

I'll be quick with this: ditch the shitty 24/7 hallway servers and have the playerbase move to the next big server. As impossible as that is to actually implement, it has to be the biggest gripe I have with the community in the fact that they won't move on from this shitty unoriginal map that isn't even a good staple one the game is often associated with, ala de_dust2 for CSGO or Blood gulch for Halo.

I've played a greater variety of original maps a couple of years ago compared to today, such as D-Day invasions and large city maps. Now it seems littered with just babel on samey islands or 24/7 hallway.

In addition, I see the ease of just sticking with 0.75 for modifications by anyone as a potential reason why those in the community would not be bothered to move on if most aspects of this simple voxel shooter can be adjusted, with server game modes accommodating for extended gameplay. It seems this way to me by anything that is remotely compatible or related with Ace of Spades classic, as most of the "forks" seem to have disappeared into inactivity or lovely, engaging private backrooms. Just who the hell can be bothered to shift their weight behind something with a few more promising but limited features if their "Ace of spades+" needs seperate servers when to get the same experience, 80% of the fork is already available to play?

This is all garnered from dropping in and out of this place over the years, but I think what most people can gather is a lack of clear direction when it was needed a few years back which then would only sow the seeds of defeat for future projects with a less active and willing userbase. I'll probs spend the last days of this game porting weapons to OpenSpades to atleast make what's left feel fresh.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Argonaut wrote:
I'll be quick with this: ditch the shitty 24/7 hallway servers and have the playerbase move to the next big server.
Not enough, ditch the whole fucking engine.
Argonaut wrote:
In addition, I see the ease of just sticking with 0.75 for modifications by anyone as a potential reason why those in the community would not be bothered to move on if most aspects of this simple voxel shooter can be adjusted
You cannot fix the rifle spread without modifying the client.
Argonaut wrote:
This is all garnered from dropping in and out of this place over the years, but I think what most people can gather is a lack of clear direction when it was needed a few years back which then would only sow the seeds of defeat for future projects with a less active and willing userbase.
Want some direction? Find some friends and play Iceball. At least if the engine source code somehow disappears you can pretty much replace the whole entire game. There we go.
Argonaut

Marisa Kirisame wrote:
Argonaut wrote:
I'll be quick with this: ditch the shitty 24/7 hallway servers and have the playerbase move to the next big server.
Not enough, ditch the whole fucking engine.
Argonaut wrote:
In addition, I see the ease of just sticking with 0.75 for modifications by anyone as a potential reason why those in the community would not be bothered to move on if most aspects of this simple voxel shooter can be adjusted
You cannot fix the rifle spread without modifying the client.
Argonaut wrote:
This is all garnered from dropping in and out of this place over the years, but I think what most people can gather is a lack of clear direction when it was needed a few years back which then would only sow the seeds of defeat for future projects with a less active and willing userbase.
Want some direction? Find some friends and play Iceball. At least if the engine source code somehow disappears you can pretty much replace the whole entire game. There we go.
Typing with aggravation doesn't really get this conversation anywhere, it's obvious what sense I used 'direction' in (to describe a collective community direction) and saying 'go play a fork' or 'ditch the whole engine and start again' seems like lofty and pointless statements to make when all that is possible now is adaption to what little we have left.

Neither do I think that inadvertently calling the rifle spread conclusively 'broken' for it to require a fix is accurate to the general views once held here. If it was, I'm sure even in the early days some significant talk would happen around it.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Why are you piggybacking off the BnS forums trying to get people to play this so-called "better AoS"? If Iceball really is worth playing then it will grow a community of its own and people will naturally be attracted to it. What I am asking of you is to stop shoving Iceball in people's faces. Thank you.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

longbyte1 wrote:
Why are you piggybacking off the BnS forums trying to get people to play this so-called "better AoS"? If Iceball really is worth playing then it will grow a community of its own and people will naturally be attracted to it. What I am asking of you is to stop shoving Iceball in people's faces. Thank you.
While I do think we need to tone it down a bit, IceBall has the ability to be our new chance. With that in mind I don't think we should be discouraging any amount of publicity. If IceBall can take off then we can finally have the game we once talked about before everything happened, or at least something close.
LeCom

Argonaut wrote:
Typing with aggravation doesn't really get this conversation anywhere, it's obvious what sense I used 'direction' in (to describe a collective community direction) and saying 'go play a fork' or 'ditch the whole engine and start again' seems like lofty and pointless statements to make when all that is possible now is adaption to what little we have left.

Neither do I think that inadvertently calling the rifle spread conclusively 'broken' for it to require a fix is accurate to the general views once held here. If it was, I'm sure even in the early days some significant talk would happen around it.
Another one of these guys that want to cling with everything available on to the current game. You're coming too late man, BnS did this last year and it failed horribly. Soon there will be more servers than players.
longbyte1 wrote:
Why are you piggybacking off the BnS forums trying to get people to play this so-called "better AoS"? If Iceball really is worth playing then it will grow a community of its own and people will naturally be attracted to it.
Basically the opposite. Exactly the same BS always came from aloha whenever I tried to push something. Even izzy itself said the same argument to me once. What GM does might be slightly annoying to some, but it's perfectly reasonable. The only thing to discuss here is whether IB is actually much better than AoS.
Argonaut

LeCom wrote:
Argonaut wrote:

Another one of these guys that want to cling with everything available on to the current game. You're coming too late man, BnS did this last year and it failed horribly. Soon there will be more servers than players.
That's not correct at all, I would happily move and/or try out similar variants of AoS like Iceball as I have done, but what I've posted is, in my opinion, is what best can be done with the current situation where nothing is moving forward. I'm more of a glass half-full person when it comes to something like this, so whether that can be interpreted as clinging I don't know.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:
We're on IRC: irc://irc.fractiongamers.com/iceball
We also have a subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/iceball/

We basically don't give a shit about this place anymore.

Please note that by the nature of it being IRC you should stick around for at least an hour when you ask a question, and "hello?" is not a question, and nor is "is anybody here?". Ask the question that you are actually asking.
Neither does this attitude help to instill any interest in wonderful new forks when you're huddled into a IRC backroom where people are best seen and not heard. Smacks of entitlement to be honest.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

longbyte1 wrote:
Why are you piggybacking off the BnS forums trying to get people to play this so-called "better AoS"?
Because I'm slightly bored and someone's complaining and suggesting that we pretty much do nothing other than get rid of the hallway servers despite the fact that the most popular server as of late is aloha.pk tower of babel. So I'm suggesting something that would actually work if people were willing to put in some effort to get behind it instead of just faffing about and complaining and making suggestions that are tried and true ways to not improve anything at all.
longbyte1 wrote:
If Iceball really is worth playing then it will grow a community of its own and people will naturally be attracted to it.
longbyte1 wrote:
If VoxelWar really is worth playing then it will grow a community of its own and people will naturally be attracted to it.
longbyte1 wrote:
If PowerThirst really is worth playing then it will grow a community of its own and people will naturally be attracted to it.
longbyte1 wrote:
If whatever ByteBit's thing is called really is worth playing then it will grow a community of its own and people will naturally be attracted to it.
And this is why BnS is doomed.

Oh and this too:

LeCom wrote:
Even izzy itself said the same argument to me once.
And that's fucking rich coming from someone who piggybacked off a game which had already gathered an established playerbase.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Then BnS is doomed. You pointed it out yourself. There's no problem to solve anymore, we're just making somewhat related voxel shooters people might be interested in. Evidently you found that none of those games turned out to be worth playing. It's out of your control. If it dies, it dies; and if it lives, it lives.
61 posts Page 3 of 5 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”