RE: "Ideas For Saving A Dying, But Loved, Game"

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
61 posts Page 2 of 5 First unread post
Arcinius
Deuce

Zekamalikyd wrote:
Given enough time, I will always "win". The game will, eventually, truly die out.
I honestly don't want to "win". I loved this community, but it won't come back in any way other than this dying form. The game, even if more fleshed out, probably won't be enough to bring it back, and to go beyond what was there back then.
The efforts need to be moved to a reincarnation of AoS that isn't related to it or BnS other than being a spiritual successor.
Now THAT is an opinion I can respect. In many way I agree with you, but I like to hold onto the 1% chances is some situations. I love this game to the point where I'm willing to do a great deal, if not to the game, then to what's left of the community.
LeCom

Well I DID say you wouldn't give a fuck ;)
EDIT: You really should work with this guy http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13996
Arcinius
Deuce

LeCom wrote:
Well I DID say you wouldn't give a fuck ;)
EDIT: You really should work with this guy http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13996
Well... at least he seems... passionate...
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up

Well shit, making more Babel maps is actually one of the better ideas I've seen. Still doesn't fix the elephant in the room, but at least this effort can transfer to an engine that isn't fucked.

I wasn't talking about a specific engine, as all the ones that are worth considering support the *.vxl format.

I *will* point out, however, that Iceball is currently being worked on again.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Oh wow and I didn't even notice BnS has its own subreddit that isn't another rotting hole in the ground.
Arcinius
Deuce

kmaj wrote:
Arcinius wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm reposting my reddit post
Stopped reading there.
xD fair enough.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Arcinius wrote:
Thank you for adding nothing to the conversation. You didn't answer my post with relevancy and you made assumptions about me and my intents that have no place in this thread. Kindly depart from this discussion on the future of THIS game and move on to a post about other games, which, frankly, I have no interest in.

"Well, now you probably couldn't give less of a fuck about the reasons themselves I guess" Jesus Christ...
LeCom is right, you know.
This game is too simple. I'm not saying that the slow gameplay is bad --- it is wayyy better than what Jagex farted out.
It's just that beyond basic mechanics, there is nothing more left to it. Three weapons? Are you fucking kidding me? Not saying that we need a shitload of weapons, but three weapons can't represent the weaponry you can have. And after you finish talking about weapons, there isn't much left to talk about, that's how simple this game is.
Oh, wait, there's also strategy in digging/building, but that's straightforward too, plus with those guns and huge head hitzone building doesn't really matter much.
Last edited by Chameleon on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Maybe if you could rename Iceball to something more catchy people wouldn't give you a bad look. Call Iceball the engine, not the game.
Zekamalikyd
Modder
Modder

icey balls
Monstarules
Organizer
Organizer

I just saw this topic. Much as I love AoS, it is going to die. Unless PewDiePie or some other famous youtube user does a playthrough of 0.75/0.76, this game is probably going to be dead by the end of 2017. It's had a nice and long run. I've played since 0.2x although I never joined forums until just before 0.76 was released. We need to focus on a new game, such as making OpenSpades into something completely different from AceOfSpades. Paratrooper on Aloha.pk has made a functioning grenade launcher in the game. Doctor Dank has made the minimap have the tracers on it. There are active modders for it. In short, OpenSpades currently holds a tiny bit of hope. If we snatched it up, we could do something. Other projects like VoxelWar do have hope as well, but I think we are lacking in support for msot of those. Making OpenSpades a standalone game might be alright. It is open source and is the best developed as far as any of the other games that we are developing. To boot it is also compatable with familiar formats like .kv6 and .vxl(which I have my own gripe about), which is a bonus.

Now as far as making it into it's own game, it would be interesting. It wouldn't have that same "runs on your grandma's rig" feel but most of the laptop processors with the processing power of an Intel i3 can run it on decent enough settings. Additionally most of the current laptops that you can get cheaply today have at least an i5; it wouldn't be too much of an issue. It is open source, which is excellent, and if we all developed it into it's own game, we would probably have more success. We have coders who can make different weapon classes. We have coders who can make weapon attachments. I'm not for making this into Battlefield: AoS or Roblox though and we all definitely DO NOT want to turn this into Jagex's AoS. We also have other issues, such as the .vxl map being VERY limited in size. We would probably have to use some other map type. I don't know about you, but I've always felt as if the AoS maps are too small. However, as far as I am concerned, the .kv6 is a fine format for characters, guns, map opjects and even vehicles if we wanted to add them. Thoughts? I want to see what your opinions are.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Monstarules wrote:
We need to focus on a new game, such as making OpenSpades into something completely different from AceOfSpades.
How about making OpenSpades back into AceOfSpades and then expanding it? Because OS has way too much eyecandy and is definitely missing the old feel of AoS.
But this whole point is a bit wrong, as OS isn't the perfect engine to build a lasting game on.
I could do a better FPS game on Warzone 2100 engine.
Monstarules wrote:
If we snatched OS up, we could do something. Other projects like VoxelWar do have hope as well, but I think we are lacking in support for most of those.
I'm sorry, but I see this viewpoint on forums a lot and I believe it is wrong in a couple places:
If "support" could be replaced by "player base", then lack of players isn't a reason to stop developing. No game ever went from 0% to 100% overnight, no player base for any free/opensource game ever went from 0% to 100% overnight either.
Monstarules wrote:
We have coders who can make different weapon classes. We have coders who can make weapon attachments.
My OS version has different weapons/tools for each team. Which was quite a pain in the ass to do. Attachments... same.

tl;dr forget about OS
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Chameleon wrote:
Monstarules wrote:
We need to focus on a new game, such as making OpenSpades into something completely different from AceOfSpades.
How about making OpenSpades back into AceOfSpades and then expanding it? Because OS has way too much eyecandy and is definitely missing the old feel of AoS.
But this whole point is a bit wrong, as OS isn't the perfect engine to build a lasting game on.
I could do a better FPS game on Warzone 2100 engine.
Monstarules wrote:
If we snatched OS up, we could do something. Other projects like VoxelWar do have hope as well, but I think we are lacking in support for most of those.
I'm sorry, but I see this viewpoint on forums a lot and I believe it is wrong in a couple places:
If "support" could be replaced by "player base", then lack of players isn't a reason to stop developing. No game ever went from 0% to 100% overnight, no player base for any free/opensource game ever went from 0% to 100% overnight either.
Monstarules wrote:
We have coders who can make different weapon classes. We have coders who can make weapon attachments.
My OS version has different weapons/tools for each team. Which was quite a pain in the ass to do. Attachments... same.

tl;dr forget about OS
kys

but agreed in the tl;dr

we should move to the alpha builds of aos 1.0
LeFizzy
Deuced Up

We should move back to 2012,and force Ben Aksoy to keep this game. /Back to the Future/
Two problems should be fixed => no_fagex_rights, no_buildthenshit.
Eimis
League Champs
League Champs

I honestly have no idea why people are still discussing this. Ben sold this game to jagex, thats when everything went to shit. After that we had no one who was working on AoS or keeping it up to date. Eventually everyone got bored and left. The only way to raise the numbers would be for someone to get the AoS source code (hint: impossible) and seriously start to work on this game. Im sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear but its the reality.
10se1ucgo
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Eimis wrote:
I honestly have no idea why people are still discussing this. Ben sold this game to jagex, thats when everything went to shit. After that we had no one who was working on AoS or keeping it up to date. Eventually everyone got bored and left. The only way to raise the numbers would be for someone to get the AoS source code (hint: impossible) and seriously start to work on this game. Im sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear but its the reality.
That's only partly true. It's possible to get some parts of the 1.0 alpha build, e.g. http://i.imgur.com/fBB9Uzx.png

Also, we don't even need the source code, OpenSpades supports 0.75/0.76 just fine.

I might look into seeing how hard it would be to implement the 1.0a1 protocol into OS.
61 posts Page 2 of 5 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”