What Next?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
45 posts Page 1 of 3
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm


ok so we bought ace-spades.com.

What are we gonna do next? How long do we have till we can take the name back?
Alphajim
Deuced Up
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 8:31 pm


As JAGEX hasn't sold AoS rights we can't update classic versions... I think ^^'
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 pm


Let's help build up Iceball.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm


bloodfox wrote:
ok so we bought ace-spades.com.

What are we gonna do next? How long do we have till we can take the name back?
Prove that you bought it by shoving on a page that doesn't make it look like it was cybersquatted. Then we can discuss it.
longbyte1
Deuced Up
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:27 pm


Marisa Kirisame wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
ok so we bought ace-spades.com.

What are we gonna do next? How long do we have till we can take the name back?
Prove that you bought it by shoving on a page that doesn't make it look like it was cybersquatted. Then we can discuss it.
If it was cybersquatted there would already be contact information to buy it. Wouldn't take very long to make a web page saying "contact me if you want to buy website for $1000000"
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm


Articsledder
Deuced Up
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:13 pm


randomly checked on this website today, figured this is a good time/place to remind people this exists:

http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=13030

not sure how things have changed and I'm mostly coding-illiterate so I have no idea what it would take to run it but I remember this having potential back in the day
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm


longbyte1 wrote:
If it was cybersquatted there would already be contact information to buy it. Wouldn't take very long to make a web page saying "contact me if you want to buy website for $1000000"
There's still no evidence that we bought it. So we can't do anything with it at this stage.
Articsledder wrote:
not sure how things have changed and I'm mostly coding-illiterate so I have no idea what it would take to run it but I remember this having potential back in the day
Should be a drop-in replacement for 0.75 with backwards compat, although some people got shitty at the drop shadowed text.

Honestly, it would be better if OpenSpades adopted a similar protocol extension and we went with that upgrade path. I'm actually pretty sick of the voxlap engine as it stands and really do not want to have to be the unfortunate bastard chipping away at assembly code and adding in more hooks just because some dumbarse apparently can't afford a computer that can run OS but can afford the latest CoD installment with a slightly more realistic looking dog, even though there are computers that can run OS which are cheaper than that shit.
Kuunikal
Deuced Up
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:37 pm


Marisa Kirisame wrote:
There's still no evidence that we bought it. So we can't do anything with it at this stage.
It's not like izzy would just announce that 'it's in our hands' now for no reason. If he didn't buy it, he wouldn't have posted that, probably.
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm


A whois query reveals that dropcatch stole it. Faggots.

AFAIK izzy uses 1and1 to register stuff.

More info on that sort of shit here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_drop_catching

It may be possible to pay Jagex to get the domain name back and hand it over to here, if they're interested. Would be a bit of a nuisance to get contact to reach the right people in the right timeframe though.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm


And how much does jagex want us to pay for it judging by how greedy those faggots are?
Marisa Kirisame
Deuced Up
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:52 pm


bloodfox wrote:
And how much does jagex want us to pay for it judging by how greedy those faggots are?
Not as greedy as the faggots who botted the domain.
longbyte1
Deuced Up
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:27 pm


Marisa Kirisame wrote:
bloodfox wrote:
And how much does jagex want us to pay for it judging by how greedy those faggots are?
Not as greedy as the faggots who botted the domain.
Erm, you are aware that DropCatch has to be initiated by somebody, right? It doesn't catch whenever it feels like it, somebody has to actually backorder the domain for DropCatch to actually catch it, and the service costs money (about $50). In this case, more than one person backordered it so it went up for auction. Blame the scalpers who roam about DropCatch with their bots, buy the domains, and then sell them back for hundreds more, not DropCatch itself.
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:11 am


why is it so important to have this domain anyway ?
MrFritz
League Operator
League Operator
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 am


Priok wrote:
why is it so important to have this domain anyway ?
it's the original domain to the original forum before Jagex bought out Ace of Spades.
45 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests