What's going on?

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
101 posts Page 2 of 7
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm


People hate freeaim. we should set up an older version servers. Something like 0.54
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:11 am


The free aim is a bit weird right now, but I think it can be improved with some work and would be fine. The mod is very basic now, but later on it could be something really good and different if development continues

and yeah, hosting older versions is a cool idea too. Personally I don't see too much appeal in that, but it'd be cool as a game night type of thing. I don't think it'd work to always be online(since 0.76 never really caught on) but we could try it.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:41 pm


Priok wrote:
Also I wanted to say that I like what Chameleon is doing with his Openspades mod. I don't know how viable it would be to try to transition to that at some point, but it might be a good thing to consider later on.
hmmm if people don't consider it as a complete failure, then maybe I will come back to it later on or do something similar elsewhere.
kmaj
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm


I'm amazed at how long it's taking for AoS to die.
LeCom
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 8:07 am


There isn't even anything to support for BnS. AoS isn't really being played anymore, every day it's a random arena or hallway server getting a few players, and that's it. aloha.pk babel is the only server that is 32/32 all the time, but the whole server is so shitty that there's no actual reason why it's so popular, probably either its fame or the fact that aloha.pk has some more people who play there. Even kraken stays 0/32 all the time, even though it used to be constantly 32/32 for months 1-2 years ago. Saying that BnS should go for OpenSpades or 0.76 or supporting is ignorant because they have no future, not even a close one.
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades
Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm


It's true that 0.75 and 0.76 versions don't get nearly as much players as they've been getting before. Only thing that would boost the popularity and bring back many old players would be releasing a whole new game, or at least an update with more features such as scripts or new gamemodes. And that would need advertisements, a campaign that would spread the word about the game.

On the other hand, when Hallway Gone wrong server started (yes it is hallway but with new scripts) it was getting players regularly and it was full about 4-5 days a week at some point. I'm not saying that this will save Aos but it's something. So it is a good idea to create a Bns game server. It should've been here 2 years ago but maybe it's not too late yet.

Another problem is getting the forum members active again and bring back the 'drama'. That will be even harder and it will take much more time, since even jdrew left this community. If there will be some announcements, newsletters or events, someone will definitely notice that.
Priok
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:11 am


Chameleon wrote:
Priok wrote:
Also I wanted to say that I like what Chameleon is doing with his Openspades mod. I don't know how viable it would be to try to transition to that at some point, but it might be a good thing to consider later on.
hmmm if people don't consider it as a complete failure, then maybe I will come back to it later on or do something similar elsewhere.
I think if you advertised it as its own thing, away from this forum, you might have more success building a small playerbase. I don't think a lot of people left here like the slower gameplay of older versions of AoS, so your mod doesn't appeal to them. Also this forum is pretty much dead at this point and has been on decline for a while, I don't think it's a good idea to advertise here only.

Really it's up to you entirely what you do with it, but I think your mod has lots of potential. I haven't found any voxel FPS that plays like the older versions of AoS did, all of them are more CQC based, which is fine that people like that, but to me it doesn't fit well with large voxels. This mod could really play well though, so I hope you continue it or make something like it at some point
LeCom
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 8:07 am


Dare[AoS] wrote:
It's true that 0.75 and 0.76 versions don't get nearly as much players as they've been getting before. Only thing that would boost the popularity and bring back many old players would be releasing a whole new game, or at least an update with more features such as scripts or new gamemodes. And that would need advertisements, a campaign that would spread the word about the game.

On the other hand, when Hallway Gone wrong server started (yes it is hallway but with new scripts) it was getting players regularly and it was full about 4-5 days a week at some point. I'm not saying that this will save Aos but it's something. So it is a good idea to create a Bns game server. It should've been here 2 years ago but maybe it's not too late yet.

Another problem is getting the forum members active again and bring back the 'drama'. That will be even harder and it will take much more time, since even jdrew left this community. If there will be some announcements, newsletters or events, someone will definitely notice that.
The [GONE ...] project (including both Goon Haven and hallway) had mediocre success for 1-2 weeks, but then went rip again. The admin then did the bot count on server list thing and got immediately banned. I am guessing that they consider aloha babel their "official BnS server" because it's their own, and therefore won't make a community one or allow the community to set up it on its own.

We do still have "drama", as you call it, but it turned into retarded shitposting. The niveau of that crap is far below normal people's standards, which pisses off a lot of new guys.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:41 pm


What you people say is true.
AoS won't last long.
People play only hallway/babel.
My mod isn't appealing to CQC people.
And forums deteriorated to shitposting.

I would also like to point out that my mod isn't going to outnumber/outlast OS/AoS, even if I continue it with 100% freetime. OS is buggy af, netcode issues still poking trough, huge dl size... I believe I should give LeCom's engine a shot when it's a bit closer to being done - reload crash isn't a feature :)
I'm not working on nlc, cause I'm kinda busy IRL, kinda feeling shitty for almost no apparent reason (stress over exams? fuck knows), etc. etc. etc.
Blondie
Deuce
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:38 am


If we could build a community of 20-30 people, BnS could be alive once more. That's enough for small clan wars, active threads, and an active IRC channel. I'm willing to help out with any administrative / moderating opportunities if anyone so desires. I'm an oldie that was on the second incarnation of the forums back in '12. Kommies forever.

Chameleon, I think your OS mod could potentially revive the BnS community. You've got something special going on there.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm


20-30 people is still a severely small number, though.
Blondie
Deuce
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:38 am


bloodfox wrote:
20-30 people is still a severely small number, though.
Agreed. How are we going to get more people on the forum anyway?
Chameleon
Modder
Modder
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:41 pm


Blondie wrote:
Kommies forever.
Oh hey, a Komrade! (that was the clan name, right?) Nice
bloodfox wrote:
20-30 people is still a severely small number, though.
Also if we implement a mediocre AI, the game can keep on existing even with 5 players. I still play Infiltration 2.9 CE, even though it is at least 5 years totally dead (hasn't been very much alive back then, too). Just that it has some nice AI that doesn't suck too much.
[DI]Dwin
League Champs
League Champs
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:32 pm


Chameleon wrote:
Blondie wrote:
Kommies forever.
Oh hey, a Komrade! (that was the clan name, right?) Nice
he wasn't a member of Komrade tho
Blondie
Deuce
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:38 am


[DI]Dwin wrote:
Chameleon wrote:
Blondie wrote:
Kommies forever.
Oh hey, a Komrade! (that was the clan name, right?) Nice
he wasn't a member of Komrade tho
Ahem.

http://tryimg.com/image/Rq1B9
Last edited by Blondie on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
101 posts Page 2 of 7
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests