What Can We Do

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
143 posts Page 4 of 10 First unread post
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

LeCom wrote:
I started writing a basic client in Dlang and a server in Python (performance critical stuff will be moved to C). The client will use renderer modules, so we can switch between SW, OpenGL, PND3D and Voxlap.
Pretty cool, but, sadly, we will have to be patient :)

I am interested in IB because every server can be a quite different game.
OS is similar to this, but a)server doesn't check assets b)you can script gun appearance only.
Is your engine going to support some kind of scripting? Something like Lua/AngelScript, but with Dlang instead?
I can't really say if we should have scripting. Or if we shouldn't have. Idk.

Also, I am thinking of... a kinda smooth map? If we make a mesh out of adjacent blocks. Like a single triangle's three points would be from three adjacent cube's centers. And then, to render the mesh made out of triangles, you convert triangles to sprites.
It's getting late, I'll draw a pic of that tomorrow.
LeCom

Scripting will be server-side. My concept is to make the engine very flexible and to add many ways to do stuff client-side without having actual scripts.
The client will have renderer modules that you can just swap. I can also write a module that loads a renderer .dll or .so file I think. For smooth terrain, there's map interpolation. When raycasting, you simply interpolate the height and color instead of rendering a cube. Again, this means you have to use a raycaster.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

let's do this on an actual thread.
backwardsbash
Deuce

Hooooly cow, this thread blew up. Yeah, I suggest you move onto an actual thread. It's awesome that this thread sparked something! Green_BigSmile Green_BigSmile Green_BigSmile Green_BigSmile
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

backwardsbash wrote:
Hooooly cow, this thread blew up. Yeah, I suggest you move onto an actual thread. It's awesome that this thread sparked something! Green_BigSmile Green_BigSmile Green_BigSmile Green_BigSmile
We have something, but what we need is a plan. Lets organize this something into something with a plan.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Yes, constructive Lincent is back! c:
longbyte1
Deuced Up

anyone feel like registering #aosofthefuture with Q?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

sure? we're also using slack, though. It sucks though imo
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Lincent wrote:
Lets organize this something into something with a plan.
Alrighty then.
1) Those who know how to code the performance-critical parts will code the basic engine/renderer. LeCom, Bytebit, Longbyte etc.?
2) Code in some basic stuff. Semi-auto rifle, SMG, tent, intel - to test the engine, to add basic gameplay etc.
3) Add GUI - simple pop-up window with mouse control and buttons will do.
4) Add a couple more weapons, refine gameplay (like drunkcam, freeaim - but server-controlled).
5) Once we have something working without bugs, expand the engine a bit. Like collision with .kv6 models (no camping inside the tent!), .kv6 model damage, basic (and not OP) vehicles that have mediocre physics, paradrop etc.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Hello People,

Been a long time since I saw a glimpse of hope for AoS. I haven't played OS for months, but this really does interest me.

Also been a long time since I made Mods or Sounds or GUI etc, but that can change.
Happy to help in any way that I can, in IRL I am really busy, but would like to be involved I could be of any use.

Here's to the future!
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Well... What we'll need in some point in the future are going to be GPL-compatible sounds for weapons, footsteps etc.
That's IMO the hardest thing to do unless you are an audio wizard with paid software.
But I don't need many sounds, because I can make rifle and HMG use same sounds, just with a bit different length and effects. Also it is possible to randomize pitch for automatic weapon sounds.
Warp
Green Master Race
Green Master Race

Chameleon wrote:
Well... What we'll need in some point in the future are going to be GPL-compatible sounds for weapons, footsteps etc.
That's IMO the hardest thing to do unless you are an audio wizard with paid software.
But I don't need many sounds, because I can make rifle and HMG use same sounds, just with a bit different length and effects. Also it is possible to randomize pitch for automatic weapon sounds.
There used to be a website called http://freefirearmsfx.com/, that had sounds that anyone could use for anything, now the site is down :(

However, I found the files still sitting on my PC, so I will get a link as soon as I can upload them.

EDIT: http://www.stillnorthmedia.com/firearm- ... brary.html

They changed the URL.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Cool stuff. Will keep on my HDD
LeCom thinks about biplanes, just FYI...
longbyte1
Deuced Up

bloodfox wrote:
sure? we're also using slack, though. It sucks though imo
I PM'd ByteBit but he hasn't even seen the PM.. Anyone else with invite privileges?
ByteBit
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

I'm really sorry longbyte I totally forgot signing in to check my messages. I just sent you the invitation Green_tongue

I feel so bad rn
143 posts Page 4 of 10 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”