What Can We Do

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
143 posts Page 1 of 10 First unread post
backwardsbash
Deuce

before I start:

1. *i use bad words*
2. im from the 1.x forums

what can we do that can revive this game again?
i know it's dying. dont call me a fucking newfag. ive been playing for a LONG time.
what can we do to keep this game from going anymore downhill
why does nobody care about this game anymore
what is the point of moping around and complaining instead of taking action
why dont we try to contact ben
why dont we at least TRY to act less depressed about this forum
why are we letting this happen
we are letting a free to play game that has so much potential die
we need to work together
somehow
idk how
but we have to
or rip aos forever
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

>what....revive this game again?
can't get it on steam, so I don't know. the reason why we can't get it on steam is because Jagex already has aos on steam. That's why we should rely on VXW by lecom or iceball by greasemonkey. The problem is they also need to get on steam, too. Steam is our only hope currently. Tbh I'm not as thrilled for iceball as VXW.... I just see that VXW has more potential, but, Lecom isn't releasing it till he can work with Ken Silverman's new voxlap sequel called PND3D, which is a hell lot better than of Voxlap. (Plus the cubes also have a more solid look to them) Ken abandoned PND3D but I emailed Ken personally and I got this:
> .. PND3D .. what's stopping you from releasing it?
The main reason would be laziness. The next reason would be a lack of interest in supporting it. Then there are worries that people would just rip it off.
> .. is it finished or does it still need some improvements before being released?
A project is never really finished, however PND3D is probably far enough along to make a complete game with it with no modifications needed on my part. My main disappointments with the engine were slow mod speed - especially when using the GPU - and the fact that some of the functions (especially relating to mod and rendering) were very complicated and therefore hard to modify, if I ever wanted to do so.
Yes, I should just release it. I believe that you and LeCom could do great things with it.
Ken S.
>why does nobody care.....
Truth is, I still care about this game, some people do, like Chameleon, (which is why he's trying to improve the crap out of) but we need to move away from AoS and go for stuff like VXW and IB.
>what is the point of moping around ....
lol. Reason why: Not enough of coders here, and, no advertisement. Plus, people who have tried to upgrade or make new games that are successors to aos just have better things to do than to fix a horrible community like us. Example: Willy and Topo, Mat^2, GM and etc.
>why dont we try to con...
idk. Ik that he can't work on AoS cause Jagex made him sign a contract but otherwise he's just been working on pointless stuff.
>why dont we at least TRY...
because lincent, Zeka, and gen are still here. That's why. I'm learning C# and I want to make my own clone of AoS and branch of from there. But again, I have priorities and making a clone of AoS isn't on that list. At least yet.
>why are we letting this....
we're dead, no advertisement, this game is dying. It has to happen either way. Make your own game if you so desire.
>we are letting a free to play...
Look at what I said above :)
>we need to work together
We knew that from the beginning, but, look at back to my first answer.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

The following messages are brought to you by Detectorall, the gold mining solution.

what can we do that can revive this game again? : Start getting people to play.

i know it's dying. dont call me a fucking newfag. ive been playing for a LONG time. : You're still a fag.

what can we do to keep this game from going anymore downhill : Getting rid of it.

why does nobody care about this game anymore : Because its a piece of shit.

what is the point of moping around and complaining instead of taking action : To release held up autism.

why dont we try to contact ben : Because he can't help us.

why dont we at least TRY to act less depressed about this forum : Because the evil capitalism that ruined our game is ingrained in our memory.

why are we letting this happen : Because deep down inside, we already gave up.

we are letting a free to play game that has so much potential die : Brought to you by aloha.pk

we need to work together : but we won't.

somehow : Start a new website because Izzy doesn't know how to get involved.

idk how : Abandon community management.

but we have to : We can let this game die if we want, after all its just a game.

or rip aos forever : Rest in Reese's pieces, FOREVER.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Well I am not doing that much of work.

All I really do is I generate ideas and see how they work out. If IceBall starts supporting software rendering, I could re-implement ideas there. If LeCom makes one hell of a good rendering + game engine, then I would implement my ideas into that engine. I am not the hard-core coder, I am an "idea" coder.
And what I'd aim to do is make you see how shitty war truly is. Awesome explosions and whatnot, but in the end you'd see the many corpses on the battlefield and start having some second thoughts.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

>All I really do is I generate...
that's better than not working on OS at all.

Fuck dude, we don't care about morals of how "horrible war is". We already know that and it doesn't hurt to have fun simulating a war in a video game.
backwardsbash
Deuce

How come Ben can't get involved? He signed a contract with Jagex, yes, but isn't he still allowed to work on his old game? Is there anywhere I could at least personally email him to send appreciation or anything? The developer is the core of the game, where everything can happen. If he starts working on AoS again, the game can be saved.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

No, he completely handed all rights of AoS to jagex. He can't do anything. Go ahead and say thanks but that won't change anything :/
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

Some say Ben's HDD got fucked up in a mysterious way... So he lost the code.
But there is OpenSpades and LeCom said he is working on a faster Software renderer, but that isn't going to happen soon.
Kuunikal
Deuced Up

IMHO, as long as the project eventually gets finished and LeCom doesn't give up, I'll be happy. He can take as long as he needs, as long as this community doesn't completely die.
Chameleon
Modder
Modder

I say whatever, community can die off. As long as we have some good engine to work on, community can always be rebuilt.
Dare
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

Chameleon wrote:
I say whatever, community can die off. As long as we have some good engine to work on, community can always be rebuilt.
Yes, but how simple would it be to get people back to this game... Only server that is getting players to play regularly on it is Hallway Elevators server, which has some bot and mortar scripts from Lecom. Well, aloha gets players too but that's pretty much it.

If buildandshoot would be organized like it was 2 years ago, with those Leagues, Events and Announcements from admins, it would bring back some of the players. I'm not sure if any from the former admins is still checking the forums from time to time. A functioning website should have an admin like that.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

This game is dead, Lecom's efforts are pointless.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

and your pessimism doesn't help.

This community doesn't have a chance but we can rebuild one
longbyte1
Deuced Up

Look, there's supposed to be content in this post but for some bizarre reason there's not.

Oh, I know why. Because I've already said everything that needs to be said. This forum only has one purpose now, and it is to develop its successor. We are here for no other reason (and other than to s**tpost all over the place, apparently for some people). For all other intents and purposes, these forums are dead. The community lives on, but not here. When they hear that a maintainable reincarnation of AoS is rising out of the graveyard, rest assured that we will assemble again. And these forums will exist until the last possible effort to make AoS again has been exhausted. Then it will all be over.

Anyway, you wanna do something? Okay, let's start with design.

I don't know what the reincarnation of AoS will be. All that I know is that it will be AWESOME
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

Rest in Reese's pieces, FOREVER.
143 posts Page 1 of 10 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”