Voxel Rendering

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
8 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
AlmostAWeeaboo
Deuce

Is there a way to change the Ace of Spades rendering from "Bound Cubes" to just "Cubes"?
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

Nope. The game is closed source. you could try extracting it but I don't know if it's even possible to change the rendering style of AoS. BR probably knows more about it than I do
ByteBit
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

The only thing possible is to decompile the exe to assembly.
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

then give it a try, Icarus
LeCom

Icarus North wrote:
ByteBit wrote:
The only thing possible is to decompile the exe to assembly.
That's not too bad, convert that to hex and have a little fun. The Super Metroid hacking scene does that often
What they hack is a 20 years old 16 bit system. Small instruction set, everything is written in ASM directly in a way that makes it maintainable, and therefore, easy to change. Graphics code is obvious because it just interacts with the well-documented hardware.
AoS: Full x86 set, plus MMX. All written in "Ken code", that means: manual optimizations to the max, partly spaghetti code, lots of global variables with confusing names, SELF-MODIFYING CODE, you basically have no idea wtf is going on, and all that is vectorized. If you manage to reverse-engineer it into C, you literally have to reverse-engineer the C code again to have a basic understanding of what it does.
Then, I remember how BR was trying to change the AoS renderer and lots of variables and even complete functions from the Voxlap source were just missing. It looks like the compiler threw out a lot and optimized it even more. So you can assume that the source will not help you at all.
But, yeah, good luck :3
bloodfox
Post Demon
Post Demon

I'd like to see someone mess around with the renderer for AoS. Lemme know if you actually plan to do crazy shit, Icarus
LeCom

Icarus North wrote:
What if I got the source for RoyalSpades, do you think that'd help, or does it still use Ken's launcher?
Errm...
1. "Royal Spades is an open-sourced(licensed under Creative Commons by-nc-sa (link)) custom Ace of Spades Client Launcher" (http://www.buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3201)
2. What "Ken's launcher" are you talking about? What Ken wrote is the rendering code, and the OP would like it to be changed.

I actually realized right now that it's possible to just swap the KV6 renderer with a cube one. I can post my shitty rendering code from VXW; all one would need to change is reversing a few "updates" I did and replace the rectangle renderer with a polygon/cube one. Then it needs to be compiled and "inserted" into the AoS code, but quite some ASM hacking skill is required for that to work properly.
LeCom

Just read the first post I did in this thread... And please stop smoking that stuff.
8 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”