Back after a while, have some questions...

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
6 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Stiivais
Deuce

Hello everyone, i used to play this game back when it used to be called Ace of Spades (before JAGEX and all that) and remember how nice the community was (although i missed most of the forum tournament because of time zones and only build one cahir in the last hour). However, after coming back here and lurking in a couple of forum posts i see a lot of discussion that implies that this game is in various states of dying (dead, or in the process of becoming such), that there is a lack of admins, that there's quite a few hackers around and that the community, at least outside of forums, is now composed of people who just want just a generic, arcady shooter. Also, while in-game, i only saw about 3 full servers, the people in which didn't really feel like talking at all, and when they did, those were mostly insults... I don't really want to flame or anything, i was just wondering if you think that this game is worth getting into again, and what do you think the future holds for it?

I used to make skins for the old AoS (around the time when the modloader was made) and would like to try that again, if there's any demand for such stuff. I played around with OpenSpades a bit, though and it looks great, but i noticed that the "resolution" of the sights is higher than the rest of the model (images for ironsights are no longer used), which got me thinking - how much has modding changed for OpenSpades? Are there any new tools, that i would have to learn, perhaps a model editor that is a bit more intuitive than the old one? And good tutorials to bring me up to date?

Lastly, i remember that SIMOX was the top modder back in AoS, with weapon skins far better than anything i ever made. Is he still around, by any chance? What about the other "serious" (for a lack of a better word, those were the guys whom you'd stumble upon in most threads on the old forums) community members - Frosty, mikuli, kmaj, danhezee(read the forum post, kinda sad), ReubenMcHawk, StackOverflow, LinktersHD, Space101, Ki11aWi11, EldredChandler, KomradeKorakoff, Fleischgeruch and countless others i am no doubt forgetting? Actually, not to be so specific, does anyone have any idea, how many community members became a part of B&S instead of migrating over to AoS 1.0? Also, how is the development going along (i noticed more clients being mentioned)?
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Hello there, and welcome back to BnS! It's dead.
Anyhow, get to the questions.. I'm an 'oldfag' myself.

On modding OpenSpades and AoS derivatives: There's a new app called VoxelShop. Doesn't seem like it's still active.. You can check it out for yourself. It requires Java.

On modders; most of us are dead. SIMOX's dead. No one mods anymore. At least, the good ones. I myself stopped modding long ago.

On old members, only a third of those you mentioned: kmaj, Reuben, Stack(inactive), Eldred, Korakoff(inactive), Flei. Not much left is 'old'.

On BnS users migrating to 1.0, no one does because it's a piece of shit.

On alternative clients, LeCom's is going along well. Topo/Willy's is unknown, since it's still coding mostly; might have been stuck in development hell. ycx's OpenSpades is just dead.

And yes, you might want to attach yourself to a largely-dead-if-not-dead community if you so wish. Welcome back anyhow!
(I think I have met you before, your username sounds really familiar...)
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

I'm only around to give the smackdown to morons, the community is dead
EldredChandler
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

Stiivais wrote:
Frosty, mikuli, kmaj, danhezee(read the forum post, kinda sad), ReubenMcHawk, StackOverflow, LinktersHD, Space101, Ki11aWi11, EldredChandler
Aw hot damn, I'm remembered.

Also everyone left to do better things since there's 0 reasons to stay here, besides ones like reuben has. Even Dan jumped ship.
Stiivais
Deuce

MrHaaax wrote:
Oh, goddamnit, i did it again - i forgot you, of all people. I had a look at VoxelShop and it indeed seems nice, but as for everything else, just wow... Things are looking sad (except about JAGEX, because f*ck JAGEX). Makes me wonder, what would have happened if AoS would have been crowdfunded, instead of just sold like it was.

Maybe then the community still would be as good as back when 0.75 was released, and we'd have tournaments and IRC chat where you'd put down my crappy programming techniques and cahir building matches and "ban the user above you" threads and, and... Blue_Crying
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
That sounds awfully like you, i'm not even surprised.
EldredChandler wrote:
*sigh* that kinda sucks, all of the sudden my old retarded idea doesn't seem so bad anymore. Those guys will be missed.

Oh, and yesterday, while waiting for a response and derping around, i made a mod - a Mosin Nagant Carbine with a scope. Wanted to make a Soviet Weapons pack, but am not even sure if i should do this anymore, because now it seems like the most popular maps are these hallway things that make my eyes hurt and cry blood. Here's the forum post link, and for all it's good, i have to say that OpenSpades really opens up more possibilities for making custom models and even animations (if anyone would be still alive).

Here's a pretty (always wanted to make a proper scoped weapon for AoS, now it was finally possible):

If anyone needs me, i'll be in my bunk, learning how to make Voxels in Unity.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

BnS isn't dead, it's just full of corruption, hackers, and 4chan users.
Oh wait that's 1.x...
6 posts Page 1 of 1 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”