Symbolism: Babel game mode = Genesis 11

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
18 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
TheGreatestDest
Deuced Up

I've discovered that the Babel game mode in AOS is actually symbolism.

For those of you that don't get the historical background behind ToB, this is it...
In the Old Testament of the Bible, there was one part of human history which marked the beginning of humanism. After the Great Flood, the remains of humanity gathered in a city named Babel (aka Babylon). As a sign of rebellion against God, the people of Babel came up with a building project: build a tower high into the sky to reach Heaven.

As the Book of Genesis puts it:

4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
-Genesis 11:4-5

God responded to this by mixing up their languages, which inevitably stopped their project:

6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
-Genesis 11:6-9

Why is this symbolism in my eyes?

Because the language barrier confusion is exactly what happens in AOS' Babel game mode. The outbreak of Latin-Americans all over the game introduces an almost-unbreakable language barrier.

And thus, the matches collapse into chaos for the confused team. They then scatter all over the face of the map to die and build random things.
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

You forgot the part were the spanish speaking people start aimbotting.
MrHaaax
Modder
Modder

Oh shit the Church of Vatican is behind this!
Anyhow, good thinking. Might have been coincidental that the babel gamemode ends up being exactly like the Tower of Babel, or the creator of this game mode has planned this fron the start....
D:
LeCom

I think when babel was tested the first times, the limitation that players can't break blocks of their own team was added later and hadn't been planned at first.

Also, I thought it's obvious that ToB refers to the babel legend and that the legend is pretty famous.
Xpert658
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

It's kinda obvious that Babel is named and played similar to what is depicted in the Bible.
However, what you think is symbolism is kinda... overthinking it a bit.
Latin-Americans play a lot of other games. Maybe it's just a weird coincidence, that's all. We can't blame Latin-Americans for playing a fun game that happens to have a gamemode based on an event in the Bible.

Also, there isn't much teamwork being done in AoS... you don't need to talk to your team to win everytime (though it does help.)
Major Darkstar
Deuced Up

On a scale of 1 to even, I can't...

am I the only one who realized this was supposed to be a satire thread?
Revolet
Deuced Up

I always knew about the story behind the game-mode, but I never thought of the language barrier. You took it a step further. Nice.
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

As a person who has a bible in their library but doesn't bother to read. mind =
evanon
Deuce

when i started to feel bad about it I stop playing it until I change the way and purpose I play it..

Now I use it to enjoy babel but I don't get killed that much and I don't risk myself or talk like if I knew everyone, that way its more intimate for me, like when you play in like in a fantasy world where you just are roaming around with your own intentions just trying to help your team but not in the main intention, its fun to play that way, in other ways if you are a sensitive person you wont enjoy it, it become frustrating even if you're on top with the rifle, buagh I don't like it anymore.
peace. Green_Septic
Lincent
Veterans
Veterans

evanon wrote:
when i started to feel bad about it I stop playing it until I change the way and purpose I play it..

Now I use it to enjoy babel but I don't get killed that much and I don't risk myself or talk like if I knew everyone, that way its more intimate for me, like when you play in like in a fantasy world where you just are roaming around with your own intentions just trying to help your team but not in the main intention, its fun to play that way, in other ways if you are a sensitive person you wont enjoy it, it become frustrating even if you're on top with the rifle, buagh I don't like it anymore.
peace. Green_Septic
I don't like babel because it is always the same, a stair to babel, I would rather have a tower to babel.
ZEB 99
Post Demon
Post Demon

Lincent wrote:
evanon wrote:

peace. Green_Septic
I don't like babel because it is always the same, a stair to babel, I would rather have a tower to babel.
everyone here wants to make a tower but tactically challenged idiots keep making stairs
Atreyu
News Team
News Team

I almost posted this exact allusion, but discarded the idea because of my prophetic foreknowldge that few would appreciate it.

10/10 for posting though.
ZEB 99 wrote:
tactically challenged idiots
Watch your irony; 'tis a powerful tool that can destroy you.
Fleischgeruch
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

xCross wrote:
ZEB 99 wrote:
everyone here wants to make a tower but tactically challenged idiots keep making stairs
as if you could say anything about their idiocy
as if you could say anything about his
gen
Banned

xCross wrote:
Fleischgeruch wrote:
xCross wrote:
ZEB 99 wrote:
as if you could say anything about their idiocy
as if you could say anything about his
as if anyone was talking to you
as if anyone asked you
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

Loominaticonfirmed
18 posts Page 1 of 2 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”