This game needs a revival - My humble opinion

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
59 posts Page 3 of 4 First unread post
TheGrandmaster
Former Pre-BnS Team
Former Pre-BnS Team

0.35 league wouldn't really work, it wasn't what the game was about back then.
Today's versions are so linear, back in the day it was open and tactical.. I play completely differently in 0.35, I actually build and make tunnels.. and yes, it has a whole bunch of nostalgia :>
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

1Shot1Kill wrote:
I found this:
Seems like a pretty advanced trainer.
Yeah that, that was awesome.

"dongtrain3 years ago

Um, wow. Just wow. Not funny. Don't do it again."

lol
Spidercooce
Deuced Up

_Frocs_ wrote:
I agree with your opinion, that's my idea:

Main idea: Rebuilding the game by using Ken Silverman's voxlap engine, adding new features(like a helicopter for example) and prefered weapon balances.

some good points about the engine:

· grandmother's rig can run it
· simple
· modable(png, kv6, wav files)
· there is already an C starting code to program something
· physics already included

other ideas:

· if there would be some project finished, supporting it with ads and donations
· pyspades/pyspades compatibility

I haven't fully thought over this ideas, sry if they are shitty.
I dunno man.I just got to agree with you there because the idea of a shitty rig running it appeals to me :/
(The inner framerate whore within me just really wants 60fps)
Sasquatch
Mapper
Mapper

The game has not noticeably improved since it's conception. If it were improving, thousands of people wouldn't have left. A number of "retroists" along with myself have called for a return to older versions of the game, and every time it gets ignored, the game's maps get narrower and narrower, the community gets more and more immature and miniscule, and the game gets more frustrating as it turns into a fast paced run and gun game. Not like it matters, my criticisms will continue to be ignored until in a few years the game will be obsolete with no fanbase left. People will ask "Why, why?!" and it's because the direction of the game was altered to incorporate every nine year olds whim congruent to adding more useless options, more unbalanced weapons, and more accessibility. It has nothing to do with nostalgiagoggles, I told you guys this was what was going to happen two years ago and now the evidence is plainly in front of you.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Why would one decrease accessibility? Iceball did that and we saw where that ended up.
Sasquatch
Mapper
Mapper

Well, okay, poor choice of words. I meant that it was appropriated for everyones needs, not necessarily more accessible.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Sasquatch wrote:
The game has not noticeably improved since it's conception. If it were improving, thousands of people wouldn't have left.
You do realize the game's not updated in well over a year, possibly even two now, right? People leave because they get bored, that happens for every game.
A number of "retroists" along with myself have called for a return to older versions of the game, and every time it gets ignored, the game's maps get narrower and narrower, the community gets more and more immature and miniscule, and the game gets more frustrating as it turns into a fast paced run and gun game.
Nobody's stopping anyone from playing older versions, it's just that the staff will never just drop support for all but one version of the game. Also the very nature of the game doesn't allow it to "turn into" anything, it's whatever you want it to be.
Not like it matters, my criticisms will continue to be ignored until in a few years the game will be obsolete with no fanbase left.
This is what annoys me the most about the "retroist" mindset, the whole idea that unless everyone listens to this one person and follows their exact demands then the community will be dead. Especially when it's the idea that reverting back to a buggier version of the game would somehow give it a longer lifespan.
People will ask "Why, why?!" and it's because the direction of the game was altered to incorporate every nine year olds whim congruent to adding more useless options, more unbalanced weapons, and more accessibility.
So because change. Got it.
It has nothing to do with nostalgiagoggles, I told you guys this was what was going to happen two years ago and now the evidence is plainly in front of you.
Yeah, if two years ago you told me "eventually people will get bored of this game" then I'd agree.
EldredChandler
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

Fun fact; You are free to set up and play old versions with your 'retroist' buddies. No one is going to stop you.
dragonfree97
Deuce

OpenSpades should NOT be made the 'main version' of the game. That would alienate a large number of players who can't run OpenSpades (remember how one of the attractions of this game is 'it runs on your grandmother's PC) and all of the Hallwaychildren will soon work out how to download and install OpenSpades too.
EldredChandler

dragonfree97 wrote:
OpenSpades should NOT be made the 'main version' of the game. That would alienate a large number of players who can't run OpenSpades (remember how one of the attractions of this game is 'it runs on your grandmother's PC) and all of the Hallwaychildren will soon work out how to download and install OpenSpades too.
Spoiler:
I like Hallway
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

I don't think there's any distinct correlation between people with higher end computers and "Hallwaychildren" (good job equating a map to a likely-imaginary group of people you don't like btw)
Eimis
League Champs
League Champs

I think we should have an entire section for this kind of threads...
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

Ace of Spades Rant section?
Nikhao
League Champs
League Champs

Please.
EldredChandler

Alternatively to save time just re-name Classic Discussion to that.
59 posts Page 3 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”