This game needs a revival - My humble opinion

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
59 posts Page 1 of 4 First unread post
psomaster226
Deuce

I joined this game a month or so before Jagex bought it, so my opinions reflect ONLY version 0.75 and the current state of the game.

This game is really cool. I got my friends into it as soon as I could, and we've been playing on and off ever since. Over time, I'm seeing this game degenerate faster than a cancer patient. It's depressing. What needs to happen is change. I've heard a lot of people saying that previous versions were better than this one. Coming from no other versions, all I can say is we need a new one. The fact that everyone prefers an older version is a sign of a terrible current version.

Obviously, the developer is no longer working on the game, which is a shame, but that means that without anyone in charge, we are going nowhere. And when an incomplete game goes nowhere, people stop playing. And the people we do have left are almost always bitter and whiny. I don't know how, but someone, or some group of people need(s) to step up and fix this. The website keeps getting cooler, we have stuff like OpenSpades which looks awesome, but the core of the game is stuck in a disagreeable state. Without anyone to drive this game forward, it's just going to sink into the mud like many other games. I love this game and the idea of it, and I'd hate to see it die. And frankly, if someone else made a similar game, but was actually developing it, I'd ditch this game in a second, but as it stands, this is the best game of it's kind, and it's going to waste from inactivity.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

OpenSpades might get its own features separate from AoS which would then act as a community update
Jigsaw
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

we must kill .75 and we should support .76
_Frocs_
League Participant
League Participant

I agree with your opinion, that's my idea:

Main idea: Rebuilding the game by using Ken Silverman's voxlap engine, adding new features(like a helicopter for example) and prefered weapon balances.

some good points about the engine:

· grandmother's rig can run it
· simple
· modable(png, kv6, wav files)
· there is already an C starting code to program something
· physics already included

other ideas:

· if there would be some project finished, supporting it with ads and donations
· pyspades/pyspades compatibility

I haven't fully thought over this ideas, sry if they are shitty.
Jigsaw
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

_Frocs_ wrote:
I agree with your opinion, that's my idea:

Main idea: Rebuilding the game by using Ken Silverman's voxlap engine, adding new features(like a helicopter for example) and prefered weapon balances.

some good points about the engine:

· grandmother's rig can run it
· simple
· modable(png, kv6, wav files)
· there is already an C starting code to program something
· Ace of Spades physics already included

other ideas:

· if there would be some project finished, supporting it with ads and donations
· pyspades/pyspades compatibility

I haven't fully thought over this ideas, sry if they are shitty.
or we just support .76 ... :P
hacking is one of the biggest problems what ace of spades have, so when we change to .76 (there are no hacks) the problem gets solved... thats not the only reason why i prefer it, but a good example.. C:

but to build a new ''ace of spades'' sounds also good, but we already have OS, and i think it will get its own way in the future!
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

You're right, there's something special about 0.76 that makes it impossible to make cheats for.

Oh wait, there isn't.
Jigsaw
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
You're right, there's something special about 0.76 that makes it impossible to make cheats for.

Oh wait, there isn't.
unfortunately :C
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

All 0.76 has for it is a lack of public cheats, and if for some reason the admins did decide one day to drop support for the main game version in order to please a niche of a vocal minority of the community, someone would just make a cheat for that.
Fleischgeruch
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

How many more of these threads do you people need?
Come on it has to be at least 5 by now, every time there's a few that demand .75 to be removed and replaced with .76, another few that want OpenSpades to be the main focus, then someone shows arguments against all of those, and then someone shitposts the thread into being locked or abandoned. Repeat a week later.
Same goes for favorite/hated map threads.
#justBnSthings
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

Fleischgeruch wrote:
Come on it has to be at least 5 by now, every time there's a few that demand .75 to be removed and replaced with .76, another few that want OpenSpades to be the main focus, then someone shows arguments against all of those, and then someone shitposts the thread into being locked or abandoned. Repeat a week later.
#justBnSthings
Aye. New guys need to learn to read the forums before posting. Unfortunately they don't in which case they also fail to read the rules.
1Shot1Kill
Modder
Modder

Fleischgeruch wrote:
#justBnSthings
And no changes are ever made, 0.75 has and always will dominate AoS 0.x.
TheGrandmaster
Former Pre-BnS Team
Former Pre-BnS Team

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
All 0.76 has for it is a lack of public cheats, and if for some reason the admins did decide one day to drop support for the main game version in order to please a niche of a vocal minority of the community, someone would just make a cheat for that.
nah, it has other things.. like better hit-reg, and.. weapon balance but heck who needs those, right? Cheats are a small thing which is nice but not the version's advantage as just mentioned. The advice vs hackers would still be the same as it always has been.
Also, I don't think anyone has really gone behind the whole 'drop and move on' thing, we know BnS admins wouldn't do that anyway - but transferring to the new version while still supporting the old, it certainly a possibility.
The problem solely lies with the fact that Jagex did not want 0.76 released and so withheld it from us, and now we have this open community that isn't stepping up with what Jagex decided to put down.

Besides, I do think this is somewhat besides the point of the thread, which is about reviving the game and not about which version does the game die on.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

I'm all for supporting OpenSpades once it becomes its own game, but I've never been a fan of 0.76. The font renderer is hideous, not to mention the fact that it was never really released as a full version of the game.
TheGrandmaster
Former Pre-BnS Team
Former Pre-BnS Team

well, the font is piffle compared to the fixes to gameplay... and as for the release... Blue_Pistol [Jagex] Green_Pistol2

I'm interested in knowing where Openspades will go for sure, I am actually tempted to make my own fork of it/pysnip and roll it back to 0.35-level features lol
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

I would like to see a layer that would allow server owners to send 0.35-level features to any client that joins their servers and it be robust enough to send other features and assets to the client.

I am not entirely sure how to do that.
59 posts Page 1 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”