This game needs a revival - My humble opinion

The original, free Ace of Spades game powered by the Voxlap engine. Known as “Classic,” 0.75, 0.76, and all 0.x versions. Created by Ben Aksoy.
59 posts Page 4 of 4 First unread post
Vezok
3 Years of Ace of Spades
3 Years of Ace of Spades

danhezee wrote:
Ace of Spades Rant section?
Danhezee for president.
Sasquatch
Mapper
Mapper

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
The game has not noticeably improved since it's conception. If it were improving, thousands of people wouldn't have left.
You do realize the game's not updated in well over a year, possibly even two now, right? People leave because they get bored, that happens for every game.
Minecraft Wow, LoL, CoD, TF2, hell tons of games still have an enormous player base.
A number of "retroists" along with myself have called for a return to older versions of the game, and every time it gets ignored, the game's maps get narrower and narrower, the community gets more and more immature and miniscule, and the game gets more frustrating as it turns into a fast paced run and gun game.
Nobody's stopping anyone from playing older versions, it's just that the staff will never just drop support for all but one version of the game. Also the very nature of the game doesn't allow it to "turn into" anything, it's whatever you want it to be.
I'll address this in the other thread. The community as a whole needs to embrace older versions for them to become relevant. One person nor a handful of people can change that.
Not like it matters, my criticisms will continue to be ignored until in a few years the game will be obsolete with no fanbase left.
This is what annoys me the most about the "retroist" mindset, the whole idea that unless everyone listens to this one person and follows their exact demands then the community will be dead. Especially when it's the idea that reverting back to a buggier version of the game would somehow give it a longer lifespan.
Historically actually, yes, online communities that try to be hyper-inclusive tend to fall apart quickly. You already know how many people are that left the game because it's "not what it used to be."
People will ask "Why, why?!" and it's because the direction of the game was altered to incorporate every nine year olds whim congruent to adding more useless options, more unbalanced weapons, and more accessibility.
So because change. Got it.
Actually, yes.
It has nothing to do with nostalgiagoggles, I told you guys this was what was going to happen two years ago and now the evidence is plainly in front of you.
Yeah, if two years ago you told me "eventually people will get bored of this game" then I'd agree.
And I'm the one that lacks vision.
EldredChandler
Build and Shoot's 1st Birthday

Sasquatch wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
The game has not noticeably improved since it's conception. If it were improving, thousands of people wouldn't have left.
You do realize the game's not updated in well over a year, possibly even two now, right? People leave because they get bored, that happens for every game.
Minecraft Wow, LoL, CoD, TF2, hell tons of games still have an enormous player base.
Minecraft, WoW, LoL and TF2 all receive updates. CoD isn't one game so I'm not even sure why you're counting that. Please read what people post before commenting
Sasquatch
Mapper
Mapper

EldredChandler wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
Minecraft, WoW, LoL and TF2 all receive updates. CoD isn't one game so I'm not even sure why you're counting that. Please read what people post before commenting
I forgot to address that part in particular. Please remember that many people considered the game to be regressing even when updates after .30 or whatever were occurring.
EldredChandler

Sasquatch wrote:
I forgot to address that part in particular. Please remember that many people considered the game to be regressing even when updates after .30 or whatever were occurring.
And? Most player bases of any game feel that way about the games they play.

CoD players complain that the new games aren't like 4, Minecraft players miss how it was in beta, WoW has been losing players for a while, and any player of tf2 who has played for a while has hated the fact that it's all about hats and hacking F2P kids now.

I prefer .60 over .7x and gen maps over flat ones or arena, but I don't go around saying the game is dead because no one plays the version I like.
Spoiler:
Because I don't try to seem superior to everyone by saying that I'm incredibly intelligent person for noticing that the player base has gone down because 'people play the game differently than me.'
danhezee
Former Admin / Co-founder
Former Admin / Co-founder

Sasquatch I just want to point out you are in these threads dramatizing nothing is happening but you also created a thread celebrating zombie A.I. Which is contradictory.

I am not really picking on you just saw your thread you created and then I saw your post here and they didn't jive.

The next two paragraphs aren't directed at any person specifically, just an observation.

The people taking the non sequitur route to debating where they state nothing is happening and no one is doing anything because they still see people playing on a map they don't like doesn't really encourage healthy discussion.

I think everyone that creates threads like these and participates in them they dont want to see things collapse but sometimes the stance they take doesnt leave much room for compromise or debate.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Sasquatch wrote:
These are all games still being updated.
I'll address this in the other thread. The community as a whole needs to embrace older versions for them to become relevant. One person nor a handful of people can change that.
Not really, people just need to play the versions they want and leave it at that. Trying to force things onto other people seems kinda fascist, don't you think?
Historically actually, yes, online communities that try to be hyper-inclusive tend to fall apart quickly. You already know how many people are that left the game because it's "not what it used to be."
If people are quitting the community because they don't get their way 100% of the time, I say good riddance.
Actually, yes.
You're seriously saying the game and community were ruined by change. Wow.
And I'm the one that lacks vision.
Show me a thriving growing community for a game that hasn't been updated in over two years. With a few rare exceptions you won't find any. You don't lack vision, you're just entirely wrong.
Captain_Pi
Artist
Artist

Well, in his defense, CoD does update. Those updates just don't change anything and the game ends up staying the same.

I can't say anymore other than say Reuben is agreeable. The game does need more players (like all other small-scale games), but forcing bullshit into the game is a terrible way to do it.
Major Darkstar
Deuced Up

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Show me a thriving growing community for a game that hasn't been updated in over two years. With a few rare exceptions you won't find any. You don't lack vision, you're just entirely wrong.
Battlefield 1942 and GTA SAMP would like to have a word with you.
Jdrew
Mapper
Mapper

Those are exceptions, also BF 1942 will be shutdown soon Blue_Septic
Fleischgeruch
Winter Celebration 2013
Winter Celebration 2013

Major Darkstar wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
If you're talking about MTA, it is updated regularly.
Battlefire

Making .76 the main version won't help. If the population rises so will the cheats.
ReubenMcHawk
Organizer
Organizer

Major Darkstar wrote:
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Those would be some of the rare exceptions, and AoS doesn't have nearly the lasting power these do.
Zyc
Deuced Up

ReubenMcHawk wrote:
You're right, there's something special about 0.76 that makes it impossible to make cheats for.

Oh wait, there isn't.
Alright guys, I already look for it, and I didn't find any way to cheat in rc10 so with public player there's no problems anymore.
I also tried to modify the 0.75 cheat client source, and it's worked, so it's possible to cheat on this game, these cheat can be used by anyone if you know how to code. Aswell this isn't a proof of quality player, you could play with a no spread or no recoil, no one would tell you anything if there is no scripts as banhammer.py on the pysnip server.

Then I think the main problem of this version is the GBL, I believe that since Jagex bought it, there's no admins who give a damn about this list (I believe that's why aloha player killer did their own).

I already work on a client who looks already as in NYC APSEN video So it's already able to become a patch installation for voxlap version. This patch wasn't released cause there is already a lot of things to correct :/
ReubenMcHawk wrote:
Don't really think that's the problem, AoS can be modified by pysnip's python, you can make some interresting mod, there's not need to change version to change some features of the gameplay.
And yeah that's already true, I don't think that admins are working on a new client or something this way. That why I'll probably make some gmaeplay on my own version, this should give some idea to the staff cause how a kid as me can do a voxlap correction in less than 5 month and the BnS community can do it ?!

Already you guys can play in this version 0.75 or you can add some server as 0.35 or 0.70 or every other aviable version on the master, you just have to make a pysnip server or a classic server.exe to play with your friend then there will not need any update anymore.

Anyway I already enjoy to play AoS classic and try to make another client, so you could already learn how to, then talk to staff, I don't even think that the will not help you to fix your client. They already did it of OpenSpades ...
59 posts Page 4 of 4 First unread post
Return to “Ace of Spades 0.x Discussion”